Flyers ship Roenick to Los Angeles

NJayDevil

Flyers ship Roenick to Los Angeles

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=132419&hubName=nhl

All-Star Roenick

TSN.ca Staff

8/4/2005 12:53:14 PM

One of the most colourful and outspoken players in the National Hockey League will get a chance to shine in Tinseltown, as the Philadelphia Flyers have traded veteran centre Jeremy Roenick and a third round pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft to the Los Angeles Kings on Thursday in exchange for future considerations.

The deal comes just a day after the Flyers signed free-agent forward Peter Forsberg to a two-year, $11.5 million US contract and the team was expected to trade Roenick and keep their payroll under the $39 million US salary cap.

Roenick will make $4.94 million US this season.

In 16 seasons with the Flyers, Phoenix Coyotes and Chicago Blackhawks, Roenick has scored 475 goals and 1120 points in 1124 regular season games.

Having to add a pick makes me smile a bit. In a time when some people are worried about losing players for nothing, Philly has to add a pick to dump JR.

The new rules really have created a new game within the game. I think someone already mentioned how JR is effectively a negative value because of his salary and Philly has to pay to get him out.

By the way, when teams speak of future considerations is it laid out in contract what form those future considerations might take? Or is it more or less a handshake agreement between clubs?

If future considerations never really amount to much, JR really could have been traded for the proverbial "bag of pucks."

I still don't understand why anyone would do Philly this favor, of taking a player who has had at least 8 concussions and is near the end off his hands, has a salary of $4.9M, when they KNOW he is over the salary cap and needs them more than they need him. In a salary capped NHL??? GMs are just STUPID. I'm convinced of it. They have hereditary stupidity or some such disease. Or Dave Taylor got hit over the head too many times as a player.

With the new CBA does the money that Social Security will pay towards the Flyers payroll also count against the cap? This line-up is the best they have had in years, but there is no way they will make it through a whole season.

half these guys are from out of the country so SS is a moot point...they dont work long enough to be forced into the system either.

so ha. :evil:

I figure the same thing -- they'll wipe out the Pens for us and then whoever isnt' suspended on the Flyers will be on the IR -- so really these two teams ought to cancel thmeselves out.

Edited by Darwindog

I think sometimes the offer is too much to refuse thats why. I bet you they're basically getting roenick for free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are saying Philly is paying his salary I believe that on a go-forward basis if you do that it counts against YOUR cap, unlike the Washington paying half of Jagr's salary situation, which was grandfathered in under different rules. Which wouldn't solve Philly's problem. It has to come OFF their cap. LA has to pick up the salary. That's the POINT. Has is right. Clarke has photos of Taylor, just like he has photos of Snider with farm animals.

I think sometimes the offer is too much to refuse thats why. I bet you they're basically getting roenick for free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are saying Philly is paying his salary I believe that on a go-forward basis if you do that it counts against YOUR cap, unlike the Washington paying half of Jagr's salary situation, which was grandfathered in under different rules. Which wouldn't solve Philly's problem. It has to come OFF their cap. LA has to pick up the salary. That's the POINT. Has is right. Clarke has photos of Taylor, just like he has photos of Snider with farm animals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no no no thats not what i ment. I meant, they traded roenick for basically nothing. LA got a third rounder and roenick, still a top 2 line guy with great leadership and basically lost nothing.

I don't think Roenick for a third rounder is bad. The Sens traded Todd White and Patrick Lalime for fourth rounders. I'm not making the comparison, of course, that either White or Lalime is as good at Roenick, but it's a fair example on what the market is nowadays.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its roenick AND a third rounder for future considerations

From a Flyers board:

Honestly, w/ the CBA in place now, the Kings did Clarke a favor by taking JR and his salary.. adding the 3rd rounder in there makes me believe we get a 7th back or something.. every GM knows Clarke was trying to dump salary - he's dealing from a position of weakness...

I could be wrong, but I don't know how many teams will want to add a 36 year old center w/ a history of concussions for around $5 million a year.

I agree completely.

What? Roenick and a 3rd for future considerations is a steal. If he gets a concussion, they don't have to pay him and he doesn't count against their cap. The league as a whole has no reason to hold Philadelphia ransom - I think teams would be willing to move other players to get Roenick for that much.

Edited by Triumph

What?  Roenick and a 3rd for future considerations is a steal.  If he gets a concussion, they don't have to pay him and he doesn't count against their cap.  The league as a whole has no reason to hold Philadelphia ransom - I think teams would be willing to move other players to get Roenick for that much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Weren't you advocating teams hold Clarke ransom yesterday?

Good point about the injury angle though - I forgot that if he is injured his number doesn't get charged. We are certain that is case right?

What?  Roenick and a 3rd for future considerations is a steal.  If he gets a concussion, they don't have to pay him and he doesn't count against their cap.  The league as a whole has no reason to hold Philadelphia ransom - I think teams would be willing to move other players to get Roenick for that much.

I understand the don't count against the cap... but they do have to pay him????

They did hold him ransom. The future considerations can't be that much - the fact that it's future considerations tells you something. This is Jeremy Roenick, a top 15 center in the league, and the Flyers got absolutely nothing back for him right now.

If he misses more than a certain number of games, insurance covers his contract.

They did hold him ransom.  The future considerations can't be that much - the fact that it's future considerations tells you something.  This is Jeremy Roenick, a top 15 center in the league, and the Flyers got absolutely nothing back for him right now.

If he misses more than a certain number of games, insurance covers his contract.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactamundo