Doubt hovers as Devils drop again

SC Devs Fan

Four years ago, people were scared to come and play NJ. We had a defense that pushed people out of in front of the net. We haven't had that kind of defense since Stevens left. Why do you think Brodeur got run so much last year. Nobody aside from a few, stick up for anybody anymore like the Stevens/Danyeko era. Nobody wants to be "in charge".

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Devils assembled the most talented team of the last 20 years between 1999 and 2001. For them not to win a Stanley Cup would've been a tremendous blow. 2003 was one of the luckier postseason runs - the Devils played well to be sure, but won by very close margins against both Anaheim and Ottawa, and never had to face a team that was big up front.

I haven't agreed with how Sutter is running the team right now (calling out in the press, holding the whip every game), but he's still the coach of the present and future, and I like the system. There's a lot of new faces; give it some time.

'03 was one of the luckiest post season run ever? what was so lucky about it? what teams were "big" upfront that we could have face to proven we were better? '03 imo was a very well earned cup the team played with a good mix of heart and skill and never say die attitude. I thought that was one of our more impressive teams to take the ice,.

I'm not ready to give up on sutter, I just dont like this system he is force feeding the players and Im willing to give him about15 games before I start calling for his head (yeah i know, who cares, but thats my threshold)

Honestly, the bad start doesn't bother me a whole lot because I have such low expectations for this team. I don't even expect them to make the playoffs. What I'm rooting for is individual improvement for the young players (and the emergence of a good defenseman from minors/juniors would be very nice, but it doesn't look all that promising). If they make the playoffs, great. I would love to be surprised. But I'm not expecting much. We're just not that good, and hard work will only take you so far.

And that is why if this team doesn't have the won-loss record we all would like, Sutter should not be fired based on that. He may deserve a firing for different reasons, but not won-loss, at least not this year. I just don't think that's realistic. I'm sure many may disagree.

where was the creativity in the devils scoring last year? didn't we just about score as many goals as we gave up? didn't elias/gomez/gionta have what can only be described as off years? sutters system isn't the problem as much as it is our penalty killing and our very mediocre defense. we don't have a 1st or 2nd defenseman playing right now. even if we went back to our old style, i don't think this team would be fairing any better.

As for Manta, what I like about it is the aggressiveness. The problem is, the team's penalty killing has been so abysmal that they can't afford to take aggressive penalties, which is a shame - part of this system is taking those kinds of penalties. The Devils aren't getting to rebounds, which is the main problem - the first shots they're taking aren't bad.

Because the team played the first nine games on the road? Because there's not a tremendous amount of offensive talent on the team to begin with? Because the Devils are getting some bad luck along with their poor play? All sorts of reasons. The Devils won't be #27 all year.

As for the aggressiveness, it is difficult to be aggressive when the refs are calling BS penalties on you every time you try (Clarkson). Furthermore, it's tougher to play aggressive when every power play against seems to end up in the back of the net. The Devils cannot afford dumb penalties at all.

I am reading this correctly? The reasons we aren't winning is because we aren't allowed to win on the road and bad luck?

The Devils are typically the most disciplined team in the league and not taking bad penalties was a way of life on the team. This year, however the players are not disciplined, and at times seem to be sleep walking through shifts, which would NEVER happen under Burns, Jacques, CJ, Lou or even Constantine.

I am reading this correctly? The reasons we aren't winning is because we aren't allowed to win on the road and bad luck?

The Devils are typically the most disciplined team in the league and not taking bad penalties was a way of life on the team. This year, however the players are not disciplined, and at times seem to be sleep walking through shifts, which would NEVER happen under Burns, Jacques, CJ, Lou or even Constantine.

I don't consider 2nd round exits in the playoffs getting "whupped". some of us were happy with the consistent high level of success the devils put out every year. Every year we were contending for the cup, and disappointed when we didn't win it, but we were there every year.

Actually that would be luck. A team that was really good would just lead the game, they wouldn't end up getting points out of lots of games with the goalie pulled. That happening was commonplace last year and that is not normal, it's lucky.

Lets not forget all those points Victor got us the one year

Just for all the people claiming we aren't even close to last year...

This season, after 10 games... 3-6-1. 22 gf, 34 ga.

Last season, after 10 games... 5-4-1. 27 gf, 33 ga.

We really are NOT that far off. Especially when you consider all of the changes from last season. 5 less goals for, and 1 more goal against. Of course, I wouldn't Devils fans were happy at this point last year, either. Lets see how everyone's feeling in January.

And I know every season is not a carbon copy of the last. It's just an example that the first few months do not make the season.

Could be worse. Could be the Jets. :angry:

My logic here is saying that teams go through bad stretches and that doesn't make them a bad team.

Every team has a bad stretch during the season, there is no immunity from that.

But there is a difference between teams having a bad stretch, but still playing hard and a team that looks lost, has no chemistry and are too afraid to make a mistake on the ice which is the current state of the NJ Devils.