Decision Day for Ducks/Penner

MantaRay

It's decision day for Anaheim GM Brian Burke as the Ducks must inform the NHL if they will match the five-year, $21.25 million offer sheet tendered by the Edmonton Oilers for winger Dustin Penner.

If the Ducks decide to match, they would exceed the $50.3 million salary cap and be forced to trim some salary before the October 1 deadline. If the Ducks do not match, they will receive the Oilers' first-round pick, second-round pick and third-round pick as compensation.

In a poll on TSN.ca, 82% of users feel the Ducks should not match the offer and let Penner go to the Oilers.

Last season, Penner scoreed 29 goals and added 16 assists for 45 points in 82 games. In the Ducks run to the Stanley Cup, he scored three goals and added five assists for eight points in 21 playoff games.

"I have no problem with offer sheets, they are part of the CBA," Burke said on a conference call. "I think it's a tool certainly a team is entitled to use. My issue here is this is the second time this year in my opinion Edmonton have offered a grossly inflated salary for a player, and it impacts on all 30 teams and I think it's an act of desperation by a general manager who is fighting to keep his job."

Last month, the Oilers made a seven-year, $50 million offer for Buffalo Sabres restricted free agent Thomas Vanek. The Sabres matched the offer and then showed their displeasure with Lowe, saying it was an exercise in futility.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please say no, Brian Burke. Penner isn't worth that contract. Don't just blindly accept it on the basis of pride like the Buffalo GM did. Vanek is an amazing player, but isn't worth 7 mill at this point in his career. Should have taken the 4 1st round picks. While Penner's pick return isn't nearly as good as Vanek's would have been, it still makes sense to inject draft picks into a team that just won the cup.

Awaiting news... but I'm guessing (unfortunately) he'll accept the deal. We'll see, I guess. My opinion is LET edmonton overpay RFA players and see how they do in the long run. Even if ANA had all the cap space in the world they shouldn't accept this deal.

Well, Bertuzzi isn't worth his contract either, but that's a different discussion altogether. I don't think his signing really factors into this decision (beyond cap limitations).

This is about whether Burke is going to make a decision that is right for his team and right for the market (i.e. letting Penner walk), or if he is going to make a decision that is intended to stifle Kevin Lowe (.i.e. matching the offer). I really can't see how anyone would think paying Penner that much money could possibly be right for the Ducks in the long run, unless we all think he's going to develop into a 70 pt player, suddenly. But that's entirely speculation, and unwarranted since the guy is so young.

I'd respect Burke a lot if he lets Penner walk.

He's going to let penner walk. He doesn't really have a choice given the cap and the fact that he just signed bertuzzi with perry, ryan, and getzlaf in the fold. He'll be pissed about it obviously since he would have rather gotten Penner wrapped up for cheaper, but the Oilers made that option impossible.

Both Regier and Burke have win now mentalities - you cannot let a guy with Penner's skill set go, even though the Ducks have a ton of young players who fill the same role, Penner is probably the best of them at least as a pure goal scorer.

The Sabres did right to match Vanek - the Ducks have a tougher decision. Still, without Penner, Niedermayer, and Selanne, Anaheim would have a very difficult time repeating - and coming into the off-season, they looked like the team with the best shot to do it in a long time.

Both Regier and Burke have win now mentalities - you cannot let a guy with Penner's skill set go, even though the Ducks have a ton of young players who fill the same role, Penner is probably the best of them at least as a pure goal scorer.

The Sabres did right to match Vanek - the Ducks have a tougher decision. Still, without Penner, Niedermayer, and Selanne, Anaheim would have a very difficult time repeating - and coming into the off-season, they looked like the team with the best shot to do it in a long time.

I agree wholeheartedly with most of the posters so far. Burke is not going to be happy about this, but it was the right decision. Also, I honestly wonder what Ryan Smyth is thinking right about now - or Oiler fans for that matter. Man, Lowe better have a jewel in Penner because otherwise he's going to get run out of town. In fact, there aren't too many people in the universe who can say that they're almost universally hated by the collective populations of Edmonton, Buffalo and southern California all at the same time ...

this does open up the door by basically saying, "Hey all GMs, you CAN obtain players through this medium". Even if you have to overpay, it says it's possible, and that only means we will see more of this now. I am not saying a lot, but expect someone else besides lowe (or previously clarke) to be doing this in the next year.

this does open up the door by basically saying, "Hey all GMs, you CAN obtain players through this medium". Even if you have to overpay, it says it's possible, and that only means we will see more of this now. I am not saying a lot, but expect someone else besides lowe (or previously clarke) to be doing this in the next year.

Between Kessler last summer and the Vanek and Penner this year, we've seen more offer sheets in a two year period than we had previously seen in 9 years. I think the last major offer sheet before the new CBA was the one the Rangers offered Sakic. So yes, it certainly isn't taboo anymore to go after RFA's.

I don't see ANY responsible/smart GM's going this RFA offer sheet route, its even dumber that signing a high profile UFA.

Lets see Clarke open the door with Kessler and got fired.

Lowe did the other two and he has now overpaid his Penner and has thus damaged his salary cap, consequently the team he puts on the ice and lost some of his future. I don't see Lowe lasting the season with the foolish moves he has made so far this season.