Atlanta fails to sign Hossa

Devil Fan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atlanta is in a messy situation. They are only 6 points back of the 8th place team and only 4 points back of the division lead... they could still make the playoffs with a hot streak. But unless the trade of Hossa brings in some talent that can play now, they are not going to get that hot streak. And they need to prove to their fans that they are serious about competing. I mean has this franchise ever won a playoff game? I don't think so. Their fans must be getting restless by now. The Atlanta fanbase is not known for their loyalty, the market is precarious at best and trading away one of your best players for prospects and picks isn't going to look good.

I'd say Sundin is more of the crown jewel this trade season than Hossa. At least in terms of character and he's been pretty damn good playing wise this season. Hossa is not known for his heart. I'd much rather have Sundin for a year or two, than Hossa at 7-8 per.

Atlanta's price would be way too high

I don't think Atlanta can afford their price being way high now. If they hold off for that, they'll miss the deadline and end up losing him for nothing in the offseason. His salary alone will make teams balk, and Waddell will be almost forced to take less than market value for him. However, he doesnt have an NTC, so some crap team could essentially offer a lot to get him to take a chance and try to re-sign him. It just became a buyer's market for Hossa.

Edited by ghdi

I'd say Sundin is more of the crown jewel this trade season than Hossa. At least in terms of character and he's been pretty damn good playing wise this season. Hossa is not known for his heart. I'd much rather have Sundin for a year or two, than Hossa at 7-8 per.

I don't think Atlanta can afford their price being way high now. If they hold off for that, they'll miss the deadline and end up losing him for nothing in the offseason. His salary alone will make teams balk, and Waddell will be almost forced to take less than market value for him. However, he doesnt have an NTC, so some crap team could essentially offer a lot to get him to take a chance and try to re-sign him. It just became a buyer's market for Hossa.

well said, if you were lou, realistically, what would you give up for hossa?

I don't want Hossa really. I think he's going to be overpriced in terms of what it'd take for the Devils to get him and I don't think he's the type of guy that is hungry enough to do anything for this team, he's just a big name with a big contract that historically never shows up when the chips are down. I'd rather have someone who wants to come to Jersey or at the least will give his all, even if its just a rental situation. Hossa will likely mail in the rest of the season no matter where he ends up.

If I was to offer a deal, it'd be well below what Atlanta could feasibly get. Andy Greene, a prospect and a 3rd rd pick.

I'm not against trading Gionta, but I'd rather have him than Marian Hossa for a few months. I only want to see Gionta traded if it helps the Devils long term and not just for this run. I'm only cautiosly optimistic about our chances this season, but the right deal could end up being like a Langenbrunner/Nieuwendyk type of deal for next season.

Edited by ghdi

I don't want Hossa really. I think he's going to be overpriced in terms of what it'd take for the Devils to get him and I don't think he's the type of guy that is hungry enough to do anything for this team, he's just a big name with a big contract that historically never shows up when the chips are down. I'd rather have someone who wants to come to Jersey or at the least will give his all, even if its just a rental situation. Hossa will likely mail in the rest of the season no matter where he ends up.

If I was to offer a deal, it'd be well below what Atlanta could feasibly get. Andy Greene, a prospect and a 3rd rd pick.

I'm not against trading Gionta, but I'd rather have him than Marian Hossa for a few months. I only want to see Gionta traded if it helps the Devils long term and not just for this run. I'm only cautiosly optimistic about our chances this season, but the right deal could end up being like a Langenbrunner/Nieuwendyk type of deal for next season.

i think we have a decent chance to win the cup this year, but i dont want to compromise our future to improve our chances for one year

Yea exactly. The east is wide open this year without question and it'd not be a shock to see the Devils come out of there, but it's just hard to imagine them winning the Cup with this on the blueline: Paul Martin, Johnny Oduya, Mike Mottau, Colin White, Andy Green, Vitaly Vishnevsky and/or Karel Rachunek.

Yea exactly. The east is wide open this year without question and it'd not be a shock to see the Devils come out of there, but it's just hard to imagine them winning the Cup with this on the blueline: Paul Martin, Johnny Oduya, Mike Mottau, Colin White, Andy Green, Vitaly Vishnevsky and/or Karel Rachunek.

Who knows??? Imagine the Canes had this: commodore, Wesley, Hedican, Kaberle, Wallin and Ward in 06 while the Lightning had this: Boyle, Kubina, Cullimore, Sarich, Pratt and Sydor in 04. but I agree with you that a good defense has a higher chance to win the Cup.

Who knows??? Imagine the Canes had this: commodore, Wesley, Hedican, Kaberle, Wallin and Ward in 06 while the Lightning had this: Boyle, Kubina, Cullimore, Sarich, Pratt and Sydor in 04. but I agree with you that a good defense has a higher chance to win the Cup.

Well yea, who knows. It's not an impossibility, but it is hard to see it happening, doesn't mean it won't though.

He didn't sign because jhe's coming to Vancouver...that's if Nonis doesn't want Sundin..:)

Hey i can dream right?

The question remains: what are we willing to give up for a rental?

Gio? Who will replace his goals the next few years?

I would rather make a hockey trade for a Patrick O'Sullivan than throw away one of our better players for someone who will last a few month AND is not a playoff performer like Hossa.

Edited by MantaRay

The question remains: what are we willing to give up for a rental?

Gio? Who will replace his goals the next few years?

I would rather make a hockey trade for a Patrick O'Sullivan than throw away one of our better players for someone who will last a few month AND is not a playoff performer like Hossa.

Are you asking me what I would be willing to give up for a star rental or what Lou is willing to give up? If it's me I wouldn't be willing to give up enough to get any of the big rental players. Now I would be willing to package up Gio + for Hossa w/ extension I could see that being reasonable but I don't see Hossa being willing to sign an extension.

..And the Devils

I would trade Gio for Hossa

But why? The chance of re-signing Hossa in the offseason is slim and none based on #'s alone when the Devils have other needs to address, Hossa is not the type to take a pay cut when he can make 7-8 on the open market. Offloading Gionta for a couple of months of Hossa is not a good move. Then we risk overspending in the UFA market to replace that scoring when a good chunk of that should be used towards a blueliner. Hossa is historically not a guy that you can count on.

If Gionta is on the block, it should be a move that provides the Devils something that's going to at least last more than a few months. I do however agree with the sentiment on here that it's pretty much now or never with Gionta, unless of course he explodes the rest of this year and has a good scoring season next year.

Here's a pretty damn good blog about last year's trade deadline and the stupid moves GM's made...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13490

yes its Hockeybuzz but its not by the rumor tool.