2024 Offseason Thread - It’s FINALLY here

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think there's a single Devils fan who would be on board with Green getting the job.  Literally NO ONE.

Especially if it means the rest of the staff stay i.e. Rogalski, McGill, Taylor. Just keep Timex.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Especially if it means the rest of the staff stay i.e. Rogalski, McGill, Taylor. Just keep Timex.

I still like the idea of Brylin potentially getting the HC gig with Utica, but who knows if that’s even under consideration.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think there's a single Devils fan who would be on board with Green getting the job.  Literally NO ONE.

I saw someone supporting the idea on YouTube but, to be fair, they didn't say they were a Devils fan lol.

Coaching- Disciplinarian? (like Torts-no bs) or a "players" coach? like (Larry Robinson). Is there someone in the middle available? What type coach is Berube? I think the previous Minny coach? ((N)Єverson) might be a good consideration?  Would Dineen apply? I'm guessing Fitz is interviewing now. Will they hold Jack, Luke, everyone accountable? (sit for multiple turnovers?  

After last years success, and great pre-season, we all thought we'd cruise through the season. Fitz will need to really need to cross the T's and lower case J's. And he's going to go into next season with Jake Allen & Kahkonen. He needs a better 1/2 punch than that

51 minutes ago, vincois said:

Coaching- Disciplinarian? (like Torts-no bs) or a "players" coach? like (Larry Robinson). Is there someone in the middle available? What type coach is Berube? I think the previous Minny coach? ((N)Єverson) might be a good consideration?  Would Dineen apply? I'm guessing Fitz is interviewing now. Will they hold Jack, Luke, everyone accountable? (sit for multiple turnovers?  

After last years success, and great pre-season, we all thought we'd cruise through the season. Fitz will need to really need to cross the T's and lower case J's. And he's going to go into next season with Jake Allen & Kahkonen. He needs a better 1/2 punch than that

Kahkonen is a UFA and so far it doesn't seem like Fitz has much interest in bringing him back, so he's not going into next season with a tandem of Allen and Kahkonen.  He's made it very clear that he's planning on going after a bigger name, with Allen to serve as the backup (and with Montreal retaining money, Allen's deal is very reasonable...under $2 million for 2024-25).  Of course, Fitz has to actually follow through on getting that bigger name.  If he were to ever circle back to Kahkonen or go with someone like Markstrom or Gibson or Binnington, I'd be disappointed as fvck. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Pleased to see a young guy like Nemec putting in the work despite the season being over.

Not surprised one bit.  Nemec will be the complete package, in just about every possible way.  

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not surprised one bit.  Nemec will be the complete package, in just about every possible way.  

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I expect Nemec to be a regular Norris candidate 

I’ve high hopes for Nemec as well.  I just hope he has a chance to work with a defensive coach who knows what he’s doing.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I expect Nemec to be a regular Norris candidate 

As long as voters don’t obsess over point totals.  I think Nemec is going to be an excellent all-arounder, but won’t ever be a pure points beast.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

Or another way to put it, re:  Luke and Simon…Luke will be more dynamic and have more memorable moments, and will put up bigger glamour numbers.  Simon will be so damned good at just about everything that he’ll almost be easy to take for granted, and on the rare occasion that he makes an egregious mistake, it will come almost as a complete shock.

One guy will mature into being that player that can begin to make something out of nothing when you really need him to (but will occasionally have you shaking your head).  The other one will settle things down and help to snuff the other team out.  Both will be special in different ways.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Or another way to put it, re:  Luke and Simon…Luke will be more dynamic and have more memorable moments, and will put up bigger glamour numbers.  Simon will be so damned good at just about everything that he’ll almost be easy to take for granted, and on the rare occasion that he makes an egregious mistake, it will come almost as a complete shock.

One guy will mature into being that player that can begin to make something out of nothing when you really need him to (but will occasionally have you shaking your head).  The other one will settle things down and help to snuff the other team out.  Both will be special in different ways.

Agree completely with this, and I think we’ve already seen signs of this based on their respective performances this season.  Both had their moments, but Luke’s were more visible, whereas Simon’s were more subtle.  Consider the below examples:

In the first clip—perhaps the best individual play of the season for the Devils—Luke skates end-to-end to score a game-tying goal against the Blue Jackets, evoking memories of Scott Niedermayer’s mad-dash against Detroit almost twenty nine years ago and showing why so many rave about Luke’s superior speed and skating ability.

In the second clip, Nemec picks up a primary assist on an Alex Holtz goal against the Blackhawks, but what really makes the score possible is not Simon’s playmaking but his earlier awareness and ability to ensure the puck stays in the attacking zone.  Keep-ins don’t contribute to point totals, but they play an important role in the success or failure of a possession.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Nemec vs 2 Hughes' for Norris wheeeee!

My only concern about this scenario is that Luke and Simon might be indirectly penalized because they’re teammates.  Sometimes, candidates from the same team split the vote, allowing another player to ultimately win.

Edited by ButlerBulldog

16 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

My only concern about this scenario is that Luke and Simon might be indirectly penalized because they’re teammates.  Sometimes, candidates from the same team split the vote, allowing another player to ultimately win.

Stealing votes from each other was my thought as well, but who cares as long as they’re in the convo, means we have a solid defense finally.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

It was just a thought. 😞

• Like 2