THN: Messier best captain ever

RowdyFan42

Beyond the promise, Messier a true leader in all areas

The Hockey News

For many, the notion of Mark Messier, the consummate leader, begins and ends with his bold guarantee of victory in Game 6 of the 1994 Eastern Conference final.

It was the stuff of legend and instantly placed the New York Rangers captain in the rare company of sports icons Joe Namath and Muhammad Ali, who spun empty promises into timeless measures of greatness.

Messier, of course, scored three third-period goals to erase an early 2-0 New Jersey lead in Game 6 to force a seventh game, which the Rangers won in double OT en route to their first Stanley Cup in 54 years.

He scored the Cup-winning goal in the seventh game against Vancouver to put an exclamation point on one of the most storied championship runs in NHL history.

But Messier's guarantee and his subsequent delivery of the goods merely made good copy. It didn't make him a great leader, but rather cemented his place in hockey history as the game's greatest captain ever.

Critics will suggest Messier's leadership capabilities waned post-1994. True, his teams in Vancouver and then during his high-profile return to New York failed to qualify for the playoffs from 1997-98 through 2004. But given his accomplishments and the testimonials of teammates and coaches, the Moose's entire body of work as a leader and performer is as impressive as the powerful beast he was affectionately named after.

Because the 1994 Cup run shines so brightly, many forget Messier had earlier on established himself as a player whom others rallied around.

In 1984, when Edmonton won its first Cup, Messier, not Wayne Gretzky, earned playoff MVP honors.

When Gretzky was shipped to Los Angeles in 1988, the Oilers were expected to fade into oblivion. Two years later Messier, wearing the "C", hoisted the Cup again. After finishing second behind Gretzky in scoring, the 29-year-old won his first Hart Trophy.

Messier won another Hart in 1992 after moving to New York, where he was instantly honored with the captaincy. He was an MVP finalist again the year after the Rangers ended their Cup drought.

The first man to captain two teams to championships is perhaps the finest two-way player ever. While he joined his Edmonton teammates in racking up impressive numbers (he is No. 2 only to Gretzky, having passed Gordie Howe in the all-time points list in 2003), Messier was always a presence at both ends of the ice.

He was suspended four times, including a 10-game sentence in 1984-85 for cracking Jamie Macoun's cheekbone in a fight he initiated.

Former NHL coach Jacques Demers said that once Messier got going it was nearly impossible to stop him and the late Bob Johnson, who coached in Calgary, likened Messier to NFL great Jim Brown. "He's a bull with finesse," Johnson said.

His imposing visage coupled with a fearsome "look" was intimidating to opposing players, officials and teammates.

He was known to rearrange the Rangers dressing room so that no one could escape his menacing glare, but also knew that with captaincy came a greater responsibility than chewing out the rookies and offering up a few morsels for the media.

Messier was known as the ultimate leader by example.

It was Messier who visited New York firefighters involved in the 9/11 rescue effort, donning their gear so he'd have a sense of what they faced that day. Afterwards, he refused to discuss the visit with reporters.

There were dozens of unrecorded visits to hospitals, especially children's units, and Messier was always willing to give time and money to causes.

Longtime teammate Adam Graves, a gentleman and true leader himself, revered Messier. Tony Amonte called him the best hockey captain ever.

When Messier returned to New York after a three-year stint in Vancouver, Ranger captain Brian Leetch showed up at the press conference with Messier's jersey with his trademark No. 11 on the back and the signature "C" on the front.

The move brought Messier to tears.

"He would be our leader regardless of what's on his shirt," Leetch said. Enough said.

I know there is a lot of argument against Messier around here because of the lack of Ranger improvement since coming back to NY.

Not all of the world's great leaders were always successful at all points in their life. To me, Leaders are best judged by their peers and not always by comparing their accomplishments side by side with others. To say Messier had his hands full on being thrown back in to New York expected to fix Smith and Sather's mess is an understatement. Through out his career, Messier has been regard by tons of his teammates as the best captain they ever played for. Even though it pains me to say this after all the heartaches that bastard caused, I'm willing to take their word for it

Not all of the world's great leaders were always successful at all points in their life. To me, Leaders are best judged by their peers and not always by comparing their accomplishments side by side with others. To say Messier had his hands full on being thrown back in to New York expected to fix Smith and Sather's mess is an understatement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your point is understood, but the single-most defining characteristic of the most recent Messier teams was their lack of leadership.

In fact, I would challenge you to name any team in the history of sports that had worse leadership than the Messier-led Rangers of the last few years.

The thing that sticks out in my mind was a couple years ago when the Rangers' playoff lives were coming down to a single must-win game. Messier went to the media and said that the game was going to rest squarely on the shoulders of Dan Blackburn. That's right, on a team with 20 overpaid veteran all-stars, the game rests on the shoulders of your nervous 18-year-old rookie goalie. Amazing leadership.

hey Pezzer has a point. :evil:

Messier is great media fodder though. He provides everything - skill, toughness, loud mouth, commercial appeal, longevity. He's clung on for so long and has jumped around some so it's hard to say how his consitancy compairs to others.

I dont think Stevens is the best captain ever. He's got something but it's not conscious I dont think. He has no control over his leadership - it's not a parlour trick, something he can turn on at will. Things have to line up -- if they all do then his leadership clicks into superhuman. That's kind of what I think. and it sucks too... see if you ponder it it opens up a whle can pf personal worms for you -- why CAN'T it just be turned on? What is he not seeing... blahdee blahdee blah -- is he being lazy unmotivated has he been resting on a gift or is there something he's missing... :blahblah:

I'm not sure what Yzerman's got that in my opinion does rank him above Stevens I guess in consistancy... :noclue:

I dont know -- but I only want to pink fluffy bunny boink Stevens so some may say he's doing somethihng right.... or not :evil:

Harrumph.

I'm not impressed by the Cup with two different teams. I'm wayyyyyy more impressed by Stevens' and Yzerman's three with the same one.

By a sizable margin. And it has nothing to do with the team(s) he hails from.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who had more pressure on them? It's not even close. Messier came to NY and stared history in the face and was integral in rallying the team back. He did what he was brought here to do.

There's a lot more pressure in NY than there ever will be in NJ.

It's just not the same cup of tea.

Yzerman is second imo because he was the great captain of Detroit and faced similar history.

And as far as the cheapshots at the recent Rangers, let's get one thing clear. Those teams were terribly assembled and had zero chemistry and no accountability. They also didn't have a good coach.

Things were vastly different when Messier cameback here than when he left.

Before he left, they were more of a TEAM. That's why they were able to upset the Devils in '97.

All that went out the window under Cablevi$ion. The single worst thing that happened to the Rangers and Knicks.

Those teams ... had zero chemistry and no accountability.

These were the observations that led me to the conclusion that their leadership was awful. What do you think a leader is supposed to provide?

Please, name a sports team that had worse leadership than Messier's most recent Rangers.

Those teams ... had zero chemistry and no accountability.

These were the observations that led me to the conclusion that their leadership was awful. What do you think a leader is supposed to provide?

Please, name a sports team that had worse leadership than Messier's most recent Rangers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ultimately, a team captain can only do so much. If the players don't play for the cause, nothing good will come of it.

To be honest, you come off extremely bitter.

What's the difference between a captain whose team missed the playoffs and a captain whose leadership came into question for first round choke jobs after having arguably the best team in the game?

Conclusion: There's none.

Edited by Derek21

The difference here is that the captain couldn't make the Devils play offense, which was typically their downfall. They played as a team in those playoff years they lost, but they couldn't get any scoring going.

Messier's teams have missed the playoffs the last seven seasons. All of the teams he has been a part of have been marked by a decided lack of leadership and factions within the locker rooms.

I don't blame Messier for what happened when he returned to New York. However, his fracturing presence in Vancouver has to be looked at.

Don is right about 94, if the Rangers don't win, Messier's name isn't even mentioned.

Who had more pressure on them? It's not even close. Messier came to NY and stared history in the face and was integral in rallying the team back. He did what he was brought here to do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say just the opposite -- going 54 years without a Cup, could the expectations have been lower for Messier's Ranger$? Sure, fans expected the team might have a realistic shot at the Cup with Mess and the rest of the roster Smith put together, but to say there was incredible pressure on him is a little revisionist.

Compare it to Curt Schilling. Did he have the pressure of a city on his back? Or would Boston fans have considered it just another "cursed" disappointment if Schilling couldn't bring home the title?

<JESTER>

Less pressure on Messier? What are you talking about? There's a difference between being counterintuitive and just plain out there.

You're using the word 'expectation' in a different sense; no one in New York was 'expecting' a Cup, but that doesn't mean pressure is directly related to expectation. There was also plenty of pressure on Curt Schilling. No one wants to be associated with yet another string of failures.

Plus, no one who has any sense bases 'expectation' on 54 years of past failure. Most of the players who played on those teams are gone. If anything, there was more tension; for once, the Rangers had assembled a Cup-worthy squad, and a lot of the players were old: they had to win now.

No doubt Mess is one of the all time leaders. No doubt!! But it is short sighted. No writer wants to accept that there was a sport before Mess came aboard. And it goes on: Chicago Bulls were called the greatest basketball team ever. OOPS! Some writer forgot to mention that the Celtics of the 60's won 11 out of 13 rings. Gee, how did that slip by. What about that team called the Canadiens? Think they might have something to say about that?? Ever hear of Denis Potvin? He played too, I'm told. But maybe I'm wrong!!!

PS: Didn't Messier have 9 former Oilers on that '94 team?

By the way, I dont mean this to sound like a knock on Mess (although it does). I agree that he's one of the greatest leaders in my time. But let's cut the sh*t about "all time" shall we?

Messier IS one of the best captains ever. I'm not quite sure I'd pin him as THE best captain of all time, but he ranks up there. Even though he appears to be a major ego-maniac asswipe, I have respect for his game. It would be so easy to look at his later years with the Rangers and say 'well gee, he lead his team into the tubes', but I'm a little hestitant to say that because of the circumstances he was in. I think he did stick around too long though. He should have retired a few years ago. It just seems like he's sticking around to prove something to himself, that he can still get the job done and be damn great at it...but I don't see it that way. I see a person staying past their welcome. Just my two cents, though.