I do beleive they can come back but...

PaDevsFan

You know I am tired of hearing how much better Ottawa is than us etc etc etc. I watch these games like everybody else, and they are good, they are deep , and they are better than Tampa, but they are not unbeatable, and they are not a far better team than the Devils in my opinion. That being said I really do not understand Lou and his thinking so far. A few things to start with. 1 Elias has looked over matched out there for whatever reason whether he is still sick, fatigued just lost his confidence whatever, but he is not helping this team right now, and in last nights game he hurt the team in my opinion. Yeah he had an assist, but how many turnovers, how many blind passes picked off how many times is he just going to weakly send a wrist shot towards the net to have it blocked?? 2. the Madden line has been abused so far in this series and for the most part in the Tampa series. Those are 2 pretty obvious observations that I think almost everyone will agree on. 3. NO consistant energy from this team. Yeah we have a spurt here and a spurt there, but really nothing that builds momentum. Honestly I do not think this team has played 60 minutes in a game this entire post season. They have played in spurts and were able to get by a lesser talented team. The only game that you could say was close to a complete performance was the shutout over Tampa. WE NEED 60 MINUTES FROM THE ENTIRE TEAM!!!!!

A couple of changes (which I know wont happen because Lou just doesnt do these kinds of things):

1. Today this morning right now for that matter I would make the announcement that Patty is still suffering effects of some virus or something (make it up if you have to) and he will not play Sat night. If it is his head not being in it, then maybe that will wake him up (if there is a game 6) If he is not healthy then he needs to rest anyway because in my opinion he isnt helping right now. So in conjunction with him sitting I move Clarkson to the Wing with Gomez and Gio. That will give a little more physical presence to that line and he can skate well enough to hold his own. He isnt going to light the lamp a ton but with Gio and Gomer there he isnt needed for scoring, just physical presence.

2. I make the following additional line changes. Keep Zajac line together because I do not fix what isnt broken. I move Rass up to play with Madden and Pando and possibly sit Brylin for a game maybe more if needed (I also know Lou loves Brylin so no chance of this happeneing but this is just what I would do) Next I have a 4th line of Dowd Rupp and Janssen. If that line isnt an energy line then I dont know what is.

3. I dont worry about matching Madden against Heatley because it certainly hasnt worked so far. I roll the lines, and try to get Parise out against them as much as possible, or Gomer and Gio , but if not ok I just roll the lines. And I do give the 4th line at least some regular shifts. If they do their job properly, and with Clarkson banging on Gomers line we should at least create energy, and hopefully build some momentum.

4. Minor but I give Zajacs line much more time on PP and even 5 on 5. They seem to be the most consistant so REWARD THEM!!!!!

I know it is a long uphill battle and the odds are certainly against this team. And making these changes could help or maybe not help, but one thing is for sure Ottawa would not just come in and punish this Devils team like they have so far this series. They would at least feel paybacks as well!!

Again I go back to my original comments and thoughts, I dont think Ottawa is that much better we just havent played a complete game, and I honestly feel if we do we will win games. (We showed when we play we take the play to them) Just not enough YET!!

I know you are upset (me too), but Brylin is a versatile role player.

He turns the puck over because Lou has him matched against Heatley, which is Lou;s fault, not Sarge's. It's Lou's fault for not having a proper RW on the Madden line (I think Rass should play there).

Brylin set up Martin's goal and has played well on the checking line.

He's center's the 2nd PP unit which has been better than the first IMHO with very limited ice time.

The issue I have is that he is being used too much and in the wrong place.

If he was our 4th line center, playing PK and PP, you wouldn't be mentioning him.

Now Elias is a different story....

I know you are upset (me too), but Brylin is a versatile role player.

He turns the puck over because Lou has him matched against Heatley, which is Lou;s fault, not Sarge's. It's Lou's fault for not having a proper RW on the Madden line (I think Rass should play there).

Brylin set up Martin's goal and has played well on the checking line.

He's center's the 2nd PP unit which has been better than the first IMHO with very limited ice time.

The issue I have is that he is being used too much and in the wrong place.

If he was our 4th line center, playing PK and PP, you wouldn't be mentioning him.

Now Elias is a different story....

Edited by PaDevsFan

1 Elias has looked over matched out there for whatever reason whether he is still sick, fatigued just lost his confidence whatever, but he is not helping this team right now, and in last nights game he hurt the team in my opinion. Yeah he had an assist, but how many turnovers, how many blind passes picked off how many times is he just going to weakly send a wrist shot towards the net to have it blocked??

No doubt about it. Watching the game last night, I found myself saying, "THIS is one of the most feared forwards in the league???"

I hate to say it, but he's been useless this series.

I love Patty, but I'm glad someone finally threw down the gauntlet here and questioned exactly what he's brought to the table these playoffs.

I agree with everyone here what they are saying. Elias I think is hurting this team more than helping IF he is still sick. If he is not sick, then he needs to get it in gear here. As far as Brylin. Lou will not sit him for many reasons. he could be moved on another line which I could see.

The 4th line for now should be Clarkson, Dowd and Janssen. Yes, this line would give a lot of energy and Lou has nothing to lose now by putting in Janssen in for Game 5. Daneyko said the same thing after Game 4 last night in the post game show. This team will not quit and will not lose this series that easily. It will go 6 or 7 games for sure.

Well it's nice to see some optimism on the board thats for sure.

Realistically the team still has a chance. 3 wins is great and all but you need 4 so as bad as things seem right now, the Devils are still alive and still have an opportunity to win the series. I guess I still have some faith because even for those of you who think that Ottawa is so far ahead of the Devils, is it really a stretch to say that after 4 games both teams should at least be tied 2-2? I don't think so. Ottawa has been very good during certain points but I think its fair to say that the Devils have played well enough thus far that they should have won a couple of these things.

The way I see it, the Devils and Sens are just very evenly matched teams. Sure you can say that Ottawa may be better offensively and maybe even defensively as well, but its not by a landslide. The one area though that both teams differ greatly in is goal tending. This should be a HUGE advantage for the Devils but they just haven't had it on a regular basis.

I don't know how much I would change. Mixing up the lines could probably bring some benefits but it also seems like a panic move if you do something like that. Besides it's not like we have a whole bunch of options at this point anyways. The team is constructed in a way where it's difficult to just start mixing lines up. The Devils have shown that they can play great in all areas of the game but it always seems to happen at different times. One day Marty is on fire but the offense sucks. Next game the defense is horrible but the team is scoring. Maybe once and for all they can find a way to put it all together out there on the ice.

Look, Ottawa is a good team but I just don't feel like they deserve to be up 3 game to 1 right now. If the Devils are going to lose then I would hope they would make Ottawa earn it. It's been to easy for them so far. The Devils are working hard but they're just not making smart decisions with the puck out there. I think the Devils can be better

Edited by SickMan

Agree with everyones points, but again, it's Lou we're talking about...how much lineup change do you really think we'll see Saturday night? Since it's desperation time down 3-1, and we're discussing Elias, Clarkson, Brylin, etc...why not throw Rafalski into the mix...what has he done to help at all in this series? Why not sit him down? Would Oduya honestly have been that much worse? I love the idea of Cam getting in. Many talk about how his 2 minutes a game won't add anything, but I disagree. This team is playing emotionless hockey right now. Cam obviously adds that element, I'm sure magnified in this instance by the fact that he hasn't played in a month.

Again, all that being said, I'm sure we see the same lineup Saturday that we saw last night...

I truly believe the Devs come out and play their best game of the season on Saturday, and send it back to Ottawa for game 6. And if not, let the summer FA talks begin!

If Cam plays, I highly doubt he will only get 2 minutes.

Elias just seems lost right now. Something isnt right with him. He's not looking anything like a top echelon forward. He's looking more and more like Gomez did during the regular season. Parise is young, throw him a couple double shifts with that line.

Get a little crazy, a little funky, put Elias out with the third line and let Brylin take a coupld shifts on the top line. The Devils need to win three in a row, this is not time to think, "OK status quo." Status quo is not working, they need to throw everything at Ottawa.

Cam could be the spark plug the Devils need. It's happened time and time again with this team, the most unlikely person to step up does and it changes the Devils fortunes.

Marshall did it in 2003...twice (goal against Tampa, primary assist on Freezers GWG against Ottawa in game 7)

Rupp - CUP winning goal

Dowd - 95

Screw it, put Clarkson, Rupp, and Janssen as your fourth line.

You know I am tired of hearing how much better Ottawa is than us etc etc etc. I watch these games like everybody else, and they are good, they are deep , and they are better than Tampa, but they are not unbeatable, and they are not a far better team than the Devils in my opinion. That being said I really do not understand Lou and his thinking so far. A few things to start with. 1 Elias has looked over matched out there for whatever reason whether he is still sick, fatigued just lost his confidence whatever, but he is not helping this team right now, and in last nights game he hurt the team in my opinion. Yeah he had an assist, but how many turnovers, how many blind passes picked off how many times is he just going to weakly send a wrist shot towards the net to have it blocked?? 2. the Madden line has been abused so far in this series and for the most part in the Tampa series. Those are 2 pretty obvious observations that I think almost everyone will agree on. 3. NO consistant energy from this team. Yeah we have a spurt here and a spurt there, but really nothing that builds momentum. Honestly I do not think this team has played 60 minutes in a game this entire post season. They have played in spurts and were able to get by a lesser talented team. The only game that you could say was close to a complete performance was the shutout over Tampa. WE NEED 60 MINUTES FROM THE ENTIRE TEAM!!!!!

A couple of changes (which I know wont happen because Lou just doesnt do these kinds of things):

1. Today this morning right now for that matter I would make the announcement that Patty is still suffering effects of some virus or something (make it up if you have to) and he will not play Sat night. If it is his head not being in it, then maybe that will wake him up (if there is a game 6) If he is not healthy then he needs to rest anyway because in my opinion he isnt helping right now. So in conjunction with him sitting I move Clarkson to the Wing with Gomez and Gio. That will give a little more physical presence to that line and he can skate well enough to hold his own. He isnt going to light the lamp a ton but with Gio and Gomer there he isnt needed for scoring, just physical presence.

2. I make the following additional line changes. Keep Zajac line together because I do not fix what isnt broken. I move Rass up to play with Madden and Pando and possibly sit Brylin for a game maybe more if needed (I also know Lou loves Brylin so no chance of this happeneing but this is just what I would do) Next I have a 4th line of Dowd Rupp and Janssen. If that line isnt an energy line then I dont know what is.

3. I dont worry about matching Madden against Heatley because it certainly hasnt worked so far. I roll the lines, and try to get Parise out against them as much as possible, or Gomer and Gio , but if not ok I just roll the lines. And I do give the 4th line at least some regular shifts. If they do their job properly, and with Clarkson banging on Gomers line we should at least create energy, and hopefully build some momentum.

4. Minor but I give Zajacs line much more time on PP and even 5 on 5. They seem to be the most consistant so REWARD THEM!!!!!

I know it is a long uphill battle and the odds are certainly against this team. And making these changes could help or maybe not help, but one thing is for sure Ottawa would not just come in and punish this Devils team like they have so far this series. They would at least feel paybacks as well!!

Again I go back to my original comments and thoughts, I dont think Ottawa is that much better we just havent played a complete game, and I honestly feel if we do we will win games. (We showed when we play we take the play to them) Just not enough YET!!

As you saw from my post I agree put Rass with Madden and Pando, and ok lets put Brylin on the 4th line centering Rupp and Janssen, that line would work to get some energy flowing too!!

P.S. I am more upset with how Ottawa is still looked at as this all powerful team. I still do not beleive we have played a complete game yet, and if we do I feel we can match them just fine.

I have to admit that those two penalties toward the end of the game really pissed me off - the last thing we needed was that trying to get back in it - i also wish the devils were never on the pp :pray:

I have to admit that those two penalties toward the end of the game really pissed me off - the last thing we needed was that trying to get back in it - i also wish the devils were never on the pp :pray:

If Cam plays, I highly doubt he will only get 2 minutes.

Elias just seems lost right now. Something isnt right with him. He's not looking anything like a top echelon forward. He's looking more and more like Gomez did during the regular season. Parise is young, throw him a couple double shifts with that line.

Get a little crazy, a little funky, put Elias out with the third line and let Brylin take a coupld shifts on the top line. The Devils need to win three in a row, this is not time to think, "OK status quo." Status quo is not working, they need to throw everything at Ottawa.

Cam could be the spark plug the Devils need. It's happened time and time again with this team, the most unlikely person to step up does and it changes the Devils fortunes.

Marshall did it in 2003...twice (goal against Tampa, primary assist on Freezers GWG against Ottawa in game 7)

Rupp - CUP winning goal

Dowd - 95

Screw it, put Clarkson, Rupp, and Janssen as your fourth line.

both teams are evenly matched - there is no reason to believe this team is down & out - after Ottowa scored that first goal they could have ratcheted it up a notch and put it away - the devils turned it up tho over the course of the next 5 minutes and made it a more even tempo game - they need to play that style of hockey for 60 minutes - it may be pie in the sky or maybe i'm just blathering :noclue:

Elias was the worst player on the ice last night. He's gone from bad to worse. If that's all he's got, scratch him.

I'd really like to see Parise get some time with Gomez. I hesitate to break up the Zajac line, but maybe a few shifts could get us a goal.

I've been hoping to see Jansen, b/c I am tired of seeing my team get pushed around. Rupp was adding nothing, but Clarksen played pretty well last night (except for missing that slam dunk in front :doh1:). Do we really need Dowd for PK#2?

By my count, the Devils have won three of the 12 periods (#2 in game 1, #1 in game 2, #2 in game 4), plus the overtime. The Senators are pretty obviously the better team. They are faster, deeper, and more skilled. The better team doesn't always win, but if you allow them to dictate tempo and control the puck, they usually do.

Elias was the worst player on the ice last night. He's gone from bad to worse. If that's all he's got, scratch him.

I'd really like to see Parise get some time with Gomez. I hesitate to break up the Zajac line, but maybe a few shifts could get us a goal.

I've been hoping to see Jansen, b/c I am tired of seeing my team get pushed around. Rupp was adding nothing, but Clarksen played pretty well last night (except for missing that slam dunk in front :doh1:). Do we really need Dowd for PK#2?

By my count, the Devils have won three of the 12 periods (#2 in game 1, #1 in game 2, #2 in game 4), plus the overtime. The Senators are pretty obviously the better team. They are faster, deeper, and more skilled. The better team doesn't always win, but if you allow them to dictate tempo and control the puck, they usually do.

Could it be that this team is still not all-together or gelling because Lou yanked Julien way too late to make his mark?

The team obviously changed under Lou, perhaps for the better. But its still in transition trying to gain an identity. Things like being confident in your D, and knowing the transition game are stuff that comes from a coach.

No doubt, 3 games is not enough. Lou really has not done a good job these past two years. He's relinquished his "best GM in hockey" title a while ago.

Could it be that this team is still not all-together or gelling because Lou yanked Julien way too late to make his mark?

The team obviously changed under Lou, perhaps for the better. But its still in transition trying to gain an identity. Things like being confident in your D, and knowing the transition game are stuff that comes from a coach.

No doubt, 3 games is not enough. Lou really has not done a good job these past two years. He's relinquished his "best GM in hockey" title a while ago.

Edited by Triumph

curious who you think picked it up. it sure as hell is not jimmy rutherford. it's not brian burke either, before i hear any of that nonsense - though burke has done a solid job.

and this crap about the devils not putting together a 60 minute effort is just that - crap. i'm tired of people thinking the devils are going to look like the 2001 devils when they win games now - they won't. they won't even look like the 2003 devils. the senators are a better team - we need our goalie to be the difference, and last night he just wasn't.

they've got to do something, put cam in, something, cause we are getting outplayed. i can't believe that ottawa is this good. elias must not be healthy, cause he seems to moving very slow. change the lines, put jamie with gomez, parise, and gionta. those are the hot players. rafaliski has not done much, and as much as i love sergei, he might need to sit. stick with someof the younger crew, i liked clarkson last night and rupp is good too. i like the idea of putting them with cam. try something, cause we don't seem to be playing with enough energy. where's the goals? ottawa keeps kiling our penalities. this series is not over yet, we can come back.

My simplistic outside observation:

In Game 4, the Devils needed that 1st goal. Now I know the Devils tied the game at 1...but the Devils need to get their game going early in each game. The Devils with a lead is VERY VERY tough to beat. The Devils are not the kind of team that you expect to come back from deficits on a consistent basis.

The good thing is there are 2 of 3 potential games at home.

Get Game 5, put the pressue on Ottawa for Game 6 and anything can happen.