Gomez Seeking Long-term Deal

msweet

LINK

Tuesday, July 4, 2006

By TOM GULITTI

STAFF WRITER

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello has already performed some free agent magic in re-signing Patrik Elias, Jamie Langenbrunner and Colin White, but he'll need to pull off a few more tricks to keep the remaining core of his team intact past 2006-07.

With Wednesday's 5 p.m. deadline looming for restricted free agents to file for arbitration, Lamoriello began negotiating Monday with center Scott Gomez's father/agent Carlos on a possible long-term deal.

"Patrik is done and now Scott is on the bubble," Carlos Gomez said. "It's his turn."

Lamoriello is also trying to find cap room to re-sign restricted free agent right wing Brian Gionta, who, like Gomez, can be unrestricted next year. The problem is the Devils already have more than $41 million committed toward the $44 million salary cap for next season.

Teams can go as much as 10 percent over the cap until the first day of the regular season, but even that doesn't leave Lamoriello much wiggle room with restricted free agents David Hale and Paul Martin also to be re-signed (and also arbitration eligible) and the backup goalie spot still vacant.

"I don't envy Lou," Carlos Gomez said. "He's tight up against it. But Lou's pulled a rabbit out of the hat before. He did it already with Patrik."

Carlos Gomez said his son would definitely file for arbitration. Gionta also is likely to do so.

Gomez, 26, set career bests with 33 goals and 84 points last season and likely would win a significant raise from his $2.204 million salary in arbitration. Gionta, 27, would no doubt win a huge boost from his $627,000 salary after scoring 48 goals last season.

Carlos Gomez understands the Devils' cap trouble, but also believes Scott has been "underpaid" for years. He's willing to negotiate with Lamoriello up until the arbitration hearing in August

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I see why Don said Scott was never a Devil.

Don't believe the underpaid comments. Scott was happy with what he got in arbitration last year. The biggest thing like I said earlier was he wants a long term contract. If he doesn't get it he will more than likely go somewhere else.

Gomez is the key to our offense and the best passer in the league. Hopefully, Lou will do the right thing and sign him to a long term deal.

Gomez is great. My favorite moment was him carrying the puck through 5 Rangers and roofing the puck in one of the regular season games (or was it playoffs?).

I have to think the only solution with him is to get him to sign a one year contract with the understanding that he gets rewarded next year when we have the $ under the cap. Problem with that is Gomer can walk away like (I think it was) Carlos Boozer did with the Cavs a couple of years ago, going back on his word. Still, if he wants to stay then there will be a way for him to do it.

He has NOT been underpaid -- thing of it is... I really like his dad in a way too (he's so happy and stuff at games and all, I mean you all know how it is - I'm sure we've all seen him :evil:)... I mean you can't blame guys for feeling liek they should get a big pay day and all...See - his dad (I just can't call him "Carlos".. how disrespectful :giggle: ) anyhow, his Dad is too comfortable... saying too close to the right things so the stretches just seem so wrong and really a little antagonizing. Luckily Lou knows Gomez's value and understands it's his DAD he's dealing with... **sigh** such a trauma. This is one dicey situation :saddevil:

Why can't Gomez sign a nice one year deal, knowing that $7,000,000 is going to clear next year, and sign long term then?

This is going to be a rocky year with the contracts, but Lou should obviously be in a better spot next season.

Can't Carlos see that? And Gionta?

Now I see why Don said Scott was never a Devil.

Well, I wasn't referring to contractually, but I guess there too. I was more saying that in terms of "defense first", "110% every night", etc....

I don't see what's so wrong with what Gomer or his dad said here. The underpaid comment, eh factually it's true but realistically while players are in their first few years those that excel right off the bat as Gomer did are going to be underpaid because they cannot be unrestricted free agents.

I agree with some of the criticism of Gomer but felt he did grow up last year on and off the ice IMO, at least with Lou behind the bench. If he regresses this year then screw him but the image of Gomer from last year I choose to remember was him scoring a goal forty seconds into the game on Dano night after taking a scary eye injury the night before.

Well, I wasn't referring to contractually, but I guess there too. I was more saying that in terms of "defense first", "110% every night", etc....

He always seems like he lacks motivation.

Burnsy had him workin hard and so Did Lou.

He's just one of those players that seems like he needs someone up his ars.

I agree with NJdevs that it seems like gomer made strides last season away from the way he used to play. It's only made him better. I also think that if he goes to another team, we will not have the pressure to play a two-way game and it will hurt his overall ability. He's only going to get better overall if he stays with the devs.

I also think it's more important to sign gomer than it is to sign gio. I know some people might disagree, but if I was building a team, a first class center who make goals and score them would take priority over a pure scoring winger. We need gomer.

Why can't Gomez sign a nice one year deal, knowing that $7,000,000 is going to clear next year, and sign long term then?

This is going to be a rocky year with the contracts, but Lou should obviously be in a better spot next season.

Can't Carlos see that? And Gionta?

Why should Gomez and Gionta have to take paycuts because of that?

Pittsburgh has $14 million in salary committed to next year - they need to add $14 million more and they only have 4 RFAs left to sign whose salaries will total at best $6 million. They should definitely be interested in adding dead money to their salary cap - I see either Malakhov or Mogilny headed their way.

Why should Gomez and Gionta have to take paycuts because of that?

Pittsburgh has $14 million in salary committed to next year - they need to add $14 million more and they only have 4 RFAs left to sign whose salaries will total at best $6 million. They should definitely be interested in adding dead money to their salary cap - I see either Malakhov or Mogilny headed their way.

Yes, but how many players do they actually have under contract? Do they have enough players to ice a team? Or will they need to sign a few more players, beyond the RFAs? Plus, don't forget the 850K Malkin has coming to him, plus the money owed to the two guys they bought out, etc. Didn't the goalie the goalie make a lot more than his base salary last year once you add in the bonus payments (1st year in the NHL), so I would expect that $6 million estimate for the RFAs to be low. I would guess the salary for the goalie will be calculated off what he made salary + bonus, not just salary last year. Otherwise, he's going to be taking a pretty big paycut. That doesn't mean they won't need to take on some sort of "salary" to get to the floor. Just don't count on it being a slam dunk.

But they may be a better bet than the Caps, since they took on the fiasco that was Friesen last year. Then again, Washington might not mind this time as long as actual money is not involved only a Cap charge. If they don't have to pay out actual $$$, they could be fine with it.

Guest troycrowder25

In my opinion Gomez is just as important as Elias. This team has a lot of "dump and chase" guys on it and the 3 guys who could carry the puck in the zone and create offense is Nieds, Gomez, and Elias. Nieds is gone so that leaves 2, so there is no way in hell I would trade Gomez. If it came down to trading away Gionta or Gomez to get under the cap I would trade Gionta. I personally don't care if Gomez doesn't have the love for the organzation like Stevens, Brodeur, or Elias does because Gomez is a skilled playmaking center on a team that has no centers. I hope Gomez signs a 15 year 83 million dollar deal.

He has NOT been underpaid -- thing of it is... I really like his dad in a way too (he's so happy and stuff at games and all, I mean you all know how it is - I'm sure we've all seen him :evil:)... I mean you can't blame guys for feeling liek they should get a big pay day and all...See - his dad (I just can't call him "Carlos".. how disrespectful :giggle: ) anyhow, his Dad is too comfortable... saying too close to the right things so the stretches just seem so wrong and really a little antagonizing. Luckily Lou knows Gomez's value and understands it's his DAD he's dealing with... **sigh** such a trauma. This is one dicey situation :saddevil:

His dad is always like that.

I have to think the only solution with him is to get him to sign a one year contract with the understanding that he gets rewarded next year when we have the $ under the cap. Problem with that is Gomer can walk away like (I think it was) Carlos Boozer did with the Cavs a couple of years ago, going back on his word. Still, if he wants to stay then there will be a way for him to do it.

He wouldn't go back on his word.

He always seems like he lacks motivation.

Burnsy had him workin hard and so Did Lou.

He's just one of those players that seems like he needs someone up his ars.

Now I so disagree with this. He's always working. He's always seeking to improve himself thus the team, and it seems that's what he's thinkign not "me me me" but "if I'm better we win" He had some maturity issues - may still have but from what i see he's good natured, honest and hardworking. He's no Roenick self indulgent schlub.

Now I so disagree with this. He's always working. He's always seeking to improve himself thus the team, and it seems that's what he's thinkign not "me me me" but "if I'm better we win" He had some maturity issues - may still have but from what i see he's good natured, honest and hardworking. He's no Roenick self indulgent schlub.

Thats what I meant even though it's not how it came out .

He always seems to lack maturity. He always needed someone to stay on him.

And what not one smiley :D inyou post.

Are you feeling ill??