Gomez Seeking Long-term Deal

msweet

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hearing speculation that the NJ Devils are in a salary cap situation and could dump Scott Gomez and trade him to the Leafs for tucker, stagan, harrison, and coli.

Stay tuned...

I'm hearing speculation that the NJ Devils are in a salary cap situation and could dump Scott Gomez and trade him to the Leafs for tucker, stagan, harrison, and coli.

Stay tuned...

Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate), is that you?

Edited by Undersold

Stay tuned...

Normally i am kind to other posters, but I suggest you leave duck fan,

Stay tuned...

If this is a joke, this is some of the funniest stuff anyone's posted on here. Leaf fans have been dealing Darcy Tucker to every team in the league ever since he got to Toronto, and they love trading Stajan and Jay Harrison as well. Ha ha - good one. This is way below Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) - this is TSN Your Call or SLAM! Message Board speculation.

The problem isnt Scott, the problem is his father Carlos.

No matter where Scott goes, he will always have this Lindros family problem as long as his father is his agent.

What makes things worse is Carlos thinks he's alot smarter than Lou is and they really dont see eye to eye.

You can have negotiation issues even without your father as your agent. I mean, is Gilles Lupien related to Roberto Luongo in any way? And, as I remember, the contracts weren't the problem between Carl Lindros and Bobby Clarke. I'm not even sure it was Carl Linros Bobby really hated, it might have been Bonnie. He just might have had mild contempt for Carl.

However, the contract negotiation between the Rangers and the Messier 'clan' (and it was the 'clan') were kind of strained. Both Messier's father and brother took it personally when the Rangers didn't ante up suffiently, early on in negotiations, and made that plain to Rangers' management and to Mark Messier. I think Mark, at least in the 1995 negotiations, understood that it was business. Obviously, not in 1997.

No matter where Scott goes, he will always have this Lindros family problem as long as his father is his agent.

What makes things worse is Carlos thinks he's a lot smarter than Lou is and they really dont see eye to eye.

It's not about who's feeling smarter than who. I have no problem with your editorializing to blow off steam :evil: but I think what you are saying and what has some credibility beyond laying any blame at anyone's feat ... it's about priorities.

Mr. Gomez may not have a clear understanding of Scott's value because he's not objective. He may undersell he may oversell :noclue: He's learning withe the Holik, Nieds and Elias situations. Elias did some nice fair negotiations.. but Gomer's dad can't possibly think Scott is Elias - but he will think he's younger and better than Madden and just get confused with all there is to take into account -- there will be too much comparison going on in his mind and personally I think even HE won't quite grasp what the deal is - in trying to cover all his bases he may very easily lose sight of the ultimate goal: to get the most STABLE deal for his son. Not the most money -- that does not equal security or happiness in your chosen profession.

Stability, Balance - IMO should be your goal in negotiations... I think that's what I like so much about Elias's mindset - why I am so proud of both the organization and Elias for the deal struck.

It tells me Elias has some imagination which I wasn't sure of honestly - the cultural thing, language barrier even though he's got a great command of the language -- I just never could be certain I understood who Elias was. Now I do :evil:

Negotiations are the same as taking stupid penalties... things get personal and the player gets confused about what's important to him... tripping some fvcker? or a Gomez favorite which is VERY apt when it comes to contract negotiations: Mouthing off to the ref :doh1: That self-righteousness that bites you in the ass- you forget what fight it is your trying to win. This is what may stimey Gomez staying a Devil. He has too much imagination, too much emotion and he's reigning it in now but he's not in that clear place Elias is - not enough has happened on this team to define Gomez... this was the first year he began to form because the team needed him to, you know? He doesn't know yet... and Mr. Gomez doesn't have a clue - I honestly like the man and respect his intellegence -- I'm not going to say he thinks he's smarter than anyone and I'm not going to say he ISN'T as smart as anyone -- that's nonesense. I'm saying all the things that make Scott Gomez the wonderful player he is may be what ultimately takes him away from the team - my favorite traits may be why he just wont see his value -- or this organizations value.

He also may well not give a sh!te.. .and that's fine too. He's too young to make this dicision... He doesn't want Scott Stevens career in reverse I guess is what I'm thinking... but you knwo that's totally fine and it's a nice knowledge base but to have your hands tied up more and more the older you get rather than gain more and more control over your on ice life... :noclue: I'd be unhappy and frustrated ultimately - I like forward progression -- but his personal life -- family kids etc may get better and that may be where he wants to go... :noclue:

:giggle: ummm... so where exactly did I just totally go off here -- where am I? :unsure::giggle:

What makes things worse is Carlos thinks he's alot smarter than Lou is and they really dont see eye to eye.

How do you know Carlos thinks he's smarter than Lou?. The only thing I can think of for the comparison of Carlos and Lindros is they are both their kids agent other than that there is no comparison. Unless you are insinuating something. One article comes out and somehow everybody views Carlos as a headcase what did he say that was wrong?. I don't get it and it's giving me a headache.

Mr. Gomez may not have a clear understanding of Scott's value because he's not objective. He may undersell he may oversell :noclue: He's learning withe the Holik, Nieds and Elias situations. Elias did some nice fair negotiations.. but Gomer's dad can't possibly think Scott is Elias - but he will think he's younger and better than Madden and just get confused with all there is to take into account -- there will be too much comparison going on in his mind and personally I think even HE won't quite grasp what the deal is - in trying to cover all his bases he may very easily lose sight of the ultimate goal: to get the most STABLE deal for his son. Not the most money -- that does not equal security or happiness in your chosen profession.

He is not the only one making the decision on Scott's value though. If I remember correctly they were originally looking for I believe around 3.6 million and they still wanted a long term contract. I think the number went up but I am not 100% sure.

Stability, Balance - IMO should be your goal in negotiations... I think that's what I like so much about Elias's mindset - why I am so proud of both the organization and Elias for the deal struck.

All he wanted from the beginning was fair value and a long term contract. I don't remember when I started posting about that I think it was in January and might not have been on here.

Edited by sandman441

Carlos said the same stuff at the beginning of the season before training camp...yes Gomez has value however his dad forgets that he is what he is based on the players around him and the 'system'...Gomez seems happy regardless...of money...remember his playing for the Aces for what would be less than the cost of a suit per week. imnsho it is dad more than son in this situation...if he goes based on money he will not be what he is here for quite some time, if ever...a piece of a puzzle can always be replaced imo

Edited by StarDew

He is not the only one making the decision on Scott's value though. If I remember correctly they were originally looking for I believe around 3.6 million and they still wanted a long term contract. I think the number went up but I am not 100% sure.

All he wanted from the beginning was fair value and a long term contract. I don't remember when I started posting about that I think it was in January and might not have been on here.

I'm not making any call on what the guy or his father want for his future -- I'm just saying what I hope it's all about for them and that I hope his priorities are the same as mine :evil: including the one of mine that says "Pepperkorn would be a LOT happier if Scott Gomez were a Devil" I still think he's swell no matter where he ends up or what his motivation for signing wherever he signs is. I'ma Gomez fan - the fact he's kind of an a$$hole makes him all the more charming to me :noclue:

also, andy mcdonald, who may be compared to gomez during arbitration, resigned a 3 year deal at $3.3M per year.

Their last season was similar, but before that McDonald's career high was 30 points, Gomer's was 70 (twice), Gomez has been much better over his career and at an earlier age.

I'm not making any call on what the guy or his father want for his future -- I'm just saying what I hope it's all about for them and that I hope his priorities are the same as mine :evil: including the one of mine that says "Pepperkorn would be a LOT happier if Scott Gomez were a Devil" I still think he's swell no matter where he ends up or what his motivation for signing wherever he signs is. I'ma Gomez fan - the fact he's kind of an a$$hole makes him all the more charming to me :noclue:

I hope so too. I am a bit snappy though so if there was any insults in there I apologize. I can't believe some people said Carlos was like Lindros. That kinda got me a bit angry.

Also there was a rumor that Edmonton offered Scott a contract. I am trying to find out if it's true or not but as of yesterday it's not.

Edited by sandman441

They can give us all the picks they got in the Pronger trade.

Yeah. I don't think it's true though. If I remember correctly I think they would have to give up 3 first round picks if he signs a 4.0 4.99 deal or 4 picks if it's 5 and above

Edited by sandman441

also, andy mcdonald, who may be compared to gomez during arbitration, resigned a 3 year deal at $3.3M per year.

The Top 10 veteran Centers in scoring last year were: Thornton, Staal, Savard, Richards, Spezza, Jokinen, Sakic, Datsyuk, Marleau and McDonald; Gomez was 11th. The cumulative average salary next season for the top 10 guys is $4,942,000. It's a pretty good bet that Gomez gets around $4.5 million in arbitration.