Interested In Kapanen Or Battaglia??

NJayDevil

HURRICANES TO DEAL OFF KAPANEN AND BATTAGLIA?

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: Luke Decock reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford continues to talk to other teams about a possible trade involving his club, which is presently mired in a four-game losing streak. Decock cites forwards Sami Kapanen and Bates Battaglia, who've combined for only 10 goals this season, as most likely to be dealt. An Edmonton Oilers scout was observed at a recent Hurricanes-Buffalo Sabres game, which Decock claims "lends credence" to speculation regarding Oilers leading scorer Anson Carter, whom the Hurricanes tried to obtain from the Boston Bruins in October 2000.

Spector's Note: I can't see the Oilers dealing Carter for either Kapanen or Battaglia. In fact, I still don't believe the Oilers are shopping Carter. Indeed, at $2.4 million and presently with 37 points , he's a better value than Kapanen at $3 million and 14 points. Kapanen's struggles this season are puzzling, as he's averaged over 20 goals and 45 points per season. Either he or Battaglia might benefit from a change of scenery and could fetch a decent return.

Wouldn't mind getting Kapanen. He could probably do damage with Elias. Not too sure if I would want Battaglia tho. And who would be give the flukes in return tho?? Kapanen would be a nice fit on this team IMO. What's his attitude and self endurance like??

Kapanen would be IMO a great addition, maybe he could get some offense going here. But then again would the devils want to trade for another guy that is not scoring any more than any of the other guys on this team?

Well, I'm quite fond of Kapanen and want him to STAY a 'Cane (most of you know I do like the 'Canes too), BUT I'm not sure he solves the problem this team has. We need a power forward type like Erik Cole, and I'm pretty sure the Canes will NOT trade Cole at all..... Kap is more like a Brylin type to me with a bit better offense and I could have sworn that most NJ fans are complaining our forwards aren't big enough. Plus alot of Carolina fans have been griping about Kapanen not getting the job done in the power play and we all KNOW how PUTRID the Dev pp is.

Just say no to Battaglia, he has suspect hands for a dude that is on one of the better lines there (better than Pando but still irritating) AND he has a penchant for slacking off at times.

Kapanen could be our next Almo tho. Almo wasn't too hot in Vancouver and he changed scenery to the Devs and was on fire for a whole season. Kapanen could turn out to be that type of player, esp with Elias on his side. A great advantage is that Kapanen can play ANY position. I even recall he could even play D, like Federov.

The more and more I think about it, the more and more I want that to happen. But would Lou trade within the conference?

Neither thank you. Battaglia is a lil better than Turner, & Sami is talented but gets thrown around as much as G-man. Especially sami makes 3 mil??

Nah, unless we get both for niewy.

Vince

NJay:

Kapanen could be our next Almo tho. Almo wasn't too hot in Vancouver and he changed scenery to the Devs and was on fire for a whole season.

Big difference. Mogilny had 30-40 goal scoring talent to begin with and several years where he scored 30-40. He even had 76 one year early in his career. Suffice it to say, Kapanen is NO AlMo. I doubt he's even had 30 in a year. He's just another of what we already have too many of; hard working forwards with 25-goal capabilities who aren't scoring.

You don't know what you've got untiil you get them and see what they could do.

OK, did anyone think Arnott was capable of doing what he did in 2000 before he came here? No.

We thought he was capable of what he did in 2002, though.

It has SO much to do with chemistry. If you're not Gretzky or someone just over the moon, then who you play with AND THEIR MENTAL STATE has a lot to do with the results.

Kapanen does possess what very few Devils do: a decent shot. His slap shot is excellent, as posts in Toronto and Detroit learned very well during the playoffs.

Kapanen is kind of talented but he showed he may be more towards Mariusz Czerkawski than AlMo. He didn't come through in the playoffs at all. He might be suited best for a 1st line role on a poor team.. which Carolina was at the beginning of 01-02. Lou, just say no.

Battaglia I might want, he's a good cleanup around the net guy, if he came cheap, I'd hope Lou would be interested in Jon..

ESB, everyone knew Arnott was incredibly talented but his head wasn't in the game. With Kapanen and Battaglia, it's also physical limitations that limit them..

Battaglia I might want, he's a good cleanup around the net guy, if he came cheap, I'd hope Lou would be interested in Jon..

Im not sure why you'd want Battaglia, because he is rather lazy at times and doesn't always do what you suggest (go to net). I'm not impressed with his (lack of) hands too. Personally, I'd take Kapanen over Bates, but then Sami is smaller which our team doesn't need another of :P soooo....

Read the post again, Has.

Kapanen got several excellent chances.. most of them found iron. (the as posts in Detroit and Toronto can attest to his shot speaks to that)

Kapanen is a very good point man for a power play in need of another great shot. Other than that he's useless for a Devils team that's already too small.