NHL makes two proposals to union

hattrick

Sorry if previously posted.... :noclue:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=118661

TSN.ca Staff

3/17/2005

The NHL made two proposals to the NHLPA today during a meeting in New York. One was a de-linked proposal with a team salary cap of $37.5 million, five million dollars less than the league's last offer in Feburary. The other was a linked proposal at 54 per cent of league revenues, whatever they may be. That represents a one per cent decline from previous linked proposals from the NHL to the NHLPA.

After the meeting NHL executive vice president and chief legal officer Bill Daly issued a news release:

"We made another collective bargaining proposal today which offered the Union a choice of two approaches for moving forward," Daly said. "The first proposal was based on the 'de-linked' salary cap framework that was on the table when the season was cancelled in mid-February. We indicated that to the extent this was a framework that the Union remained interested in pursuing, the League would be prepared to continue negotiations -- provided an agreement could be achieved within the next several weeks.

"Alternatively, we proposed a negotiated relationship between total Player Compensation and League-wide revenues, which we made clear was our preference.

"The Union deferred responding to our new proposal, pending internal discussions it intends to conduct over the next week. We will have no further comment at this time regarding the precise details of our proposal."

The NHL will have a board of govenors meeting April 20, at which time they will further consider their options, including replacement players. Teams were asked at the last governors meeting to do research on the various options and report back, which is the purpose of this meeting.

At the conclusion of today's meeting, NHLPA Executive Director Bob Goodenow released the following statement:

"Last week, Gary (Bettman) asked me how to resume discussions for a new CBA. I told Gary to bring forward any proposal that he believed would be of interest to the players. Today, Gary gave us two salary cap proposals. Both proposals were very similar to ones that we previously rejected several times. We will be determining our next steps and responding at the appropriate time."

The NHLPA is obligated to counter propose though, on the first de-linked offer, I think they're going to counter propose that one

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I could see that. The players will probably come back with 70% of revenues, thus proving they still don't get it, and never will. And the merry-go-round continues................

Oh well.  At least they're talking.  I wonder what the players themselves think about the fact that the cap numbers are coming down.  Too bad we probably won't get an honest answer out of anyone.  I'm surprised the league came in at 37.5, it seems a little bit too high, especially given that the league isn't going to make much money when they come back, and that it's only going to go up from there during negotiation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, tell that to Goodenow. Jerk-off was probably insulted with $37.5. You know, because the NHL makes all this money they don't tell anyone about.

well what did Goodenow say to Bettman....put up or shut up.

The meeting itself was only 30 minutes, and 37.5 isn't really putting up, so I hope Goodenow slapped him good for that one. But that's where Bettman wants to start.

no linkage is good, and the players should negotiate the 37.5 to something like 45 mil, this is what the compromise originally should've been a month ago.

The meeting itself was only 30 minutes, and 37.5 isn't really putting up, so I hope Goodenow slapped him good for that one. But that's where Bettman wants to start.

no linkage is good, and the players should negotiate the 37.5 to something like 45 mil, this is what the compromise originally should've been a month ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It wasn't there a month ago- do you REALLY think all of the sudden it's going to be there NOW- after the league cut off it's nose despite it's face by cancelling the season? Are you mad? They'll be lucky to get 40 at this point. You had a bunch of the hardliners wanting to kill Bettman for offering $42.5.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It wasn't there a month ago- do you REALLY think all of the sudden it's going to be there NOW- after the league cut off it's nose despite it's face by cancelling the season? Are you mad? They'll be lucky to get 40 at this point. You had a bunch of the hardliners wanting to kill Bettman for offering $42.5.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so I guess either they negotiate 37.5 ,or Bettman goes to court and is forced to play under the old CBA, or replacement players flop and they play under the old CBA.

it's your choice Gary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so I guess either they negotiate 37.5 ,or Bettman goes to court and is forced to play under the old CBA, or replacement players flop and they play under the old CBA.

it's your choice Gary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No- it's about time the rank and file of the PA and the agents grew a set and ran Goodenow the f--k out of dodge. I'm convinced that as long as Goodenow is in charge, he'll do anything he can to not play hockey in order to show everyone what a tough guy he is. The guys who want to play and actually start MAKING money again should stop being such a bunch of pussies and start arranging the palace coup. Maybe sanity can finally prevail then.

That proposal sums up the owners. Only the hardliners count. Maybe they can negotiate to 40 million. That's what I believe the owners want. That's probably why they came in with 37.5.

Talk to me when the deal is done. I'm ready!

The PA won't be able to get it to $45 mil. I'd be surprised if they got it to $42.5 mil again. They should know this and so should you, 7.

It's OK to be pro-player but you also need to see the reality of the situation.

who says every team needs to spend that much?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay. Every team just officially decided that they want to spend less than $37.5 M. Now what?

If you think teams can decide what their maximum is, why do you have a problem with this?

who says every team needs to spend that much?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay. Every team just officially decided that they want to spend less than $37.5 M. Now what?

If you think teams can decide what their maximum is, why do you have a problem with this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it isn't exactly majority rule when it comes to the owners. this is basically bettman, wirtz & jacobs (big market tightwads) and some bottom feeders.

Edited by '7'

The PA won't be able to get it to $45 mil.  I'd be surprised if they got it to $42.5 mil again.  They should know this and so should you, 7.

It's OK to be pro-player but you also need to see the reality of the situation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am pro player but this post is an accurate assessment of things. Remember, the 37.5 the owners came in with won't be the final number. I figure maybe they get it to 40 or 41 and that's the deal.

Why would the players ever accept less than 42.5 million? Is their leadership that incompetent that they will accept a worse deal than they turned down in February?

There's no way that will happen, which is why this will drag on and on.

Edited by Triumph

Why would the players ever accept less than 42.5 million?  Is their leadership that incompetent that they will accept a worse deal than they turned down in February?

There's no way that will happen, which is why this will drag on and on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because with no TV contracts revenues go down and linkage drags below 30 million. I think that is a decent offer to take. The longer this goes the worse the offers will get.