Best and most disappointing player so far

DevsRule

Best: Besides Marty (because that's a given), I pick Gionta. His hustle has been amazing and he has good chemistry with Kozlov and Parise.

Worst: Tie between Gomez and Langenbrunner. I seriously felt like Gomez did not play vs the rangers because he did absolutely nothing. Langebrunner has been an automatic penalty and has missed some good scoring chances.

Edited by DevilMinder

Even though Gomez has two assists his line has been a non factor at even strength. Gomez hasn't been good defensively, he loses body postition and then fails to move his feet to regain. Atleast he isn't taking penalties in those situations, but I'd like to see him work a little more on the defensive end.

I'd say my biggest surprise would be Kozzy...he's been very very good offensively...strong and moving the puck around nicely and last night it showed with a great game winning assist...And second would be Paul Martin...He's been looking very good to me out there the three games we've played..and has contributed on a couple of big goals as well...the first game I would have said little G but actually he comes close to my biggest dissapointment...(I'm sure this will upset most but) with the exception of a great first game, little Gionta has been just as effective as Langs...sure he hasn't taken any penalties but at least last night I saw three or four times when I was thinking "wow, that guy is hustling tonight" only to see a big 15 on his back...Langs, despite lack of point production has been a grinder all the way and the only thing I'm dissapointed about him is how badly he's getting written off in here.

But don't get me wrong, Gionta is a great player and I'm definetely getting his Jersey next but he's just been a non factor the past two games to me...especially when we got dominated by a BIG Flyers team!

It's most disappointing that we feel like having a thread on worst three games into the season.

Try letting them get acclimated to rules different than what their bodies have been doing as reflexes for 20 years or so.

I'll offer as much that I think Rafalski has done the best adapting on D. And Martin's on the way there too. It's no surprise that the smartest players pick it up sooner. But I'm not ready to throw ANYONE out yet.

It's most disappointing that we feel like having a thread on worst three games into the season.

I agree 100%. This is to small of a sample size to judge players, especially that they are still adjusting to playing again and the new rules. We need to be patient. By the time Elias is ready to come back, we should have seen enough to know who is staying and who is leaving.

It's funny reading these threads. Some players I think are playing lousy others are thinking they are doing a great job, and vice-versa. 3 games is too short of time to pass judgements. 10 to 20 games is a better assessment. The Devils are 2-1-0 right now. Thankfully they won last night. The next 4 days on this board would have been aptly named. As always most of the stuff is coming from Devil fans and not other teams fans! :noclue:

EVEN KEEL PEOPLE! 3 games into a 82 game season!

Edited by Rock

To be honest, I don't see the big deal about posting evaluations after three games since people post evaluations after individual games :P Do I think it's too soon to jump to total conclusions on anyone, sure. Granted I've been dissapointed in Langs' start too (more on his whining about the calls on Opening Night than his actual play) but as was pointed out in another thread it has really been close to TWO years off for him cause of his injuries in '04.

I also think however that the importance of the first game, the first few games is keyed up this year due to the fact that there haven't been any games for a year and a half. Not that I think there wouldn't be a thread like this any other year though, but I just think the exaggerated importance a lot of people here give to games and small parts of the season is ratcheted up 'this' year.

Edited by Hasan4978

I'm more concerned about the fact that Langenbrunner is saying he doesn't understand what is allowed and not allowed than anything else. It's one thing to take several penalties and say you are having trouble adjusting. But you should UNDERSTAND what is allowed and not allowed, even if you can't adjust to it yet. Unless that is his way of simply slamming the refs - which may not be the best thing to do.

Because otherwise, he's not taking responsibility. And NJ is generally about taking responsibility.

His hooking penalty against the Rangers had me concerned - I'm with Sue. Not to say this isn't rocket science -- but Jamie just has to buckle down and focus otherwise it's all just wheel spinning at the end fo the day.

I like a lot of what's going on a lot of places and I have concerns here and there too I have concerns about Langs... I have concerns about Marty. No one out there is perfectly terrible nor is anyone perfectly perfect. Which means there's room for everyone to improve which to me is great a great way to start the season. Not one person is turning in a stale performance and that is all I ask at this stage of the game.

Marty and Martin have been incredible. We'll soon forget nied's if Martin keeps playing this way.

Langs had better adjust quick, and keep his attitude witht the ref's under wraps.

Everyone is beating up gomez - geez, give it a break, he's still the best playmaker on the team - he and almo are moving the puck and lacing tape to tape passes through 3 and 4 defenders at a time - problem is McGillis can't take a pass or keep a puck in the offensive zone to save his life, and they keep putting Marshal out on the PP with these two. In all honesty, I think Marshal is the worst of the forward group right now (although oliwa and langdon have yet to play, so i'll reserve that judgement for a couple games)

Kozlov needs to shoot - stop f-ng around with the puck, you just don't have that kind of time down low - shoot it or pass it, don't keep trying to skate around and around and around the net.

McGillis should never see a second of power play time.

Ralfi looking much better now than in the opener - sweet pass for that deflection goal the other night, that's the Rafalski I've been waiting to see back out there.

Biggest problem this team has right now - skating the puck into the zone and setting up even stregnth. It was almost painful to watch them against the Rags, all this open ice and ability to skate and they just could not skate it in and set up even stregnth.

Kudos has to go out to the rangers too (as much as I hate to give them any credit) They're playing good - showing some heart, hell, they put people out there who want to play, not just collect their phat paychecks. It's good to see them competitive at least, they were becoming such a joke last we saw of them.

I've been impressed with White.  IMHO he's been doing some good things on and off the ice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with you on that. I don't remember White stepping up and making noise *and* hits like he's done so far this season. I really like what i'm seeing from him.

McGillis has to pick it up- so far i'm not a fan

It *is* early so i'm not going to make snap judgements about anyone yet, good or bad but some players are winning points while others are earning demerits real quick.