Calm down

Steadevils

I am dissapointed as every Devils fan should be in the season so far. However I am not with the people who want to trade everyone on the team. They have shown flashes of being a true team. That being said they do need to learn to play all 3 periods instead of either coming back to force it to OT or to lose the lead and then lose in OT. All i want to say is that there have been so many seasons where halfway through the year the Devils have been dissapointments (maybe never with losing streaks like this but there have been slumps). It seems to me that every year, come the second half, the Devils come together and fulfill lou's vision of the team he assembled. It is too early to start pulling trades. We all know that all this team has to do is make the playoffs and then they are a threat to make a run at the cup. The last thing the Senators want to see is the Devils becoming the 8th seed. So yes there are plenty of questions, but Lou has made enough of the right decisions that we should not start questioning him yet.

a few things:

-i can't remember a time that these devils (which means the last 6 years) had this much wrong with them. to say that they've started slow at times is fair, but they haven't been this out of it with as many decent teams as there are this year. i don't think it's accurate to call this a slump. their record is indicative of how they've played (maybe even better than how they've played).

-other than the loudmouth next to me last night, i don't think anyone is saying to trade the whole team, or even most of it. in fact, i've only seen the following players even discussed: gomez, kozlov, langenbrunner, mcgillis, malakhov, brodeur. the brodeur thoughts, at most, were only if we ROBBED the other team so they weren't realistic. the M + M "trades" were more like dumps. and moving an offensive player would be moving just one (max two) players. people were looking for more of a shakeup than a complete overhaul.

-the flashes that you talk about aren't them looking like a real team. the flashes are when they play above themselves. the majority of the time, they're playing like what they are (a team of 2nd and 3rd liners).

My thoughts:

Imaging back when Stevens was young if leadership was thrust upon him. Granted, he may have done better than Madden, White Rafalski and Gomez but there would still be a learning curve there. If you think about the recent loss of leadership, both in the room and on the ice, there going to some time before someone steps up and makes it their team. The core went from being 3 guys who had almost 20 years experience each to a bunch of 5 year guys. Lack of leadership is expected but I feel that a few guys will step up and give this team an identity.

You can't expect too much just yet. I'd wait until Patty's back until wholesale changes are made. Who knows how the team will react when his experience and scoring come back (IF they do). Split Gomez and Elias up and viola, there's a double scoring threat. Throw in Kozlov, Gionta and Mogilny and you have two very talented lines that would free up one of them from the opponents top defenders.

Give it time...

My .02

-Dan

It also helped having Slava Fetisov, me thinks. The day he was fired our PP suddenly went to crap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, for one thing the lame powerplay. Earlier in the season the puck was finding the back of the net, now they can't do anything right. It's no coincidence this streak of overtime games is happening at the same time the powerplay has gone South. (Maybe when they go South to Carolina, they will find it again.) B )

You got to have hope. Things can't get much worse can they? :unsure::ph34r::huh::blink::pray:

I agree. Heavy Kool Aid drinking. This team needs to change to match the new NHL. I am all up for waiting for the team to change - even if it takes a couple of seasons - but please do not tell me this team can win right now with minor changes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem is that this team doesn't have the personnel to win in the new NHL. We have one line that can score consistantly, and a terrible defense. This team wouldn't even win in the old NHL.

Why should Lou wait for a couple of seasons when he can be pro-active and try to make afew trades to acquire the right kind of players now?

Reasons that I think this team MAY be able to turn things around are as followed: 1.Langenbruner has been a streaky player throughout his career, hes been cold all season so I expect him to heat up.

2.Can't downplay the elias return. I do not claim to have any idea how he'll be able to play, but he can be a leader on this hockey team and he has been a huge part of our offense for so many years. If he can still play like he has in the past his presence will lift this team, i could see him playing very well with parise which could be what he needs to become the play maker we expected.

I just think Lou is waiting to see what Elias will bring to this team, and I think he has good reason to do so

My thoughts:

Imaging back when Stevens was young if leadership was thrust upon him.  Granted, he may have done better than Madden, White Rafalski and Gomez but there would still be a learning curve there. 

-Dan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, no, there wasn't -- Stevens took the Blues from the bottom to near top in one season and the Blues sank right back down when the Devils got him

Edited by Darwindog