A Tale of 3 Goalies

Devilsdude530

Brodeur generously lauds DiPietro for his flair and personality -- "I've had shutouts against them, and at the end of the game he's flipped the puck in my direction, which is cool," he says -- but his tone is distinctly frostier on the subject of Lundqvist. They crossed paths at the NHL awards ceremony last June, but Brodeur says Lundqvist never looked in his direction. Although he attributes that to a European temperament rather than old-time hockey nonfraternization between a Devil and a Ranger, Lundqvist's on-ice style is more problematic for the New Jersey goalie. "The way he plays the game is not something I like too much," says Brodeur, whose 96 career regular-season shutouts were seven short of Terry Sawchuk's record. "Lundqvist is weird."
Edited by Devilsdude530

Extension is the key. The 6' 1" goalie has the widest stance in the NHL; indeed his splayed legs allow him almost no option but to go down. When Lundqvist does drop into a butterfly, his pads cover almost the full six feet of the bottom of the net.

I never thought someone would compare this trio of goaltenders to the days of those great New York centerfielders. It's maybe because America's too biased towards... well, anything but hockey, but I don't know, just a thought.

... I hate the general public.