GDT: NJD vs. NYR, The "I'll See You in Newark" Edition

Devilsdude530

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I feel compelled to point out that football is your first love, it's a little easier for you to say that and show perspective than say someone that's a hockey fan first like a lot of people here.

Personally I like all my teams about equally though it's a bit easier to get attached to the Devils and Mets simply because there are more games. Hard to get attached to the Jets when half the time they're playing meaningless games by November so you really only watch six or seven games with interest :P

For me I can accept all that, although I still think it's too early to say it's the end of the era yet. I just wish it's not going to be this year since I probably won't be going to as many games again the next couple years.

See I disagree with that though

I didn't write Cowboy recaps for 12 years after all... I don't play quarterback twice a week and my apartment is filled with WAY more Devils Stuffs then Cowboys stuffs and I own more Devil jerseys then Cowboys jerseys... the perception is different because football only plays 16 games, the GAMES MEAN MORE so I get more wrapped up in them... I've never had a happy emotional breakdown over a Cowboy Super Bowl (though I reserve the right to do so this year).. I remember well being on the phone with Paige bawling my beady eyes out mid June 2003 in my old seat in 222.. I go home every night and watch as many Center Ice games as anyone... but I treat the NHL Season as more of the marathon then it is rather then the crazy weekly sprint that football season is (and you would too if you had hot bartenders giving you free shots by the BUCKET :uni: )

I go out and play hockey as much as I can.... I watch crappy Ducks-Kings games till 2am cause it's HOCKEY

I Stay up and watch 5 OT Playoff games because it's fvcking PLAYOFF OVERTIME!!

But I also think seeing my other team suck and come back as it is now is giving me that perspective on how good we've had it here... and I don't know if an era is dead but this team needs WORK!

That might not be a bad thing... weed out some of the insanity :P

This team could still make the playoffs, but I ain't holding my asthmatic breath!

So how about fleecing the Stars out of Modano and Boucher?? :lol:

We were joking about how teams can fleece Hull in the next month... and I'd love Boucher here and the guy who pays me said what about Modano and I mentioned... hrmm... Elias-Modano and Gionta is a pretty sick second line ain't it??

Let me start it now...

E2.... Modano and Boucher for Zubris, Andy Greene and a #1 pick!!! :lol:

We were joking about how teams can fleece Hull in the next month... and I'd love Boucher here and the guy who pays me said what about Modano and I mentioned... hrmm... Elias-Modano and Gionta is a pretty sick second line ain't it??

Let me start it now...

E2.... Modano and Boucher for Zubris, Andy Greene and a #1 pick!!! :lol:

I'm a little late with this, I was at Maserati all day.

I don't like the fact that they lost to the Rangers (I never like losing to the Rangers) but I really don't like the fact that the team appeared to lose interest and stop skating after the first 5 minutes and didn't re-surface and try again until the last 10-11 minutes of the game, when it was too late. I've said it before. It's not so much that they lose (even to the Rangers), it's when they don't try. Because we know they aren't a great team.

About 3 players bothered to try for all of their shifts. It wasn't even a case of players taking one shift off or something. They stopped trying for most of the game. As others have pointed out, Langenbrunner, Parise and Oduya are about the only ones who gave consistent efforts. And, for those who say it didn't matter that Marty let in two soft ones - think about this - if he had managed to stop the two he should have had, even with that abysmal, and it was abysmal, effort, the game probably would have been tied. Tied. So yes, this one is on him just as much as the rest of the sleep-skating multitudes in front of him.

I would say that the officiating wasn't great, but did it matter, because, would NJ have bothered to do anything if they weren't being penalized? Were the players really moving much faster when they were on the ice than when they were sitting in the penalty box? Honestly, were they? And, they got a decent number of PPs and could even manage to get offensive pressure. Often, they could barely manage to get the puck in the offensive zone. If they did, they had to dump it in and it came right back out again. They just didn't care enough to try.

I've said before this year that it it wouldn't be the worst thing if they have a bad year and get a lottery pick. I'm beginning to believe that the team is really headed that way, not just because they are not good enough. Because they just don't care. I really thought they were just not good enough, that there wasn't enough there to make the playoffs and that was it. But there just isn't an excuse for taking 2+ periods off.

I'm a little late with this, I was at Maserati all day.

I don't like the fact that they lost to the Rangers (I never like losing to the Rangers) but I really don't like the fact that the team appeared to lose interest and stop skating after the first 5 minutes and didn't re-surface and try again until the last 10-11 minutes of the game, when it was too late. I've said it before. It's not so much that they lose (even to the Rangers), it's when they don't try. Because we know they aren't a great team.

About 3 players bothered to try for all of their shifts. It wasn't even a case of players taking one shift off or something. They stopped trying for most of the game. As others have pointed out, Langenbrunner, Parise and Oduya are about the only ones who gave consistent efforts. And, for those who say it didn't matter that Marty let in two soft ones - think about this - if he had managed to stop the two he should have had, even with that abysmal, and it was abysmal, effort, the game probably would have been tied. Tied. So yes, this one is on him just as much as the rest of the sleep-skating multitudes in front of him.

I would say that the officiating wasn't great, but did it matter, because, would NJ have bothered to do anything if they weren't being penalized? Were the players really moving much faster when they were on the ice than when they were sitting in the penalty box? Honestly, were they? And, they got a decent number of PPs and could even manage to get offensive pressure. Often, they could barely manage to get the puck in the offensive zone. If they did, they had to dump it in and it came right back out again. They just didn't care enough to try.

I've said before this year that it it wouldn't be the worst thing if they have a bad year and get a lottery pick. I'm beginning to believe that the team is really headed that way, not just because they are not good enough. Because they just don't care. I really thought they were just not good enough, that there wasn't enough there to make the playoffs and that was it. But there just isn't an excuse for taking 2+ periods off.

Hmmmmm.....

SueNJ97: I agree with the fact that a lottery pick wouldn't be that bad....if it has to go that way.

but...

Thinking from a different angle:

Do you think that the organization is prepared to offer "A LOTTERY PICK" as reasonable bait for those high-priced tickets for a seat at the Rock? Will people pay that price for a team hunting for a Lottery Pick? Will they have to make a move to be somewhat competitive RIGHT NOW to show the potential hockey fan ticket-buying crowd that there is a reason to come to Newark in this crucial first year of a new home?

Not Sure:

Curious.....

Hmmmmm.....

SueNJ97: I agree with the fact that a lottery pick wouldn't be that bad....if it has to go that way.

but...

Thinking from a different angle:

Do you think that the organization is prepared to offer "A LOTTERY PICK" as reasonable bait for those high-priced tickets for a seat at the Rock? Will people pay that price for a team hunting for a Lottery Pick? Will they have to make a move to be somewhat competitive RIGHT NOW to show the potential hockey fan ticket-buying crowd that there is a reason to come to Newark in this crucial first year of a new home?

Not Sure:

Curious.....