What I want to see

NJDevs4978

All of you that were calling for the coach to be fired last year before Thanksgiving and when the team was in first place and actually WINNING games now call for the coach to be fired this year when we're losing games. Winning was no longer good enough last year so why should actually losing games be tolerable?

I have my doubts about Sutter (number one the merry-go-round lines) but I don't want him fired personally. I'm tired of Lou going through coaches like Kleenex. But that said, even Julien for whatever issues he had didn't lose the team as fast as Sutter is this year.

And BY THE WAY...9-6-2 in Boston with a team that I don't think is very good. And as we can see not all the offensive struggles last year were his doing since they're ten times WORSE this year offensively with the supposed wide open system.

Edited by Hasan4978

Well that was a disappointing post.

Based on the thread title, I assumed, wrongly, that Hasan was going to tell us what he wanted to see...

Instead we go him not-so-subtle insinuating that we should have stuck with Julien and those people in Montreal that will boo Lou when he presents Larry's retirement number are correct in their condemnation.

Where's their Brodeur? TIM THOMAS is among the league leaders in goaltending :rofl: Where's their Parise or Elias? Other than eh, Marc Savard and Bergeron what do they have offensively? Glen Murray, please. Chara hasn't even been as good as he was in Ottawa.

Don I was just annoyed at the hair-trigger mentality of not only the board but Lou himself last year, it's only fair to hear more whining about the coaching this year when we're losing. Winning was no longer enough last year. I was no Julien lover but cripes, he deserved at least ONE full season.

And screw the Montreal fans, their organization fired him before the end of a season too, let them boo themselves. Why should they care what we do?

Edited by Hasan4978

Well teams do need to adjust to new coaches and systems.

Julien's ass has been saved in Boston by Tim Thomas' MVP-esque play.

And line juggling is frustrating, but so is a lack of offense.

May I point out to all Devils fans the record of last season's Sens team at this time. I saw them on December 23rd and had all but written them off as a serious contender.

True, there is no Alfie-Spezza-Heatley line on the Devils, but as long as you have Marty, you're a contender for the top 8 at least.

I'm a firm believer that teams are better off getting hot late rather than early.

I realize it's frustrating, but it isn't yet Thanksgiving. Keep up hope, at least minimally so.

I agree with the fact that Lou acted way too quickly to fire Julien but I would also think that it had a lot to do with the hiring of Sutter...from the past rumors Brent was someone Lou wanted anyway so Julien was a simple stop gap...as absurd as it was to fire Julien when he did it would have been even more so to do it after a 1 and out or possibly better playoff run....if anyone thinks it really had to do with "seeing something everyone else didn't see" then you must've seen something I didn't....but I think this will be a long haul type of deal with Sutter...Lou finally has his man and I'm sure he's going to stick with it....be it bad or good...

I agree with the fact that Lou acted way too quickly to fire Julien but I would also think that it had a lot to do with the hiring of Sutter...from the past rumors Brent was someone Lou wanted anyway so Julien was a simple stop gap...as absurd as it was to fire Julien when he did it would have been even more so to do it after a 1 and out or possibly better playoff run....if anyone thinks it really had to do with "seeing something everyone else didn't see" then you must've seen something I didn't....but I think this will be a long haul type of deal with Sutter...Lou finally has his man and I'm sure he's going to stick with it....be it bad or good...

Agreed I think Lou was displeased with the team last year and saw that Sutter would be available in the summer figured to make a change then instead of risking a long playoff run and being stuck with Julien. I laughed when Ron MacLean on Hockey Night in Canada said that during the Tampa series last year but in retrospect it seems like Lou wanted Sutter and that's why Julien was let go last year. I agree this will be a coach for the long hall and will be given 2 years minimum.

All of you that were calling for the coach to be fired last year before Thanksgiving and when the team was in first place and actually WINNING games now call for the coach to be fired this year when we're losing games. Winning was no longer good enough last year so why should actually losing games be tolerable?

I have my doubts about Sutter (number one the merry-go-round lines) but I don't want him fired personally. I'm tired of Lou going through coaches like Kleenex. But that said, even Julien for whatever issues he had didn't lose the team as fast as Sutter is this year.

And BY THE WAY...9-6-2 in Boston with a team that I don't think is very good. And as we can see not all the offensive struggles last year were his doing since they're ten times WORSE this year offensively with the supposed wide open system.

I don't think Sutter's lost anything. You understand that Brent Sutter is taking over a team which for the last two games is missing 4 of the Devils' top 6 defensemen from last season?

There's a leadership void. I think it will be filled. I don't think this team is content to lose. You'll see it in the coming weeks.

I don't think Sutter's lost anything. You understand that Brent Sutter is taking over a team which for the last two games is missing 4 of the Devils' top 6 defensemen from last season?

There's a leadership void. I think it will be filled. I don't think this team is content to lose. You'll see it in the coming weeks.

See thats the part that has been the most frustrating with this team, they look like they are content to lose, well at least to me. It's like you can literally see this team just give up once things get tough and the other team scores or takes a lead. Just compare the last Ranger game to the shoot out Ranger game. The shoot out loss didn't bother me cause the Devils left it all on the ice and they need more of that. Can't say the same about the last couple of games

I know there have been some injuries and having your top 2 d-man out of the line up when the rest of the group is mediocre is a tough hand to be dealt, but they look like push overs out there most of the time. The team just looks outclassed to much of the time and despite their deficiencies, there are still some good talented players on this team.

The Devils have just become to fvcking easy to beat and it's so damn frustrating. Losing is one thing but it seems like most teams just throw it down on the Devils and they barely look like they are breaking a sweat doing it. Shut out 3 times on home ice already?

You just wish somebody on the team would take the bull by the horns and put the team on their back and run with it. Thats what I want to see. Fat chance it's gonna happen though. To many passengers on this team for that to happen.

Edited by SickMan

See thats the part that has been the most frustrating with this team, they look like they are content to lose, well at least to me. It's like you can literally see this team just give up once things get tough and the other team scores or takes a lead. Just compare the last Ranger game to the shoot out Ranger game. The shoot out loss didn't bother me cause the Devils left it all on the ice and they need more of that. Can't say the same about the last couple of games

I know there have been some injuries and having your top 2 d-man out of the line up when the rest of the group is mediocre is a tough hand to be dealt, but they look like push overs out there most of the time. The team just looks outclassed to much of the time and despite their deficiencies, there are still some good talented players on this team.

The Devils have just become to fvcking easy to beat and it's so damn frustrating. Losing is one thing but it seems like most teams just throw it down on the Devils and they barely look like they are breaking a sweat doing it. Shut out 3 times on home ice already?

You just wish somebody on the team would take the bull by the horns and put the team on their back and run with it. Thats what I want to see. Fat chance it's gonna happen though. To many passengers on this team for that to happen.

I agree - it looked like Elias was that guy tonight. He was out there making things happen. And again, there's a few guys on this team who are merely trying to hold their spot in the NHL - they can't be concerned whether or not the team wins.

I am not waiting for White to come back - who knows what he will be when he returns. I'm waiting for a Mr. Cam Janssen. This team needed him last year in the playoffs, and now they need him again.

I agree - it looked like Elias was that guy tonight. He was out there making things happen. And again, there's a few guys on this team who are merely trying to hold their spot in the NHL - they can't be concerned whether or not the team wins.

I am not waiting for White to come back - who knows what he will be when he returns. I'm waiting for a Mr. Cam Janssen. This team needed him last year in the playoffs, and now they need him again.

I think the Devils are playing to soft where is the heavy hitting Devils? What I saw tonight was a team not being aggressive and waiting for a break that never came, instead of making something happen.

I think the Devils are playing to soft where is the heavy hitting Devils? What I saw tonight was a team not being aggressive and waiting for a break that never came, instead of making something happen.

the coach has the whip cranked up so hard and too fast at this point I think players might be genuinely afraid of screwing up and eating a plate of wrath... not a good way to play hockey :P

You make a good point about Janssen. It's odd to think that he could possibly be a catalyst for this team but maybe he is exactly what they need. He might not be the most talented player on the ice but he goes all out on every shift he plays.

I just think the lack of talent, injuries and new system are exactly what they sound like, excuses. I'm not expecting these guys to be world beaters but I really feel they should be better then what they have shown. Just way to many "spurts". They play well sometimes for sure, but they have seemed uninspired way too often.

Maybe it's my blind faith in these guys, I don't know, but I just think they could do better. The only way things are going to get better if they have to make do with what they have is if they play with more intensity. What happened to that big physical team we were promised. They barely hit anybody out there. It's way to easy to play against us right now.

I would normally consider tomorrow one of those turning point games but in the end I don't think it is really gonna matter. I just can't see them responding to anything these days.

I agree they need to be more physical. People around me as well as me and my family were screaming for them to hit someone! I think they made life too easy for the Isles.

I most definitely think they can play better. If they could string together even a few wins, it could really turn things around.

You make a good point about Janssen. It's odd to think that he could possibly be a catalyst for this team but maybe he is exactly what they need. He might not be the most talented player on the ice but he goes all out on every shift he plays.

I just think the lack of talent, injuries and new system are exactly what they sound like, excuses. I'm not expecting these guys to be world beaters but I really feel they should be better then what they have shown. Just way to many "spurts". They play well sometimes for sure, but they have seemed uninspired way too often.

Maybe it's my blind faith in these guys, I don't know, but I just think they could do better. The only way things are going to get better if they have to make do with what they have is if they play with more intensity. What happened to that big physical team we were promised. They barely hit anybody out there. It's way to easy to play against us right now.

I would normally consider tomorrow one of those turning point games but in the end I don't think it is really gonna matter. I just can't see them responding to anything these days.

No, they certainly can and will do better. Elias is on pace for 15 goals, Gionta the same. They *will* get better. The question is will the defense get worse to compensate for that.

It's just so hard to tell whether it's legitimately players taking shifts off, or simply the difficulty of playing with new linemates, new players, and always in your own end.

Physical play is difficult when you are struggling to hold your position. It's tough to hit guys when you don't know if your D partner will be in position. It's tough to hit guys when you don't know if the other 4 guys on your ice have your back. The team is playing tentative. But I liked what I saw out of the power play tonight and I see improvement coming. This was a winnable game - we just didn't win it. The Rangers game was not like that.

You understand we lost 1-0 last night? The lack of defensemen (even with Mottau's gaffe) is not the issue when you give up ONE GOAL AND STILL LOSE :doh1: This team has just had no emotion in near must-wins and rivalry games the last two nights, that's damn alarming.

No, they certainly can and will do better. Elias is on pace for 15 goals, Gionta the same. They *will* get better. The question is will the defense get worse to compensate for that.

I have more faith in Gionta than Elias turning it around at this point. At least Gionta was on pace for 30 goals last year and was good in the playoffs. Elias is turning into a Kariya-like player, he'll get his share of assists - provided he plays with people that can actually score - but probably not the goals he used to.

And fwiw this team needs Colin White five times more than Cam. There are guys on the roster that are supposed to bring the energy Cam brings, fight and actually play a few minutes of hockey too (Rupp, Asham, Clarkson), where have THEY been the last couple games?! Well other than Clarkson who was foolishly scratched for one game and did try to bring some emotion last night.

Edited by Hasan4978

but what does Has want to see?

I want to see Sutter take control. He started out that way and broke the team -- which I think was a good thing.. now even if he has to treat them like juniors he's got to put them together again. i think some IDIOT did tell him to lighten up and respect history - that that's how the team works. but not THIS team. this is a blank slate and someone has to start writing something on it!

Langenbrunner was physical - he was the only guy I saw actually engaging the other team instead of holing up in this wee mind trying to figure out what to do -- not really being in the game -- engaged int eh game... that goes for Elias -- i was not so impressed as you all -- maybe because I was looking at the whole ice and not select screen captures.

It's damm near an apologetic. "Excuse me we're just trying to get something going here" " .. oooh sorry just can you give me some space here so i can control the puck?" " -- OOPS sorry! i was trying to send that to my own guy there" ... WTF????