Nashville Gets Another Goalie

sundstrom

Predators pick up Flaherty

TSN.ca Staff

3/9/2003

The Nashville Predators acquired goaltender Wade Flaherty from the Florida Panthers for defenseman Pascal Trepanier today.

Flaherty has posted a record of 27-55-9 with a 3.50 goals-against average in 119 NHL games over the past 12 seasons with San Jose, the New York Islanders, Tampa Bay and Florida.

The Terrace, British Columbia native has spent the majority of the 2002-03 season with Florida's

AHL affiliate, the San Antonio Rampage, recording a mark of 11-13-5 with a 2.88 GAA and a .914 save percentage in 30 appearances.

The 35-year-old netminder posted a career-high three shutouts and career-best 1.99 GAA with the Islanders in 1997-98. He notched a career-high in games played (24) in 1995-96 with San Jose, the season after he started four of the Sharks' seven games in the first round of the

Stanley Cup playoffs.

Originally drafted in the ninth round (181st overall) of the 1988 NHL Entry Draft by Buffalo, Flaherty was signed as a free agent by Florida on August 2, 2001.

Trepanier appeared in one game with Nashville before being reassigned to Milwaukee (AHL) on October 23. In 52 games with the Admirals, the Gaspe, Quebec native posted nine goals and 15 assists for 24 points

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good move for the Preds. They've used Jan Lasak as their backup, but a 23 year old kid like him should be playing alot more, not sitting the bench for every game over the past 2 months. Now they have a veteran who can step in if needed, and keep Lasak in Milwaukee.

I agree with Z-man. This move will enable the Preds to spell Vokoun if he needs a rest. He's basically been starting every game.

I can't remember the last time Vokoun did not start for them.

And the amazing thing is Vokoun's carrying them and not getting tired.

Must be because he's younger (26 B)).

Vokoun has played in about 39 of the last 40 games; I am not exaggerating. The amazing thing is he hasn't shown the wear and tear. I think the trade was more to get their younger goalie playing time on their farm team than to give Vokoun a rest. They literally can't sit him and he's been an iron man so far; might as well ride it out.