Aves V. Detroit

NJDF

Why does ESPN keep trying to shove Aves v. Wings as the premiere rivalry in the NHL?? Has anyone seen any of these games lately. There is no fire/hate in this rivalry. This was always a Claude Lemeiux v. Red Wings rivaly...when Claude left the rivalry was dead; and it was obvious when you watched any game between them. However, ESPN, which needs a hockey game to either have 10+ goals or a bench clearing brawl to take any notice is STILL trying to sell this rivalry using clips that are mostly from two or three years ago.

Best rivalries in the NHL, right now, are Islanders v. Leafs and NJ v. :puke: Leafs.

GO DEVILS!!!

It's a good rivalry but cmon! I agree with the few who have posted here.

ESPN overkills everything. Nobody wants to see the same old teams. I am sick of it.

I really hope hockey leaves them when the contract is up. Does anyone know when that is?

It's just not the same as in the Claude days. Then it was: Avs-Wings III, The Conflagration!

Now it's just another game between two teams that don't like each other much, but aren't going to go out of their way to kill each other.

I will tune in though. It's hockey and a chance to see Hull score his 700th on Patty Wahhhhh.

Heh, I definitely noticed Mike Ricci on the Colorado bench during at least one of their promo shots...

yep, sitting next to Dale Hunter. The Avs/Wings rivalry is dead, just look at last nights 1-0 borefest with few high quality chances & major penalties. That's not a rivalry.

Don't get me wrong...these are still two good teams and always has a playoff feel to the game. But it isn't a hated rivalry as they insist. I think all avid hockey fans know this and don't need the game sold to them in that way to watch it; and the casual hockey fan or non-fan who may watch this game hoping for chippy play and fights will be very disappointed.

How about the Florida/Pittsburgh rivalry???? Mario is such a goon!! :uni:

GO DEVILS!!

Yeah, it's not a hated rivalry anymore.

But it's a game both teams REALLY want to win.

Boy that was boring. Last month's game was much better.

The photos of Cujo giving up the goal are hilarious. (And I am a fan of his.) He's airborne, like three feet off the ground and horizontal to it and the puck's down on the ice sliding by.

Haven't really seen anything in hockey lately that approaches what you seem to be looking for.

That's OK by me. I appreciate a good fight, but I'm not biding my time when I'm watching waiting for him.

But the passive fans love fights, so losing that kind of intensity probably isn't thrilling the league or the ratings guys.

But all of these rivalries are still good games. I mean don't we all really get up when the Devs play the Flyers. Your heart kind of beats faster when the game starts and everything like that.

So it's not bloody war out there, but there's still drama to be watched.

For fans of the Wings and Avs, last night's game mighta been thrilling. For me, there was no emotional investment.

To have a big time rivalry (IMO) you need a few things.

1) Playoff Matchups

2) Great games

3) Emotion in the building

4) Hatred between the teams

Right now the Ranger Devil has had good games, plenty of emotion (Holik personally responsible for that one) but the Rangers are not at an elite level, nor is there real hatred between the teams.

If the Rangers could get the 8 seed, and Kasparatis plants an elbow to the head of Elias, we'd have a big time rivalry again.

Perhaps there will be some nastiness in today's rematch.

Nah, there won't be any nastiness ... with too many key players out of the lineup and no coach behind the bench, the Avs are finished, right? :-)

Speaking of coaches, how in the world did Tocchet talk LaCroix into picking up McAllister -- if this trend continues, the Avs are going look more like the mid-90's Blackhawks -- Cummings, Probert, Ciccone, Russell, etc....?

The Avalanche, fair-weather faithful are clambering atop the bandwagon in droves ... why even you, HOS, have retrieved the old "One Goal/Team" placards from the mothballs ... thank God for Dallas & Vancouver -- they should make life in Colorado somewhat tolerable for me this Spring.