Gomez will likely sign with either

Sockeye

OK once again here it won't be the Rangers or the Flyers. Gomez will be going out west and like I have said all along to the L.A. Kings. Gomez will not go to an east team when he knows he could re-sign with the Devils who are a contender every year for the SC. It will not be the Rangers or the Flyers. Gomez will not hurt the Devils or Lou by signing with a division rival. It will be the Kings.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys want a laugh: Listening to Hockey Central gearing up for July 1st. Hosts and callers DO NOT WANT GOMEZ in Toronto saying he isn't worth $6 million and how he doesn't fight for the puck. They would rather have Jason Blake.

Cracks me up that TORONTO fans don' t want to OVERPAY for a Free Agent.

If you guys want a laugh: Listening to Hockey Central gearing up for July 1st. Hosts and callers DO NOT WANT GOMEZ in Toronto saying he isn't worth $6 million and how he doesn't fight for the puck. They would rather have Jason Blake.

Lets just say I know a lot of close sources when it comes to Gomez' friends and neighbors that talk to him all the time. It won't be an east team (except to re-sign with the Devils which is not happening) and so this will be last time I will say that. Watch and see after July 1st. It will be out west and L.A. it could be.

Excellent point, first thing i thought of when the OP suggested he got offers. Didnt we get a few draft picks because the blues tried to negotiate with Stevens before he was a FA?

The OP didn't say that at all. He said Gomer expected to get offers:

I'm from Anchorage and I heard from someone that knows one of Gomer's good buddies, who said from his most recent conversation with Scott that he believes its down to Rangers, Flyers, and Kings. He got the impression this was mostly due to the offers he expects to get from those teams. He got the distinct impression that Scott is considering all of those teams legitimate options.

And backed up by 731:

I wouldn't be surprised if all the big UFA's know about how much and what teams are going to be offering them deals. All unofficially of course.

as a follow-up to rowdy, how do you think so many guys sign on july 1? they've got to be aware of who's in the market for them and who's willing to offer what.

the tampering was that they actually negotiated with stevens before july 1 and it was provable.

Here's how I see it playing out...

Flyers official to Gomez' agent - "we want to talk to Scott"

Agent - "OK, how much"

Official - "Can't say, that would be tampering"

Agent - "I'm going to counting... start whistling when the mood strikes you. Four million... five... six... seven"

Official - (starts whistling O Canada)

Agent - "Do you have a number I can call you on July 1 to check your fourth of July plans?"

I like how if he goes out West, Gomez still retains some of the respect of the Devils fans... But if he goes to the Flyers or the Rangers, then he is the biggest douchebag to wear a Devils' kit since Bobby Holik crossed the River.

I don't have to say it, but I will echo a prevalent sentiment:

As of next week, someone is going to be paying way more than they should for the services of Scott Gomez. I'd like him to stay, but I'd rather see the Devils use whatever they offer Gomez to get a UFA of their own.

I would be very surprised if fa's knew offers they were going to get.

thats tampering. its against the rules. Teams have been caught before. I understand why gomez can expect a certain amount of money, but its silly that he knows which teams can offer him what unless an offer has been made.

An obviously its an unoffical offer at this point....

Because im sure agents are taking phonecalls at 12:01am? or whene ever the official hour of the FA begins.

I like how if he goes out West, Gomez still retains some of the respect of the Devils fans... But if he goes to the Flyers or the Rangers, then he is the biggest douchebag to wear a Devils' kit since Bobby Holik crossed the River.

I don't have to say it, but I will echo a prevalent sentiment:

As of next week, someone is going to be paying way more than they should for the services of Scott Gomez. I'd like him to stay, but I'd rather see the Devils use whatever they offer Gomez to get a UFA of their own.

The current line on Scotty Gomez is... There are teams willing to pay $8 million dollars for the guy. He has been seen running with Shanahan, so the Rangers are being speculated. The Flyers will be in that battle as well...As will the Islanders, Oilers, Senators, Avalanche and Wild. The interesting thing about Gomez demanding so much is that if you talk to some Devils players they don't believe he should get that much. "He is much better with Lou behind the bench" I have heard over and over..draw your own conclusions.

via hockeybuzz

I see your new to these parts, but FYI: Lou is NOT going to use the Gomez money to sign another teams UFA.

He is going to use that to keep Rafi and potential raises for our RFA's. If there is anything left over he will sign a low ball deal for a support player.

Your very mistaken if you think Lou will sign Briere or Drury.

I would be surprised to see Briere or Drury in a Devils kit next season. My thoughts run along the lines of using Gomez' offer to keep Rafalski and bring in a lower-level UFA (hey, Sykora and Friesen are both UFAs as of Sunday!)

I was told LA over a month ago during the playoffs. It makes plenty of sense because of his family. Kind of like Niedermayer. Plus it would be a team that needs a marketable guy and Gomez is that. Unlike most players, he has personality and probably would enjoy playing in a big city.

I guess we'll see what happens.

that's a good list sundstrom - nice work.

somehow i thought elias signed 7/2.

i don't expect 20 signings, but i expect 10+.

I think Elias signed late on 7/1...I didn't hear about it until I woke up on 7/2, then again, I'm getting old and can't stay up very late anymore.