HALE TO FLAMES

officerfarva

I would have liked a little more than a 3rd rounder but if Matvichuck is ready to go and will play like he did toward the end of last season, it had to be done. Hope he (Hale) doesn't turn out to be another Souray.

Man lets hope Matvitchuk is ready to comeback and is healthy. That would suck to see Hale turn out to be really good. He will do well Hale but he won't be a Souray.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, I guess this is the cap space for Matvichuk. They needed to clear up 1.36 M / 3, which they did. I like our team better with Matvichuk than Hale for sure, and we still have Greene.

skeeter, Sheldon Souray's transformation is quite possibly the most unpredictable event in recent memory. Souray wasn't even a scorer in the WHL - it's a total fluke, and he's still hurting the Habs defensively.

It's worth noting that David Hale still hasn't scored an NHL goal.

Edited by Triumph

Other teams have seen what we've seen and the extent to which Hale regressed this year, he honestly wasn't worth much more than that at this point IMO and he wasn't helping out this year's team. Lou did him a favor as much as anything getting him out though, at least he'll get a shot in Calgary and for another defensive system.

i don't see how matvichuk can come in and play. I thought with hale we were right up against the cap, and we've accrued very little over the course of the year. Matvichuk makes like 600,00-800,000 more per year, so that would put us over i would think. I think if we play brooks for the next 10-20 games, then we could bring in matvichuk to replace him and work under the cap.

anybody have a better idea as to the numbers?

i don't see how matvichuk can come in and play. I thought with hale we were right up against the cap, and we've accrued very little over the course of the year. Matvichuk makes like 600,00-800,000 more per year, so that would put us over i would think. I think if we play brooks for the next 10-20 games, then we could bring in matvichuk to replace him and work under the cap.

anybody have a better idea as to the numbers?

No, the way it works is that we only have to have enough space left for Matvichuk's remaining contract. Ergo, Matvichuk making 1.368, can slide in for Hale's 550K, with no problem, because Matvichuk is only due to make about 400-450K more this season.

EDIT - I was kind of hoping Lou would deal Matvichuk - I don't think he fits in for next season. I'd like to see Lukowich back for 2/3, personally, but I guess that just may not be in the cards - I prefer Lukowich's increased mobility.

Edited by Triumph

but hale was only due to make 200-300 more this season, and that barely fit under the cap

It's a running total - this is the only way teams can afford to load up at the deadline as they do. Do you think Detroit really had 5M under the cap all year? Or that NJ could add Wiemer, Klee, and Lukowich while only subtracting Sean Brown last season?

If you acquire a player during the season, you're only the hook for his remaining contract.

yeah i know it's a running total, and i was under the impression that with hale at 600k we were right up against the cap, so to play matvichuk the rest of the year at 1.2 would put us over since we haven't accrued enough cap space this year. I think the only way it can work is if we put in brooks for 400k for 10-20 games then hopefully we will have accrued enough space to bring in matvichuk for the rest of the regular season.

I don't have the numbers but I'm saying if we bring in matvichuk now we will be over the cap for the season within a number of games I think.

We have 19 games left. Matvichuck costs 316,976. Hale would cost 127,439. Plus we have been earning credits by only playing with the minimum roster all season. I don't know what the number is but it should be close.

ok that's pretty close

edit: i think we were 50,000 less than the cap for the year, so that makes us $609.75 under the cap per game. Does anyone else know if that's correct?

if it is then we have only $38,414.25 to work with

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Thanks for all the info on Hale. Good Luck in the playoffs.. See you in the Finals.

Same to you bro. Hale still has upside, but he was regressing here. He just wasn't part of our future. He might turn out okay for you. Best of luck.

You think Lou doesn't have this all thought out? Of course Matvichuk can come back. Of course we will be under the cap. I'm not going to try to analyze whether we will make it or not - that's Lou's job and I'm just drinkin' the kool aid.

We'll here an announcement that Matvichuk has been activated by no later than Friday. Book it.