Paul Martin re-signed!!

sean1827

I really dont see any risk in this deal. His performance keeps increasing so i dontsee him slowing down. He eats up alot of icetime without becoming vulnerable. I have no reports if the lockerroom likes him/dislikes him but he seems to be a quieter guy that they can obviously rely on.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if it doesn't increase at all the deal wouldn't be that bad. Any contract that is signed carries some sort of risk but this contract, to me, carries a low amount of risk to it.

I completely agree with you. In my post I was saying to 'SteveStevens' that it is not a given that Martin's performance will continue to increase every year. In my opinion, even if Martin doesn't get any better, the contract is not that bad, which is in agreement with what you said.

Nice contract for both.

For Devils, they keep a home-grown talent who is more than capable of playing a ton of time and a solid D.

For Martin, the structuring shows that the Devils believe that he will improve each year ... so his salary goes up. And gives him a nice paycheck in the last year and a nice number to go into UFA with or sign a longer term deal with.

Length is nice. If Martin turns into a solid #1 D in three years, the Devils work to extend his contract. If he's a bust, you either trade him in the final year or let him walk.

Interesting to see a lot of discussion as to whether this is a risk or whether it was too much.

Let me add this to the mix:

Lou might have been rewarding Martin for his loyalty --- coming to camp last year with no contract as Lou worked out his cap problems; choosing not to go to arbitration after a $2M offer sheet.

There is no way to know if Martin will continue to improve ... but from Martin's comments in the media about Sutter and accountability as well as his comments about Robinson, it sounds like A. he knows he needs to improve and B. he is planning on working to improve and expects to be held accountable for his play. Admitting that, for me, is half the battle and worth the risk.

As for the removal of his name from the roster, it could be something that occurs when a contract is going through the NHL office or the web masters are idiots or ....