Cujo to Flames

BlueSkirt

It took a little longer than he may have hoped, but Curtis Joseph is heading back to the NHL.

All-time Victories

Curtis Joseph is just one victory from tying for fourth all-time on the goaltender wins list.

Goalie Wins

Patrick Roy 551

Martin Brodeur 518

Ed Belfour 484

Terry Sawchuk 447

Curtis Joseph 446

Sources told ESPN The Magazine's E.J. Hradek that the veteran goaltender has signed a deal with the Calgary Flames. Details surrounding the deal were not disclosed.

Joseph, 40, will be reunited with coach Mike Keenan, who was bench boss and GM of the goalie in St. Louis during the 1994-95 season. Keenan later traded Joseph to the Edmonton Oilers in 1995.

link

During Cujo's playing in Toronto the following conversation took place:

Mike Brophy (THN): Hey Mike, is it me or is Cujo a pretty overrated goaltender.

Mike Keenan: Your talking to the orchestra leader on that bandwagon.

I don't see Cujo getting many starts with a Vezina contender playing in front of him. This move is a mistake as Cujo needs playing time to stay sharp which he won't get in Calgary.

Edited by MantaRay

This Guy has never won anything

He has never even been to the Finals

Choked on 1996 World Cup for Canada

Marty beat him out of the starters job in 2002 ( even though Pat Quin was the Coach)

Screws the Oilers and goes to Toronto.

Screws Toronto because he figures he can win a cup in Detroit. (didn't work out)

Overrated Overweight Overpaid.

remember in the 2001 Playoffs against the devils when he protested the goal and ran the ref over.

CURTIS JOSEPH IS A DOUCHE BAG

Never won anything - was never on a great team to win anything.

Never been to a finals - was never on a great team to get to the finals.

The very fact that he was one of the best goaltenders from Canada to make Team Canada speaks volumes about his talent.

Screws the Oilers to go to Toronto. A lot of UFA leave the Oilers to go to bigger markets and more money.

Screws Toronto to go to Detroit. That was a bad scene, not Cujo's fault. He says now that he regrets that move.

Ran the ref over - he slipped on the ice. That he was so upset that he couldn't maintain his footing was funny, but it's not like he MEANT to knock the referee down.

I like Curtis. And I love his persitancy. He went over to the Spengler Cup and he played some kick ass hockey. He's been working out and practicing and doing everything in his power to get back into the NHL and it's paid off. I think that deserves kudos and not kicks to the nether-regions.

Never won anything - was never on a great team to win anything.

Never been to a finals - was never on a great team to get to the finals.

The very fact that he was one of the best goaltenders from Canada to make Team Canada speaks volumes about his talent.

Screws the Oilers to go to Toronto. A lot of UFA leave the Oilers to go to bigger markets and more money.

Screws Toronto to go to Detroit. That was a bad scene, not Cujo's fault. He says now that he regrets that move.

Ran the ref over - he slipped on the ice. That he was so upset that he couldn't maintain his footing was funny, but it's not like he MEANT to knock the referee down.

I like Curtis. And I love his persitancy. He went over to the Spengler Cup and he played some kick ass hockey. He's been working out and practicing and doing everything in his power to get back into the NHL and it's paid off. I think that deserves kudos and not kicks to the nether-regions.

What year was it that Cujo was in nets for the Red Wings during the playoffs and they lost?

You obviously have a hate-on about Curtis Joseph. I don't know what he ever did to you... I can only assume it has to do with an incident where your underwear was off. But I think that he was an above average goalie. At this point he may be a less-than-average back-up, but that is all he wants to be. And good for him for getting there. He doesn't need the money, but wants to continue playing the game.

Edited by Don

the truth is of course somewhere in the middle -

Cujo played wonderfully for teams that had little shot to win anything significant, and played poorly for heavy favorites. In 2003, IIRC, the Wings scored all of 5 goals in that 4 game sweep, so I don't see that one as Cujo's fault.

But yeah, now he's finished - he wants his wins record, but in 15 years he probably won't be in the top 10.

What year was it that Cujo was in nets for the Red Wings during the playoffs and they lost?

You obviously have a hate-on about Curtis Joseph. I don't know what he ever did to you... I can only assume it has to do with an incident where your underwear was off. But I think that he was an above average goalie. At this point he may be a less-than-average back-up, but that is all he wants to be. And good for him for getting there. He doesn't need the money, but wants to continue playing the game.

choker? do you guys even remember who was on those toronto teams? they were terrible.

if anything, cujo got the MLSE to spend foolishly thinking they had a chance at a stanley cup, when he was the only reason they were going anywhere in the playoffs every year.