Gomez will likely sign with either

Sockeye

that's a good list sundstrom - nice work.

somehow i thought elias signed 7/2.

i don't expect 20 signings, but i expect 10+.

elias' signing was announced around 11pm on that saturday. i remember as i was refreshing my web browser on my phone all night while i was at dinner. the rumors that day had him going to NYR, MTL, and CHI (as if they were done deals).

last year, 40 deals were done on 7/1 (a few of those were rfa moves). i expect all the major UFA's to be signed:

drury

briere

gomez

rafalski

souray

hannan

stuart

hamerlik

zubrus

handzus

forsberg

kariya

smyth

the reason for this is that each team that's going out into the UFA market has one big contract to hand out and if they've made up their mind that they're getting someone, the UFA's know this and want to get paired off before there are no partners left.

all the big deals happened on the first day and fairly early.

fyi, source: http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/06NHL_...nt_tracker1.php

Edited by sundstrom

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. All it takes is one guy getting the team he wanted or the money he wanted. Once one signs, it's a mad frenzy to get one of the remaining players yer team wants. The phones don't stop ringing until the teams "in search of" get their man.

I was told LA over a month ago during the playoffs. It makes plenty of sense because of his family. Kind of like Niedermayer. Plus it would be a team that needs a marketable guy and Gomez is that. Unlike most players, he has personality and probably would enjoy playing in a big city.

I guess we'll see what happens.

If he wants to go to a team that's more open offensively, going to the Rangers makes no sense.

They've been trapping more than anyone else in the league, including the Devils, since the lockout. It's not as if he'll be going to a team where he won't be asked to be defensively responsible any more, unless the Rangers would be willing to say "Screw the sole reason for our recent success!" if he signs with them.

He'd be more likely to get that no defensive responsibilites deal with the Flyers if he's going to insist on signing with one of our rivals. :saddevil:

If he wants to go to a team that's more open offensively, going to the Rangers makes no sense.

They've been trapping more than anyone else in the league, including the Devils, since the lockout. It's not as if he'll be going to a team where he won't be asked to be defensively responsible any more, unless the Rangers would be willing to say "Screw the sole reason for our recent success!" if he signs with them.

He'd be more likely to get that no defensive responsibilites deal with the Flyers if he's going to insist on signing with one of our rivals. :saddevil:

Do not think Scott will go to the Rangers. That would be foolish and a nice slap in the face to Lou and the Devils. Scott will be going out west somewhere like L.A. or Edmonton. If he wanted to remain in the east it would be the Devils as I think Lou will offer Scott $6 million a season to stay here. but it may not be enough.

What about the Flyers' supposed $8 million per offer? Probably just speculation but who the hell knows, the Flyers will sign a big-name player you can pretty much take that to the bank. I predicted Briere in another thread but it could be Gomez if they blow him out of the wazoo with that offer.