Kevin Weekes

HellOnICE

We've said it for years, but Weeksie needs to get in some games already. This is becoming ridiclous. I'd like to see him in nets the following game through february...

1/5 vs. Boston

1/18 vs. Florida

2/2 vs. LA

2/15 vs. ATL

2/24 or 29 vs. Washington

The chances of this happening?

maybe a pipe dream....

i would like to win all those games

Great, nifty!

We CAN win some of these games with Weekes

I'd be TICKLED PINK to not have a tired and burnt out Brodeur AGAIN in May when we need him the MOST

Ya think we can swing BOTH ?? :rolleyes:

Great, nifty!

We CAN win some of these games with Weekes

I'd be TICKLED PINK to not have a tired and burnt out Brodeur AGAIN in May when we need him the MOST

Ya think we can swing BOTH ?? :rolleyes:

Weekes is the best backup goalie we've had for years, and we should take advantage of it, regardless of how much Marty tries convincing Sutter otherwise. This years team isn't nearly as good as our three cup winning teams (or the '01 team, which I still insist is the best team we've ever had), but I think we're good enough to contend for the cup if Marty is on top of his game and steals 2 series' against teams better than us.

Does anyone else remember the days of letting (Correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe it was) Mike Dunham go out there for a minute or two to get credit for a game played before inserting Marty. I think there was some contract stipulation that he needed 15 games or so, but I might be mistaken.

I think Weekes should be playing against one of the Western teams on the road (I think he should play against the Avs). As well, I would love to see Weekes play more a bit once the playoff spot is secured and the last game of the season should be given to him (unless that game decides a playoff berth, otherwise, he should play that game).

I don't know how much I buy into Marty was tired for the playoffs. He himself knows if he is tired, he'll sit if he needs to. The problem with Brodeur, in my opinion, wasn't fatigue. A guy like Zubrus who plays about 20 minutes a game and battles in the corners and skates up and down the ice is more liable to be fatigued than Brodeur who remains in one spot. The best way to rest Brodeur would be to rest him during practices. I think he'll be fine with a pre-game warm up by this point in his career. Just give him some more time off during practice and let him play as much as he wants. I think a focussed Brodeur is more important than a slightly more rested Brodeur.

I think a focussed Brodeur is more important than a slightly more rested Brodeur.

SJ, i think you're missing the point. Everyone here wants a focused brodeur. We're not arguing he should sit more down the stretch (as you point out, could be a bad thing). We want him to sit out a few games NOW and in the next two months so that he can be hitting his stride playing every game in the last month of the season. I'm not gonna say I know this from experience as a goalie but I can attest to a similar effect as a pitcher. Sitting out two games a month will not make him rusty.

While I think Sutter trusts his veterans, I don't see him taking any crap and getting talked out of his decisions as some of our past coaches would have... **cough** Julien **cough**

I think a focussed Brodeur is more important than a slightly more rested Brodeur.

SJ, i think you're missing the point. Everyone here wants a focused brodeur. We're not arguing he should sit more down the stretch (as you point out, could be a bad thing). We want him to sit out a few games NOW and in the next two months so that he can be hitting his stride playing every game in the last month of the season. I'm not gonna say I know this from experience as a goalie but I can attest to a similar effect as a pitcher. Sitting out two games a month will not make him rusty.

While I think Sutter trusts his veterans, I don't see him taking any crap and getting talked out of his decisions as some of our past coaches would have... **cough** Julien **cough**

As forguys like Zubrus, I agree with giving everyone a rest at a point, but anyone who watched the playoffs last year could see that something was bothering Marty, be it an injury or fatigue.

I'm never worried about Marty being physically tired. He's an athlete and can handle it. Where it does matter is mentally. He plays a ton of tight 1 goal victory games, always has. That takes a toll on goalies, mentally, to have to literally stop every shot from going in all the time in close games. It's high stress, and a quick way to burn out. There's no reason Weekes can't play 7-10 more games.

I thought Sutter might play Weekes in Edmonton or Calgary but I guess he thought these few days off right now would give Marty a breather. I too though agree that Weekes should play a few more games down the stretch to keep Marty fresh.

Marty has been around long enough to know exactly how worn down he is feeling and how much rest he needs during the season. He has constantly said he likes playing 70games a season and that it doesn't effect him. Personally I don't know what makes anyone here qualified to make an assessment on how tired he is but never the less he lead us to two cups when he played around 70 games. I don't see "resting" him as a cure all. He likes to get into a rhythm and fall into a pace and I think its foolish to force him off it.

Marty wasn't horrible in the playoffs, he wasn't spectacular either I don't know why people think resting him 5-10 more games during the regular season then he is used to, is going to make his performance go from a B- to A+ when the very goalie in question tells you thats not the case.

Have we forgotten that the guy is 35? We all know, even if he was dead tired, Marty would NEVER admit to this. His competitive drive forces him to block out everything so he can get on the ice and compete, and that includes pain and fatigue.

He's turned it around, been a big part of the Devils resurgence, but fact is, he's 35, next year is 36, is everyone going to be saying this when the guy is 40?