Norris Trophey candidate Ozolinch

dmitri

I am watching game 5 of 1998 Detroit-Colorado series on OLN. You know what commentators said? They said, and I quote:

"Great young defensman, Norris Trophey candidate, Sandis Ozolinch."

HAHAHAHAHA

He was quite good then. Colorado traded Owen Nolan for him, straight up, early on during the '95-'96 season. He was a big reason they won the Cup that year: 5 goals, 14 assists in 22 playoff games.

I can't believe how far he's fallen. It's actually quite sad.

nice to see that the rangers are still, sometimes, the place where good players go to suck,

course, bozolinsh is my new favorite rag!

Don, I may just cheer him tomorrow at the game even though i'll be at msg. from what i've seen, the rangers fans are dumping tickets left and right. I got a pair for under face from craiglist today. I'm hoping to paint the rink red tomorrow ;D

He's been sucking for some time now. Since leaving Colorado he's been a disappointment in Carolina, Florida, Anaheim and now, New York. He's been living off his Colorado success for a while now...every team that acquires him does so with the hope that he might actually regain his All-Star form...it's like a lefty pitcher who has a couple of big seasons and winds up getting 5 or 6 more chances with various teams.

Don, I may just cheer him tomorrow at the game even though i'll be at msg. from what i've seen, the rangers fans are dumping tickets left and right. I got a pair for under face from craiglist today. I'm hoping to paint the rink red tomorrow ;D

What are you going to do when he's announced as a scratch?

you think they'll do it?

No chance Ozolinsh is scratched unless Kasparaitis is healthy. They're not throwing Thomas Pock into the fire.

Ozolinsh was a disaster for Carolina and worse for Florida, but he was pretty solid for Anaheim in their run to the Cup in 2003. It's interesting to remember that the goal that deflected in off Brodeur from the Anaheim zone was scored by Sandis Ozolinsh - seems like karma to see him deflect one in. It is possible that Ozolinsh's substance abuse contributed to the downturn in his play.

i rember the one super moron on OLN talking about how ozonlish was such a great pickup. engbloom or something. he had point per game or something and rejuvanted their offense and some sort. and to be fair ozonlish had 14 points in 19 games with the rags....lost in that stat is him committing 3 or 4 mistakes for every point.

i rember the one super moron on OLN talking about how ozonlish was such a great pickup. engbloom or something. he had point per game or something and rejuvanted their offense and some sort. and to be fair ozonlish had 14 points in 19 games with the rags....lost in that stat is him committing 3 or 4 mistakes for every point.

Getting Ozolinsh was a gamble, no doubt about it. The real problem with acquiring Ozolinsh is that the Rangers are on the hook for his contract next season which is at least $2.75M. Ozo at his best now is barely worth 1.8M. He will almost certainly be waived - why get this guy when you have Thomas Pock in the system?

The Rangers needed a PP QB type. Ozolinsh has just not fit in well at all, but he was really the best option on the market. Still, it has to be a red flag when a playoff team is willing to deal an ostensibly valuable piece.

No chance Ozolinsh is scratched unless Kasparaitis is healthy. They're not throwing Thomas Pock into the fire.

Ozolinsh was a disaster for Carolina and worse for Florida, but he was pretty solid for Anaheim in their run to the Cup in 2003. It's interesting to remember that the goal that deflected in off Brodeur from the Anaheim zone was scored by Sandis Ozolinsh - seems like karma to see him deflect one in. It is possible that Ozolinsh's substance abuse contributed to the downturn in his play.

Oh. He'll be scratched one way or another. He took them right out of Game 2 and killed any momentum in Game 3. Expect Kasparaitis to play. You know Jagr will.

If Renney dresses him, he shouldn't be allowed to coach them next fall.

wow, I didnt know he was so expensive. I alway get pissed when I think about how much yashin is paid to do nothing for the isles, but then I think it's the isles and I dont care.

The Isles can buy Yashin out this summer. I think it costs $2.5 million. At least that's what our Isles cohost said last week. Not sure of the validity.

The Islanders can buy out Yashin, but it's for 2/3rds of the remaining price of the contract spread out over twice the years, I believe. So Yashin's got 4 years left on a 7.6 million dollar deal. In total, that's 30.4 million. 2/3rds of that is 20.2 million. The Islanders will take a cap hit of approximately 2.5 million (so your Islanders co-host has that number right), but that will be for each of the next eight seasons. And also, they'll have to pay him 20 million dollars not to play for them.

Yashin picked up his play at the end of the season. I'd take one more year of Alexei then buy him out. He'd have 3 years left, buying him out would cost 14 million spread out over 6 years, which is 2.3 million per season - less money for less seasons seems better.

I wonder who would sign him and for how much.

As for Ozolinsh, the Rangers need offense too. If I were Renney I'd consider dressing him as a 7th defenseman and skating him on the PP only.