Carolina Curse

MantaRay

Although the recent play of the team has me very upbeat, I see we have the dreaded Canes in a home & home this weekend.

I hate playing the Canes because they have our number in the past year.

We outshoot them and out play them but can't win.

How will we fare this weekend,

Predictions???

hehe, this is like a rebirth of the thread I started last night. :D

I'll leave my prediction to the following comments: if we play at even 75% of the level we've played at the past two games we're in great shape; any less than that and it will be a hard fought game -- and one team will emerge victorious.

I've learned by now that whenever I make predictions, bad things happen to the Devils!

Would be very nice to see a sweep of these two games, though....

The back to back weekend Carolina games are the confidence builders that the Devils need badly. They need to blow Carolina away in both games, to eliminate any thoughts or ideas about Florida having been a cake walk they are such a weak team and the Isles did have a real bad game. blowing away back to back Carolina games removes the thing that Carolina has with the Devils.

Every player should know the importance of these two games they will be the stepping stones to the next level.

Real question is: Does Marty play both games?

Ablelin should play wing giving them at times 3 defensemen on the ice a same time.

The Canes have 1 win in their last 10, 7 regulation losses and a tie and an OT loss. They're spiraling down sh!t's creek.

The Devils need to come out to play like they did the last two games (well, the Panthers and the last 45:00 of the Isles ;) ), Marty should start the game at home and then get the rest on Saturday and let Schwab and/or Ahonen pick up the pieces of the broken Carolina psyche on Saturday night.

Given that, we take all four points out to the West coast trip next week.

Excellant chance for the Devils to really build their recent momentum. I disagree with GR that they have to blow away the Canes to gain from this series. Two wins will do the trick regardless of the score.

What I like about this series is that it has become a bit of a rivalry. I don't see the Devils losing any focus or emotion here. They know the Canes have had their number since the playoffs and they want to put an end to it.

I see a hard fought series with the Devils coming out on top in both games. I can only hope that Neiwy puts in #500 on friday. I truely believe that once he gets this out of the way he will start to light it up. And with Elias, Gomer and Freisen starting to play their best this team will become very tough to beat.

Keep it Going Boys!!

Triumph, with the Canes doing so poorly lately a split won't speak well of the Devils offensive improvement. Against the Canes I say a 2 goal edge in both games for the Devils is blowing them away, ie; 3-1; 4-2; 2-0, anything less while a win will not support that the improved offense is for real. A loss of both games would be a negative. If a split, then the one the Canes win must be close by a goal and the one the Devils win must be won by 3 goal margin on a split to support offensive improvement for the Devils.

Just my opinion.

Ablelin should play wing giving them at times 3 defensemen on the ice a same time.

it's a good idea if albelin a. had experience at wing and b. wasn't so slow.

positioning for dmen and forwards is extremely different

Hmmm....the goalie is playing a D position Sheeps, so 3 forwards, 3 d-men and albelin playing both sides of the fence...that is what you meant by 'extremely different positioning' correct...how's that for a mental picture? ;)

The SBT likes the Devils' chances against every team in the NHL.

(Though Northwest Division teams have given them trouble this year.)

Every team except those friggin' Canes.

The curse has gotten to the Devils' heads.

Canes sweep the Devils.

2-1 and 3-2

GR, the Devils are on a hot streak, Carolina on a cold streak. Probability and the teams' history says that both will 'end' during this home and home. One of my biggest pet peeves with sports statistics is that they're always used to support trends.. trends usually come to an end. So if the Canes hadn't won a playoff series since 1986 before 2002.. that doesn't mean anything. What it means is that without taking the team into account, the odds are that eventually they have to win one.

I don't want the Devils to get on a long winning streak, and I don't want them to keep blowing teams out either. This club isn't *that* good, and with a long winning streak would come the opposite, probably.

Triumph, a 7 game winning streak is that long, they are at 5 now. A 2 goal different isn't the same as a 5 goal or 4 goal difference. But considering it's the Canes I buy into a 2 goal difference as being blown away. As for Offensive Hot Streak it's only 2 games Fla and Isles, big hot streak.

If your right, the club isn't that good, then how do you account for the record and I assume you support 1st round and they are out?

The Devils need to show some consistent hot streak and why not now against a team that has had their number but is having problems right now.

Devils need to win both against the Canes, it would be a big uplift.

By the way everyone, Albelin and Nieder have played forwards before for the Devils more than once, they can do both jobs. Against Carolina I'll take Albelin as a wing.

well, what happens when albelin instinctively goes to the blue line while the devils are on defense and it's pretty outweighed down below? or when the defenseman go back and albelin joins, even if he doesn't need to? etc.

Isn't that the kind of stuff he does now??? ;)

btw...read in the paper today that Albelin was used as a winger because a number of injuries in Albany prevented the Devs from calling up a forward :o We need a Rat update....RowdyFan where are you :huh:

I say the Devils need to win the 1st game - otherwise the jinx continues. If they win Friday, then chances are good they will win Saturday. If not, it could get ugly.

Here's the thing -- For game one do we put Schwab (or Ari) in net to change the karma -- I mean they did the whole Weekes switcharoo on us and that sort of did us in...so would this cross polarities and get things going our way again?

What if we put Marty in first and lose? Do we then go with Schwabbie for game two or do we try to let Marty work his way out of it? If they sweep us using both goalies then that karmic fix is wasted. We'll have ruined it's mojo. If we lose putting in Schwab first -- I think then we just keep everything status quo and they may lose game two with Marty in net but they still have our karmic number. If we put Ari in and they lose game one and then we put Marty in and they lose game two then we're golden and the curse is lifted! It's all pretty risky...I really wish I had my juju stick...why can't Marty be a Cajun...Quebecuans have no voodoo in the neighborhood AT ALL dammitall!

I'm not pleased that I can't forsee the future on this series :angry:

I say the Devils need to win the 1st game - otherwise the jinx continues.  If they win Friday, then chances are good they will win Saturday.  If not, it could get ugly.

Here's the thing -- For game one do we put Schwab (or Ari) in net to change the karma -- I mean they did the whole Weekes switcharoo on us and that sort of did us in...so would this cross polarities and get things going our way again?

What if we put Marty in first and lose? Do we then go with Schwabbie for game two or do we try to let Marty work his way out of it? If they sweep us using both goalies then that karmic fix is wasted. We'll have ruined it's mojo. If we lose putting in Schwab first -- I think then we just keep everything status quo and they may lose game two with Marty in net but they still have our karmic number. If we put Ari in and they lose game one and then we put Marty in and they lose game two then we're golden and the curse is lifted! It's all pretty risky...I really wish I had my juju stick...why can't Marty be a Cajun...Quebecuans have no voodoo in the neighborhood AT ALL dammitall!

I'm not pleased that I can't forsee the future on this series :angry:

:lol:

If the players only knew the agonizing analysis we go through for the team!

Well -- how could I have been so obtuse? Goalies schmoalies - Of COURSE it was all about Nieuwy and the poison hush puppies from the playoffs! THEY were the curse! He's now successfully purged them (or you know, whatever food they slipped the poison into!) and their evil effects from his and the Devils system!

Now if the Devils lose tomorrow or in the future it's just because they suck! :evil:

well, what happens when albelin instinctively goes to the blue line while the devils are on defense and it's pretty outweighed down below?  or when the defenseman go back and albelin joins, even if he doesn't need to?  etc.

Isn't that the kind of stuff he does now??? ;)

btw...read in the paper today that Albelin was used as a winger because a number of injuries in Albany prevented the Devs from calling up a forward :o We need a Rat update....RowdyFan where are you :huh:

can i blame being in dc for the lack of an update? i know everything about the caps but nothing about the devils... what a hell i live in!!!!!!!!!!

even today i found out about nieuwy's 500th on comcast, which didn't even note it was his 500th. at home we would be breaking out champagne...