Devils Now Showing Their True Colors

Z-Man

The first 7 games:

6 wins, 1 loss

18 GF, 11 GA

The next 21:

10 wins, 10 losses (3 in OT), 1 tie

52 GF, 49 GA

Let's face it, this is a team that will probably play close to .500 hockey the rest of the year, clawing and scraping for every goal, while playing solid defense.

It seems to me that Lou has a pretty big decision to make in the next month or two. He cannot finish the season with the current team. They are not good enough to get deep into the playoffs. So Lou has a choice: Upgrade the team and hope that it's enough to start a serious playoff run, or start cutting salaries of unproductive players and save the team some money. We all know the players that can be targets (#25 for example). I wouldn't mind seeing Nieuwy and some others shipped out to get some younger players in that can help the club in the long term. When your team's average age is 30, and you've been getting progressively worse every year since the Cup win, it's time for a change.

Good points.

Although one could say Lou should wait until the March trade deadline before making any blockbuster deals to improve their playoff chances.

That is, assuming they're in playoff position at that time.

By that time, the Devils will be in a better trading position as non-playoff teams try to unload high-priced stars.

Trading away underperforming Devils in the next month or two probably will not yield quality players coming back the Devils' way.

I don't think it's the true colors at all, Z.

We have an ABOVE average team. We happen to have some guys who are struggling, as does happen over a season.

Everyone goes through this. Even the Bruins and Stars and Flyers, who all opened so great are going through it. The Avs are struggling even MORE than us.

We are a team that plays a lot of one-goal games. But that's our nature and not our problem.

The only thing frustrating me is the power play. But it looks like they're attacking it a bit more and hopefully some pucks will find their way to backs of nets real soon.

Good points.

Although one could say Lou should wait until the March trade deadline before making any blockbuster deals to improve their playoff chances.

I agree that if they pick up players for the stretch run, Lou will wait as long as he can. But I think a decision about moving players out might come sooner. With the Devs' "uneasy" cash situation, they might decide that it's financially necessary to move someone like Nieuwendyk and avoid paying over half of his $5 mil salary. If a team wants some depth at center and wants to give up a good young player, Lou would do it sooner than later.

The first 7 games:

6 wins, 1 loss

18 GF, 11 GA

The next 21:

10 wins, 10 losses (3 in OT), 1 tie

52 GF, 49 GA

We're actually 10-7-1-3 in our last 21 since going 6-1, and you posted this after we lost two games in reg. and one in overtime in the last 4 games. We also played the best team in the league last night and nearly beat them. I agree that this is not a playoff team yet but it is no .500 team either.

Good numbers Z-man BUT I can't get worked up over those numbers.

First of all the record might as well be 10-7-4 because of the "OT rule"...but anyway, the Devils are winning in spite of their two top scorers BOTH coming down with Pando-itis. I don't believe Niewy and Elias will be stuck at 8 goals combined the rest of the year, although it's hard to believe either will have the regular season projected of them at this point; I could still see one or both having big playoffs though.

Second of all I like the grit this team has shown in coming back from a deficit multiple times; plus there haven't been many disasterous efforts - the Calgary game the Columbus game for two periods come to mind and a couple of other games we actually managed to win in the end. This Devils team EASILY has more heart than any team since the 2000 team.

Third of all, where's the team in the East that we have to fear? We saw the best the East had to offer last night and played them pretty darn well without two key starters. Not to mention we already beat them in Ottawa earlier in the year. And if Ottawa (the team with the perennial playoff yips) is the best thing out there, you KNOW the conference is wide open. Heck, I'll go one step further, where's the team in the whole NHL we have to fear? The West "powers" (particularly Colorado and SJ) aren't exactly lighting the world on fire either.

Fourth of all the Devils are still in a killer stretch where they've played really well, a stretch where some thought we'd fall into the abyss but haven't. In fact the Devils STILL haven't gone more than one game without getting a point. :) I know a couple of times we were saved by the contreversial OT loss rule but everyone plays by the same rules; I don't know of another team in hockey that can say we haven't gone more than a game without earning a point this year. Even Boston after their great start now has three straight regulation losses.

Finally, what if the Devils "only" go say, six over the rest of the year after the 6-1 start? That'd be 11 games over. Not a terrible year, right? Especially with the OT losses, that'd be like around 97-98 points. You pretty much can't take out a team's best stretch and arbitrarily say this is how good the team is; you take the good with the bad.

I look at it this way: if the Devils continue to play .500 during our alloted slumps then we might be even better than any of us thought.

Good old "Devils fans."

that was kinda funny. I am not sure I totally understand though. Are you saying the other posters aren't real fans because they refuse to drink the red and black kool-aid and would rather post the cold hard facts?? The first post by Z-Man pretty much summed up the current situation if you ask me.

you post = :rolleyes:

black kool-aid

black kool-aid??? GROSS!!!

look, i cant really complain like you guys are because i have only got to see three games, but listening to the games gives u ur own opinion, by opinion is that we are doing good, yah, we've lost some but we've won some, our offense isnt that bad, we just dont really have a lot to work with with elias and niuewy in there slumps. but i CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT complain about any of our dman or brodeur, thye are all playing great hockey

but all the players are going out there PLAYING FOR A WIN AND PLAYING WITH THEIR HEARTS...for me, thats good enough, to know that they r trying. and im still gonna paint my face red and black

They need Arnott and Sykora back to get production from Elias. Or some players with chemistry to play with Elias. He will be traded by the Devils.

Nieurwy that's another story of a trade gone bad.

They finally tied the game when Ottawa broke down. so they each get a point. The Ot that's another issue, Steven was beat and they scored, it's as simple as that.

This club will be lucky to play .500 with the current players.

Does anyone get the feeling that the biggest underestimator of the Devils often is the Devils' own fans?

It's hard to believe considering how little the media, the league and the other fans care about the Devils.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion, obviously. But I'm amazed at how low the Devils' fans opinions can get (and here I'm not just talking about this thread or this forum -- this is an observation culled over much time and space. And doesn't really apply to the more rabid contingent -- which hangs around here.)

Mine is that they're showing a helluva lot more conviction then they were last year at this time. And yes, they have a couple holes that they didn't have this year at the time.

I only take issue with the power play. Other than that, I'd say I'm pretty happy with the guys.

The question is: what is Lou's realistic goal this season?

If it's to make the playoffs, then no moves have to be made. The Devils should make the playoffs with their excellent defense alone. Along with some goals from unexpected sources, which we've seen.

If it's to make a run for the Eastern championship, then the Devils probably need to add a solid POWER FORWARD because it will be the garbage goals that make the playoff difference. (It's hard to count on goals from unexpected sources in the playoffs.) But even if they don't, the East is so wide open that the Devils (as is) could make it to the Stanley Cup Finals.

If it's to WIN the Stanley Cup, well, let's just say that solid POWER FORWARD has to be someone like Todd Bertuzzi.

I def. am on board with what you're saying SBT.

I don't think we can score anyone as powerful as a Bertuzzi. But I do think if we can get ourselves as far as the Finals, that we have grit and determination that goes a long way. I would have a lot of confidence in this team if that were the case -- but then again, that's pretty much my stock and trade.

Good points.

By that time, the Devils will be in a better trading position as non-playoff teams try to unload high-priced stars.

Trading away underperforming Devils in the next month or two probably will not yield quality players coming back the Devils' way.

I dont understand why so many think that waiting til march to correct a shortcoming is right. It seems everyone wants to correct rosters & have to settle for whats left. Then, you have to hope this new player(s) can accrue some "chemistry". If you're going to make a move, do it now, so the regular season is the proving grounds, & not with the playoffs a month away.

Say hallelujah!

Ad deum qui le tificat_________________________

Good points.

I dont understand why so many think that waiting til march to correct a shortcoming is right. It seems everyone wants to correct rosters & have to settle for whats left. Then, you have to hope this new player(s) can accrue some "chemistry". If you're going to make a move, do it now, so the regular season is the proving grounds, & not with the playoffs a month away.

Say hallelujah!

Ad deum qui le tificat_________________________<your response

What people are saying is that later in the season you will have more choices. Right now teams don't feel they are out of it, or even if they do, they aren't about to make a trade that signals they feel their season is over. Most trades in the NHL do take place later in the season, if not right near the deadline. Lou may actually have more choices later on, although he may not want to wait for the deadline for some of the chemistry reasons you mentioned.

It's actually rare when you have a situation like the one in the 1999-2000 season when they re-acquired Claude in November. That happened because the Avs were honest with Claude and told him they would not re-sign him. They wanted to get something for him and asked him where he would like to go. He said New Jersey and a deal was born (after he and Lou made up).

As an outsider, I don't think there's any question that New Jersey will finish near the top of the East like they usually do. They have the best goalie in the league right now and he should be nominated for the Hart given their offensive difficulties.

Their D isn't as effective when you take away a Rafalski. As evidenced by their last two games, it's no different then when Niedermayer held out along with Arnott a couple of years ago.

I also think their D hasn't played as well recently. It can give up the big play and is prone to outside speed and skill as displayed last night against Ottawa.

The thing that makes them tough is your last line of defense, Brodeur. He stops a lot of quality chances lately. If you really think about it, the Devils could be in a big slump if not for their goalie.

I mentioned Brodeur twice. That should tell you something.

When you look at the New Jersey offense, there's no consistency with lines. This is mostly due to the slumps their two most established forwards are in (Elias and Nieuwendyk).

Eventually, Coach Burns is going to have to settle on some lines and give his personel more than a game or two to establish some chemistry.

Until this happens and your best players regain their confidence (Elias, Joe N and Gomez), your team will continue to be in dogfights every night.

I agree with a poster who said a lot of one goal contests can take something out of you. That kind of grinding can become tired. It can wear a team out in time for you guessed it, the postseason.

Good teams need that cushion at some point in a season.

This is just an outsider's take on Elias. He has all that speed and skill and they're not utilizing it right. They aren't getting the maximum out of their top gun. By playing musical lines, it gives him no consistent linemates to get acclimated with.

They should try two players with him who complement his game. One should be a playmaking center and the other should be a speedy wing who can shoot and pass. Elias is best when he plays LW. It puts him in a goalscoring mode first. That should always be the order with that type of player. For some reason, the Devils insist on playing him out of position some of the games. While he is a great passer, there aren't many finishers on the Devils for that to work.

If you had Kovalev, Hejduk and say Gaborik or Hossa, then I could see keeping Elias at center because he'd be surrounded by the kind of talent that finishes plays.

So, move him back to LW and try two players who can get him the puck. One should be a playmaking center with great speed that backs up opponents (Gomez). The other should be able to finish some plays but can also set up teammates (Friesen). At this point, Gomez should be the Devils' #1 pivot. He was leading them in points (18) last time I checked. The reason he has cooled off lately is because they moved him to Nieuwendyk's line. Newy isn't scoring. Why move your hottest player to a cold line?

Gomez was starting to get some chemistry with Elias and Friesen. Friesen can skate with anyone and has a dangerous shot when he actually shoots. Burns should make Friesen shoot the puck 500 times in practice every time he doesn't register 3-4 shots a game. This would challenge the enigmatic forward to regain the form he showed with San Jose. Not only does he possess a good shot but he also can pass. He plays big for his size and should fit well in this role.

This line would have the potential to be that 1st scoring line NJ has lacked this year. Once you establish that, then you need a couple of lines that can take some pressure off them. You already have good chemistry between Pandolfo-Madden-Langenbrunner. The only thing missing is chemistry for Nieuwendyk.

I liked someone's suggestion to reunite Langenbrunner with Nieuwendyk. This would give him a player he is familiar with and should have chemistry with.

Replace Langenbrunner with Brylin on the Madden line until Joe regains his confidence. Then redo the lines in this fashion:

Elias-Gomez-Friesen

Brylin-Nieuwendyk-Gionta

Pandolfo-Madden-Langenbrunner

Berglund-Bicek-Stevenson/McKenzie

Both Bicek and Berglund deserve shots to stay in the lineup. They have played well lately and Bicek and Berglund played together some at Albany. Since his recall, the 24-year-old Bicek has demonstrated a similar gritty game to that of a Brylin. Small, fast and aggressive, he seems to play with no fear. He also can pass well as evidenced last night that set up a nice Berglund breakaway goal. The Devils should give this kid his shot. If he proves he can stick, then they have another keeper in the Brylin-mold. It's better than having two big grinders on a 4th line that hardly score. If you have two kids who are fast, they can become a threat. You add size with a Stevenson or McKenzie and that creates an effective forecheck. The big player can go to the net creating traffic.

These lines would give the Devils their best chance with the current nucleus intact. If it is not tried and Elias continues to struggle, it's time for the Devils to consider admitting that he needs a big physical center to play with. That's your last resort to go out and make a trade. This doesn't have to happen if the key players mentioned above regain their form.

A few statements..

Why move a hot player to a cold line? Obviously, to get the hot player to make the cold line work.

Stevenson has been playing excellently. To put him on a 4th line is an insult. The Devils need players to work down low, and that's why Stevenson is on the 2nd line. He should stay there until the Devils find a suitable replacement. It's obvious that winning with speed only is NOT working or else the lines you've made would be tried by Burns.

Jim McKenzie brings size and the ability to enforce. The Devils have too many small players that can be physically intimidated/taken advantage of. McKenzie helps the Devils keep control of that.

Jiri Bicek and Christian Berglund on a 4th line together is a waste. I think Berglund should put on a scoring line and Gionta be left on the 4th line. Bicek should be a healthy scratch when Gionta comes back. Hopefully they can deal Bicek for a decent pick or a decent 4th line grinder type. Perhaps an enforcer to spell McKenzie when he leaves next year.

Of course, just put Little G on the 4th line and leave him in the dust......

Bicek and Berglund should be together. They obviously mesh together and have played together on Albany. Why break that up?

You know what's an insult Tri? Brylin on the 4th line. Stevenson should be on the 4th line over Brylin ANYDAY of the week. Stevenson will once again be worthless and should be left out to dry on the 4th line.

Love the Brylin-Neuwy-G line. That hasn't been tried before and is worth a shot. I never liked the breaking up of Elias-Gomez-Friesen line to begin with, they should remain together. Or put Brylin in ther instead of Freezer so then you would have Elias-Gomez-Brylin and Freezer-Neuwy-Little G, with the Maddenbrunner line, and then Bergy-Bicek-Stevenson/Jimbo.

That's balanced.

Leave him in the dust? No. I think Gionta should be on the PP and PK along with being on the 4th line.

Why break up Bicek and Berglund? A fourth line should, at best, score a goal once every 3 or 4 games. A fourth line should presumably spell the other three lines. They should not be expected to score. If Bicek and Berglund are such a good combination, they should get more time. If not, they should be broken up and their individual talents be taken advantage of.

Of course it's an insult to Brylin for him to be on the 4th line. Fact is, the Devils need size. It's a tough break for Brylin, and he'll play his way out of it. He's certainly good enough to play out of it. Stevenson is big and his size is needed. One of the small guys has to go eventually. Turner will make some awful plays but he will also grind the puck out of the corner and provide what the Devils need.