It's time for Fantasy Hockey again!

NJDevs4978

Some of you are probably wondering why NJay isn't starting this thread, since he's run the board fantasy league for the last three years. He asked me to run the league this year since he won't have enough time to do it, but he will still play.

There will be a couple of changes, but things will mostly be run the way they were before. This will still be a Yahoo! league with 20 teams and rotisserie scoring. Rosters will remain the same size with sixteen players and an IR spot.

As far as gameplay goes, I'm contemplating two changes. One, to reduce the number of goalie games to 82 (instead of the 164 that nobody ever reaches anyway) so that players can stick with their top goalies and won't have to pick up every Tom, Dick and Harry out there. And the other change I'll probably do is eliminate penalty minutes - which would hurt me since I've always scored highly in that category :lol: But with the 'new NHL' reducing fighting majors and increasing other kinds of penalties, it makes little sense to have this category as something that helps teams.

Other than me and NJay, red and DM also have automatic invites, red because he's the defending league winner and DM because he's the site owner and has played every year.

Of the other sixteen spots, all you have to do is ask in this thread and I'll send you the link to the league on a first-come, first-served basis, although I'm not going to give a spot to someone I know won't be active (since most people who have participated in the fantasy league in the past have been active, this shouldn't be an issue for anyone who wants to play).

I wouldn't mind having some new players join the fun so I won't reject anyone out of hand if they haven't played before. Ideally though, I also want to quasi-reserve spots for people that have played every year like Sarge, Derek, IAC and Swede among others, maybe a couple others like LOTCB and Sue who I know will be active.

BTW for those who are wondering, this will be a live draft. I'll probably start it at or after 9 PM, but before I announce a hard and fast date I want to know first what's more convenient for those that join - a weekend night or weekday night.

So, who wants in?

Edited by Hasan4978

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

731 is the fifth team in

One thing I forgot to mention, red because he won the league last year gets to pick his draft position. If he wants to have the first pick in the draft or the twentieth pick, he gets it. Since Yahoo! does a snake draft there are advantages and disadvantages to any spot. Everyone knows what strategy I used the last couple of years after I won :lol:

Every pick other than red I'll draw at random.

Couple of questions. Do you have to have 3 sets of 5, LW C RW D D and a goaltender or can you have something like 15 centers and a goaltender?

Some of the pools I've been in have for example, 5 fantasy points for each goal scored. If it's not one point for one goal could you list the totals for each fantasy feat.

(Maybe you explained it in rotisserie scoring, Sorry for being dense.)

Edit: Are the 16 players all active and/or is there a bench?

By asking these questions, you can tell I might be interested. :P

Edited by Rock

Actually it's nothing like that, see each roster has 16 players, of them 11 start (two centers, two LW's, two RW's, four D and one goalie) and five are bench players. Each single position has an 82-game limint; meaning you have 164 combined games for two C, two LW and two RW, 328 combined games for the four D and 82 games for the one goalie.

The league is scored this way; if your 'starters' have the most goals you get twenty points, second-most goals nineteen points and so forth, the fewest goals gets one point. I think there'll be fifteen different categories, whoever has the most points combined in all the categories at the end of the season wins.

Right now I have the categories listed this way:

Skaters - Goals, Assists, Points, +/-, PPP (Power Play Points), SHP (Short-handed points), GWG (Game-winning goals), Shots and Faceoff wins

Goalies - Wins, Losses (fewest losses gets most points), GAA, Saves, Save Percentage and Shutouts.

Edited by Hasan4978

Actually it's nothing like that, see each roster has 16 players, of them 11 start (two centers, two LW's, two RW's, four D and one goalie) and five are bench players. Each single position has an 82-game limint; meaning you have 164 combined games for two C, two LW and two RW, 328 combined games for the four D and 82 games for the one goalie.

The league is scored this way; if your 'starters' have the most goals you get twenty points, second-most goals nineteen points and so forth, the fewest goals gets one point. I think there'll be fifteen different categories, whoever has the most points combined in all the categories at the end of the season wins.

Right now I have the categories listed this way:

Skaters - Goals, Assists, Points, +/-, PPP (Power Play Points), SHP (Short-handed points), GWG (Game-winning goals), Shots and Faceoff wins

Goalies - Wins, Losses (fewest losses gets most points), GAA, Saves, Save Percentage and Shutouts.

One more question: Any limit on player changes? If my starter gets hurt can I change him right away or do I have to wait a time period, say to the end of the fantasy week?

One more question: Any limit on player changes? If my starter gets hurt can I change him right away or do I have to wait a time period, say to the end of the fantasy week?

You can make unlimited changes. Any change goes into effect for the next day's lineup. The only restriction on player movement is if a free agent happens to be on waivers (anyone that gets released by another team, anyone that goes undrafted, or rookies that get added to the game after they play in an NHL game), then you have to wait two days until waivers expire, and the highest waiver position that puts in a claim gets the player and that team resets back to the lowest waiver position.

An unlimited number of trades are allowed as well, till early March. The only trades that will get overturned are those that are obviously collusive; say one team trades their three best players to another team for their three worst players. I think I'll set it up so I approve or disallow all trades, so that the two-day waiting period can be bypassed since we haven't had problems with collusive trades for the most part except for the first season a couple of people did do that.

So you want in?

Edited by Hasan4978

You can make unlimited changes. Any change goes into effect for the next day's lineup. The only restriction on player movement is if a free agent happens to be on waivers (anyone that gets released by another team, anyone that goes undrafted, or rookies that get added to the game after they play in an NHL game), then you have to wait two days until waivers expire, and the highest waiver position that puts in a claim gets the player and that team resets back to the lowest waiver position.

Obviously an unlimited number of trades are allowed too, till early March. The only trades that will get overturned are those that are obviously collusive - say one friend trades his three best players to another team for their three worst players.

So you want in?

I'll give it a shot, even though it's like no fantasy league I've been in before. :P

I just hope my team is not too much fodder for you veterans. :unsure:

I'll give it a shot, even though it's like no fantasy league I've been in before. :P

I just hope my team is not too much fodder for you veterans. :unsure:

Well there's a first time for everyone :) I'm actually surprised you're interested; I didn't think it was your thing, but if you want in you're in. Ironically the first year of our league was my first year trying a roto format in any sport and I struggled early (was like nineteenth a third through the season) but then steamrolled the rest of the way and won by like forty points.

And welcome back LGD...you and Rock are teams seven and eight heh.

Twelve spots left.

Edited by Hasan4978

Well there's a first time for everyone :) I'm actually surprised you're interested; I didn't think it was your thing, but if you want in you're in.

I stay away from fantasy sports in general. I do hockey though. You know the ones where multiple teams have a player like Joe Thornton on their team. The one I do, each player is assigned a salary so you have to put together a team of 20 players under a certain limit or cap. :P 4 goaltenders 6 wingers 4 centers 6 defensemen plus a bench of 10

I've got in the top 50 out of 2500 teams a few times. The teams that clean up know the good young cheap defenseman so they can load up on the higher priced wingers and centers.

Edited by Rock

red even presuming you and your son would keep it honest I do want to keep the league to people that post on the board since there's such a big demand for teams. And yes you can pick whatever spot you want as I said. I've done first pick but you can pick tenth, twentieth, whatever. Got a spot in mind?

And Jester you're in, eleven spots left.

Edited by Hasan4978

red even presuming you and your son would keep it honest I do want to keep the league to people that post on the board since there's such a big demand for teams. And yes you can pick whatever spot you want as I said. I've done first pick but you can pick tenth, twentieth, whatever. Got a spot in mind?

And Jester you're in, eleven spots left.

Understood, if there are any spots left please keep him in mind.. he actually does read the board ( He's not allowed in NLD!!!), I just donot allow him to post.