Paul Martin re-signed!!

sean1827

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Oduya is nowhere near as good as Martin already is and they are at similar points to their career.

It's obvious you're not going to change your mind but I think it's incredibly short sighted if you want the Devils to sign players based on what they did last season and not try to project their future.

No one is saying Martin will be some 'magical player'. The point is that the 07-08 UFA class has almost no good defensemen. It will be Wade Redden, Michael Roszival, Brian Campbell, and Dan Boyle. Odds are two of these guys will sign before July 1, 2008. Paul Martin would be the 5th best defender available and as such would stand to make at least 4 million, probably 5 million, on the open market.

And I think its incredibly short sighted if you think players who have amazing seasons dont deserve to be rewarded because they are now "on the decline". Its a healthy mix of both factors but I feel as if the "proven themselves" factor has totally been skipped.

I think Martin will get $3.5 a year for 4 years. Of course i wouldn't shed a tear to see him shipped out as part of a package for let's say Marleau and a prospect (Wishart perhaps) :clap:

I can dream, to see one of my favorite players in the nhl (Marleau) play on my favorite team would be great!

:gd:

DEVILS FAN FOR LIFE, DEATH TO LEAF NATION!

Edited by Devil in Leaf Nation

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-d...p&type=lgns

Martin will earn $3 million this season, $4 million in 2008 and $4.5 million in 2009.

Defenseman Paul Martin staying with Devils

August 16, 2007

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- The New Jersey Devils kept a major piece of their defense together, signing Paul Martin to a three-year, $11.5 million contract on Thursday.

Martin will earn $3 million this season, $4 million in 2008 and $4.5 million in 2009.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Paul Martin is an all-situations type of defenseman, and has developed into one of the more talented young players in the National Hockey League," Devils chief executive Lou Lamoriello said.

Since losing veteran Brian Rafalski -- their best defenseman -- to free agency, the Devils have re-signed Martin and Johnny Oduya and signed Karel Rachunek and Vitali Vishnevski.

With the departure of Rafalski, Martin is prepared to assume a bigger leadership role.

"As a player, you always want to step in and take over that role," he said.

Martin had three goals and 23 assists last season while playing in all 82 regular-season games. He added four assists in 11 playoff games.

The 26-year-old defenseman has 14 goals and 73 assists in 232 games.

Martin said he had a short chat with new coach Brent Sutter last month.

"The Sutter name has a lot of tradition in hockey and a reputation for making sure you are accountable as a player," Martin said. "It will be good to get us back on track, and I'm looking forward to it."

Martin is also pleased that Sutter hired Larry Robinson as an assistant coach.

"Having him back behind the bench would be beneficial," Martin said of Robinson, the former Devils head coach who led them to a Stanley Cup title in 2000.

Heh, don't all those guys who said Martin doesn't deserve $4mil a year feel like idiots. This really is the best way to structure a contract, by giving the player what the GM thinks he'll be worth each year instead of one set amount each year.

Me likey. Hopefully Paul will play to a level that's more than his contract is worth and become one of the elite d-men in the league.

As for next summer, if Corrente isn't ready yet I think Lou lets go of some combination of Oduya, Matvichuk, Rachunek and we end up going after a big name like Wade Redden.

Edited by empulse27

As long as Paul Martin gets better each year than this contract is ok with me. If he gets worse every year this contract sucks. But that's the gamble you have to take sometimes.

I'm happy cause I have always liked Martin and I have his jersey, so at least I can use that for a few more seasons.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Heh, don't all those guys who said Martin doesn't deserve $4mil a year feel like idiots. This really is the best way to structure a contract, by giving the player what the GM thinks he'll be worth each year instead of one set amount each year.

Me likey. Hopefully Paul will play to a level that's more than his contract is worth and become one of the elite d-men in the league.

As for next summer, if Corrente isn't ready yet I think Lou lets go of some combination of Oduya, Matvichuk, Rachunek and we end up going after a big name like Wade Redden.

I dont feel like an idiot at all because he could have very well asked for 4 and not went down. How his contract is it shows hes worth 4 mil. Because Parise gets paid 2.5 (i think thats the number) next year, and could have easily asked for 4, his worth is the same as every player worth 2.5 million? The numbers go up every season cashwise so hes showing them the potential and worth of each player.

Man msweet always seems to come up with the Freshest news. Real baller.

love the contract/love paul martin. I just see martin as a solid defenseman who does not make many mistakes. Looking at his pt. numbers is very misleading...the key thing is his minutes he eats up and eats up solidly. Also i expect him to take more chances offensively as his confidence continues to grow. I really find it hard to argue with a contract that has an escalating salary for a player that is escalating into the prime years of his career.

I like how we should be throwing a ton of money at players who "should get better" instead of players who have earned it. Same argument with parise.. they both have done next to nothing for this club other then show potential and people want to throw around these inflated contracts that are going to hamstring us in a few years when the cap doesnt continue to increase.

They are both good young players but until they have actually lived up to their potential i see no reason to pay them as such. 3-4m is a total joke and based on what parise got (all salaries are comparisons, leave that argument at the door) and other defensemen his age and talent level I bet its around 3m when he never really earned the 2m he made last year.

But the market isn't like that right now away. Look at Dustin Penner.

I really like the deals for Parise and Martin. Not because of what they're getting, but because of what other players are getting who have the same youth + potential as Martin and Parise.

I hope his contract ends up looking like a steal in several years, but I find the notion that we are supposed to just ante up and pay medium length high end contracts for on the chance that they will be great just a little upsetting.

Just one more thing to add... if Lou doesn't do that, someone else will. And you just can't lose all your players to other teams. You have to trust your farm system and believe in the guys you have. That's really how teams will become successful in the new NHL, because anyone can unload tons of money on a couple of superstars. It's the teams that build from within, and pay their own (maybe a little bit more than they should get - but in turn it might be a lot less than they could get) guys to step up.