LeClair on Waivers

Derek21

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ao5V...p&type=lgns

Penguins waive LeClair

November 30, 2006

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- John LeClair was placed on waivers Thursday by the Pittsburgh Penguins, a decision designed to try to move the three-time 50-goal scorer to another team.

If LeClair clears waivers by Friday, the Penguins must decide whether to release him and be responsible for his $1.5 million salary or keep him and try to work out a trade in which they might have to pick up part of his salary.

The 37-year-old LeClair, a healthy scratch for two of Pittsburgh's last six games, signed with the Penguins in August 2005 following the NHL's lengthy labor impasse. He had 22 goals and 51 points last season, but his ice time dipped this season after the Penguins added rookies Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal.

LeClair has two goals and five assists in 21 games. His playing-time average of less than 12 minutes is the lowest for any Penguins player who has appeared in at least 20 games. By contrast, Malkin is averaging about 20 minutes.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero made the move after consulting with LeClair, who has not complained publicly about his lack of playing time.

"It's frustrating, but you have to deal with it," LeClair said.

LeClair, who did not accompany the Penguins to New Jersey for their game Friday night, is 33 games short of playing in 1,000 in his NHL career. He has 406 goals and 413 assists for 819 points in 967 career games.

The Penguins also assigned forward Andre Roy to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL after clearing waivers. He has played in five games this season and has been little used since being signed by former general manager Craig Patrick last year.

Edited by Derek21

He might be finished.

Peter Bondra is still out there and training, he's going to be signed at the latest point possible since teams are going to try to get him with the most possible gas left in the tank. This is the guy I'd try and get for the 3rd line.

Edited by '7'

BRING BACK FREISEN AND TVER BABY!

what a sad trade that turned out to be. Wasn't it Sykora, Damphouse, and Commodore for those two, then anaheim parlayed damphouse and commodore into rob niedermayer, a move that had disastrous consequences...

oh well Friesen is still the man i don't care what anybody says, bring him back.

Curtis Joseph, Coyotes. To be fair, he plays on a team in Phoenix that would have trouble preventing a minor peewee team from setting single-game scoring records.

Spare me; Boyton, Jovo, Ballard, Seidenberg and Michalek are probably the best group of defensemen he has played behind in years. With the exception of Derek Morris Phoenix has some of the best young defensemen in the league to build from.

Its the forwards that are the problem in Phoenix, NOT the defense.

Peter Bondra the answer for the third line? Surely you jest.

If he is still interested in playing, I suspect he will be picked up - but certainly not by us. He was never good defensively and he will only benefit a team in desperate need of a 2nd line RW. That's not us.

How did Bondra do for Atlanta last year?

Plus I don't think an older, established patient like Bondra would fit into this type of system. Too much work for a natural scorer who has made his living that way. While Carpenter made that move I don't know how many guys could play this system so well learing it late in their careers.