The locked completely off topic post in HELL

Diabolical

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32188

I understand the sentiment for this post. It may be meant to be humorous and it is however it is also incredibly condescending and belittling to the new people it is targeted towards. Not to mention it breaks it's own rules on being off topic.

I would think the admins here would want to foster a more welcoming spirit to this Forum. I have seen way too many forums die from the attitude of if you have less than x amount of posts next to your name anything you have to say has little if any value at all. It isn't how everyone behaves but it is a sentiment that creeps up now and again and a few so called experienced bitter posters seem to think their longevity means their opinion has more weight. This attitude causes forums to die off because there is no new thought no new opinions just all you vets mentally jacking each other off over and over.

If someone isn't posting properly it is the Admins and the experienced posters responsibility to educate that new user in a helpful manner. Don't get me wrong for the most part this happens but all it takes is one ass to ruin someones 1st impression of this place.

I would think you all believe this is a community that should foster some good will towards each other since we all, minus a few twisted souls, are here in common as Devil fans. But belittling people is just wrong and unfair.

I am sure this post wasn't intended to incite such a reaction but I tend to look at things from many different angles. And I wanted to mention some of these things because I have grown tired of reading postings with such negative sentiments.

he's got a bit of a point

maybe its time for a FAQs/read here first kinda thing that a LOT of forums do have

I admit... no one reads them

but keep it short and simple, and maybe it gets the point across nicer

but in all the time I've been here (not meant at all of them)... the level of moron noobs walking in the door has been rather high

but the stupidity level from the vets of the place has gotten bad too... people treated July 1st like the whole country got bombed and millions of people were killed :P

I agree for the most part, the hostility towards new posters is stupid especially given the fact that it's not even hockey season. I think all the vets are just jumpy because they feel like they went on an emotional roller coaster ride with the souray near signing and are annoyed at the constant rumor mongering.

Well that video is no worse than some of the threads that have been posted of late. Like having a what ever happened to Grant Marshall thread get created when there was already a topic about him getting signed. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to just look at the front page before creating a new thread.

Also getting threads with stupid rumors like Lou is going to trade Gionta for *insert sh!tty defenceman here* is something we don't need here either.

I would rather have quality posters over just a bunch of new idiotic posters any day. This board will be just find without the idiots posting.

Edited by Satans Hockey

*sigh*

These things happen in waves. I think the locked thread isn't all that necessary. It's funny, but I don't think it'll do anything but offend new posters.

If people don't reply to the stupidity (I admit, I have replied to stuff in the past, but out of the sheer ridiculousness of the whole thing), then the posters will eventually stop posting bad threads. A small FAQ or something WOULD be nice -- sticky something just saying "hey, take a quick look at the forum, if something has already been posted, don't post a new thread on it." Seriously, crap like "GRANT MARSHALL RE-SIGNED!" and then "What happened to Grant Marshall?" within minutes of one another is either trying to look like an idiot, or padding post total.

One of the reasons this board is so great is because of its organization. I'd like to think I did play a role in how the board got to be nice and clean, but that's besides the point. Lately, there is so much clutter and crap around, it's annoying to sift through all the re-posts and useless threads finding the decent threads. Then again, it is summer -- people have nothing better to talk about on the boards I suppose. Regardless, it should really be better managed than this, IMO. It should be noted, though, that most of the annoyingness IS coming from new posters.

The doom and gloom happens all the time CRASHER, no point in really calling it out now. You know the same posts will be happening two weeks into the season if, God forbid, the Devils don't go 9-0 on their road trip opener. Same thing will also happen if, God forbid, the Devils are in first place yet still don't make a blockbuster trade at the deadline. It just happens.

but you are more likely to have an intelligent well thought out poser say fvck this sh!t and go elsewhere while the trolling moron will spread his stupid REGARDLESS.... so all you are doing is making the good poster go elsewhere... yes remember YOU TOO were new here once also!!

God I hate being the wise one :P

PS... fine has an e not a d ;)

The doom and gloom happens all the time CRASHER, no point in really calling it out now. You know the same posts will be happening two weeks into the season if, God forbid, the Devils don't go 9-0 on their road trip opener. Same thing will also happen if, God forbid, the Devils are in first place yet still don't make a blockbuster trade at the deadline. It just happens.

One of the main reasons I enjoy this place is because it's not like other forums with a bunch of immature 15-year olds polluting the site with stupid posts, but over the past week or two that is starting to disappear. I don't understand why this happened so suddenly, maybe a big group of friends all just decided to join this site together or something, but either way it is very frustrating so there should definitely be something the new posters have to read.

The video made me laugh and I can understand why it was posted, but it does seem kind of disrespectful.

If someone isn't posting properly it is the Admins and the experienced posters responsibility to educate that new user in a helpful manner. Don't get me wrong for the most part this happens but all it takes is one ass to ruin someones 1st impression of this place.

If it was just one or two people, you'd have a valid point. However, as CRASHER points out:

but in all the time I've been here (not meant at all of them)... the level of moron noobs walking in the door has been rather high

... and we've had a lot of new people lately. Obviously the intent is not to say that every new person who registers is an idiot, but never before has there been such an influx of people who act like they've never seen a message board or a hockey game before in such a short period of time. The blanket approach is intended to catch as many people as possible in a reasonable amount of time. There's not enough time in the day to individually tutor every single lost soul in this latest bumper crop.

Perhaps when things cool down a bit, the admins will see fit to remove the post in question.

Edited by RowdyFan42

On a more serious note, when registering would it be possible to send in the confirmation email a series or guideline rules? Ya they won't get read by everyone but some people may pay attention. Then at least there would be a much more valid reason to come down on the people ignoring those guidelines.

I agree with all of you and thank you for the positive feedback. Of course the belligerent, abusive, or just plain stupid people is an exception. They should be removed and if it is a case of ignorance educated in proper forum etiquette.

I just have been enjoying this place off an on during the past year, however I first came here 4 or so years ago and was turned off by some certain personalities treatment of myself and others simply because of differing opinions. I had to stay away and from time to time I would lurk and read what I wanted but mostly just stuck to the news stories.

I have enjoyed my involvement here off an on this past year and just had to point out some things that are honestly making me question if I want to continue to.

I guess I'm a callous kind of person -- but if that post is offensive above and beyond all else to you... well, then maybe this isn't you're kind of board :noclue:

So pointing out behavior that is the social norm - that is a commonly understood considerate way to conduct yourself on a message board is a rude thing to do. Instead we should let people flouder and be hated and eventually picked on EN MASS as they are here on a regular basis - see stubbs -- see Anthony from Montreal --- THAT is the way to handle inconsiderate posters? I personally find THAT inconsiderate. Because when people post stupid socially UNAWARE posts they get ignored. then their feelings get hurt and they get RUDER and post more frequently with less and less relevance. Then they get singled out as an unaware socially retarded jerk off and attacked.

And you're offended by announcing in advance the accepted way to socialize here. The cultural norms are shared at the outset. Do you find etiquette books offensive as well? Tongue in cheek humor isn't really all that sophistocated and not really meant to be offensive.

This initial posts does EXACTLY what the post they are complaining about does but in what I find a for more hostile offensive pretentiously virtuous way. you are casting the exact same sort of judgement you claim to be offended by -- but you're far more serious about and you've singled out an individual as well.

My head is going to explode this makes me so SICK!!! It's so Fahrenheit 451. It's so intollerant and book burny :puke: :puke: :puke: AND IT'S NOT YOUR BOARD! WHo are you to pass judgement in a PRIVATE place you were allowed to come into. Where is your social grace you appear to be espoussing here? :argh::argh::argh:

I just don't like how if someone else makes an off topic or stupid post in hell, it gets deleted/moved...but its ok for a moderator or someone with like, over 5,000 posts to do whatever they please and its tolerated by everyone else. I mean even Satans' isn't complaining about this.

I think you're readin too much into this. I don't think this is at all about post count. I think this is all about posters (new or not so new) coming on here and posting ridiculous rumor after rumor. It was getting out of hand and if you notice, the moderator politely asked newcomers and oldcomers alike to follow some simple rules. Apparently some are slow learners, so he dealt with it in a humorous way. Has nothing to do with post count, but has everything to do with the sudden onslaught of new posts that are a bit out there.

I just don't like how if someone else makes an off topic or stupid post in hell, it gets deleted/moved...but its ok for a moderator or someone with like, over 5,000 posts to do whatever they please and its tolerated by everyone else. I mean even Satans' isn't complaining about this.

you're reading WAY too much into this

you weren't here when we were giving red sh!t about Friesen and he turns around and locked the NLD thread (now safely hidden in the adult room)... and he blew a gasket and locked NLD until he was traded...

or until that night and the posters revolted :P

you weren't here when we were giving red sh!t about Friesen and he turns around and locked the NLD thread (now safely hidden in the adult room)... and he blew a gasket and locked NLD until he was traded...

or until that night and the posters revolted :P

I never knew red was such a d!<k as to go and take out his frustration like that. :angry:

:mellow:

I can't do "whatever I please." I can only moderate stuff in Purgatory.

Your just mad I didn't like your bug thread. :P

Edited by Satans Hockey

I guess I'm a callous kind of person -- but if that post is offensive above and beyond all else to you... well, then maybe this isn't you're kind of board :noclue:

So pointing out behavior that is the social norm - that is a commonly understood considerate way to conduct yourself on a message board is a rude thing to do. Instead we should let people flouder and be hated and eventually picked on EN MASS as they are here on a regular basis - see stubbs -- see Anthony from Montreal --- THAT is the way to handle inconsiderate posters? I personally find THAT inconsiderate. Because when people post stupid socially UNAWARE posts they get ignored. then their feelings get hurt and they get RUDER and post more frequently with less and less relevance. Then they get singled out as an unaware socially retarded jerk off and attacked.

And you're offended by announcing in advance the accepted way to socialize here. The cultural norms are shared at the outset. Do you find etiquette books offensive as well? Tongue in cheek humor isn't really all that sophistocated and not really meant to be offensive.

This initial posts does EXACTLY what the post they are complaining about does but in what I find a for more hostile offensive pretentiously virtuous way. you are casting the exact same sort of judgement you claim to be offended by -- but you're far more serious about and you've singled out an individual as well.

My head is going to explode this makes me so SICK!!! It's so Fahrenheit 451. It's so intollerant and book burny :puke::puke::puke: AND IT'S NOT YOUR BOARD! WHo are you to pass judgement in a PRIVATE place you were allowed to come into. Where is your social grace you appear to be espoussing here? :argh::argh::argh: