2024 Offseason Thread - It’s FINALLY here

5 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Now we've finally got to the end of this season we can, hopefully, say goodbye to the following UFAs: Nosek, Tierney, Smith, MacDermid, DeSimone and Kahkonen. I will miss none of them.

MacDermid will be back. Fitz said as much. And that’s fine. His mere presence keeps other teams in line. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Now we've finally got to the end of this season we can, hopefully, say goodbye to the following UFAs: Nosek, Tierney, Smith, MacDermid, DeSimone and Kahkonen. I will miss none of them.

The RFAs are Mercer, Nolan Foote, McLeod and Cal Foote. I'm guessing the last two will be gone. Nolan Foote could still have a bottom six role imo if he is finally healthy, so, maybe a one year prove yourself deal. I'm pretty sure we all want Mercer back. After this season I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a bridge deal as I don't think anyone really knows where he's going to end up yet.

At the AHL level there will be the usual large turnover of players with the only notable RFAs being Clarke, Hatakka, Daws and Schmid, and it wouldn't shock me if they all return.

Kahkonen was quite good in his small sample here, but that's all it was...a small sample.  Jake's save% as a Devil fell all the way down to .900 after last night (all his Devils numbers took a beating after that hot start), but let's face it, not many goalies would've flourished over a full season with the 2023-24 Devils.  This team was absolutely atrocious in its own end, almost all season.

Yeah, like MD2020 said, MacDermid will be back, and will probably dress in games where goonish goofuses like Rempe are playing.  Better than that Rempe running amok taking out god knows who.

I don't really want the others back, but I swear if Smith somehow returns...that just can't fvcking happen.  I'd have to wonder what the hell Fitz watched all year long to think that's a good decision.

Yeah re:  the AHLers, I suspect all will be back.  Maybe one of Daws or Schmid is gone, if Malek or Brennan is worked into the AHL.  Poulter's also in the mix.  

• Like 3

Fitz likely will take his time with the coaching hire, as he should. The thing is that Berube seems like the most obvious choice, but he may not actually be the best fit for this group. I don't think any of us know that one way or the other for certain. I won't be surprised at all if Fitz hires someone who is a bit more under the radar. The fan base would completely lose it, but that doesn't mean that Fitz whiffed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

The Devils need someone like him after the Lindy/Green sh!tshow, but I’d be surprised if he were fired.

All I ask of our new coach is to let lines develop chemistry and for the love of freaking god stop with the selective accountability.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

All I ask of our new coach is to let lines develop chemistry and for the love of freaking god stop with the selective accountability.

The second part shouldn’t be an issue with Torts.  I’ve not watched a lot of Flyers games, so I can’t speak for his line management.

24 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Nice!  This should be a good opportunity for growth for both players.

I always see these tournaments the same way:

PLEEEEEASE DON’T GET HURT!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

23 days till Worlds so we won't have to wait too long to see some Devils in action

Hope we start to see Fitz in action by then too.

• EvilHeart 2

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Fitz better be in action right now as we speak, let alone 23 days from now.

As far as player transactions go, I'm not expecting much of anything until the season ends.  Maybe some signings (think Fitz just signed some undrafted college player to a two-year deal).  Curious to see if Luke gets an extension ahead of his final ELC season, but I can see his camp waiting until he's a RFA before signing; if he takes a big step forward, hard to imagine he won't be among the top-paid Devils, on a max-term deal, come 2025-26.

The situation that's going to be interesting to see play out is Mercer's...assuming that he's not moved.  I wouldn't go more than two years for him at this point...Fitz doesn't have to lock up EVERYONE long-term.  I think 2 years $3 - 3.5 million is pretty fair...that's still a big raise, and he really finished out this season in meh fashion.  If he puts up numbers closer to 2022-23 (and can become more consistent), then maybe he gets bigger money.  BUT, gotta admit, I have a feeling this is all going to become another GM's deal to figure out.  If the Devils have to pay a top-end veteran goalie and are expecting to have to pay Luke and Nemec and eventually plan re-up Nico (he's already four years into his current deal), hard to think that Mercer won't become the odd man out...just a "Can't pay everybody" kind of scenario.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as player transactions go, I'm not expecting much of anything until the season ends. 

He better be looking for a coach RIGHT NOW. I wasn’t really referring to player transactions. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

He better be looking for a coach RIGHT NOW. I wasn’t really referring to player transactions. 

Oh I'm with ya, I didn't mention that specifically because I already consider that an absolute no-brainer given.

Still hoping for an announcement that the Devils are moving on from Green sooner than later.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

No wonder he looked the way he did early on, holy hell... 

Yeah that would do it.  And he definitely did not look right for a while.

• Like 2

We wonder if Fitz will go with a retread coach (Gabby/Sutter etc. ) or take a shot at a "successful" college coach.

?We may still see a couple firings or mutual "departing".  Sullivan would be my 1st choice in that event. I agree CR that this is his last shot. I'd love to see us get bigger/physical. We need someone to replace McLeod.  I think he was way more important to this team than we know. I'd love M. Olivier (CBJ) on our bottom 6.  I wouldn't be upset if Mercer/Holtz were traded. Address goaltending issue 1st.