Blake Wheeler Visits Devils & Rangers

Patches O'Houlihan

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that Strickland guy legit? Or is he just another Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate)?

Anyway, that's interesting.

I find Strickland MUCH better than Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate)....not as outlandish on his rumors.

I can't help but think that having a few native Minnesotans on the squad might have an impact on wheeler maybe taking a god long look at NJ? :noclue:

Winning rarely matters in this context. Who knows where one franchise will be in two years?

Point is, the Islanders can offer him guaranteed 15 minutes of ice time a game, somewhere on their team. New Jersey can't.

I'm not saying the Devils won't get him, I just find it very unlikely - there's not a spot guaranteed for him in the top 9. I don't think there was a spot guaranteed for him in Phoenix on the top 9, either.

I don't see all the excitement over Wheeler - I have seen him play twice - first time played well second game was invisible - Has never had a season with over 18 goals in 44 games or more than 20 assists - Tyler Burton from Colgate who had an ATO in Lowell has better career numbers

numbers and potential are two different things when dealing with prospects.

Also, it's not like anyone expects wheeler to come in and be a top six impact player right away. The excitement is around getting a prospect player with little to no risk.

God forbid adding a prospect with some talent on a cheap contract.

:cryriver:

Actually we need a huge center, but Wheeler is a RW, who is probably #6 best prospect in Phoenix.

Well according to hockeysfuture (one of the best prospect analysis programs) Phoenix are 3rd in organisational rankings, with Blake Wheeler charting in at #3 on the orgs top 20. Pretty damn good stock.

I really cant see the disadvantage to adding this kid. :noclue:

Well according to hockeysfuture (one of the best prospect analysis programs) Phoenix are 3rd in organisational rankings, with Blake Wheeler charting in at #3 on the orgs top 20. Pretty damn good stock.

I really cant see the disadvantage to adding this kid. :noclue:

I don't get it either. It's not like we'd be paying him lots of money. It's a low risk move.

Actually we need a huge center, but Wheeler is a RW, who is probably #6 best prospect in Phoenix.

Apparently you missed the sarcasm in my post.

And Wheeler played center almost exclusively his last couple seasons at Minnesota.

#6 in the Phoenix prospect pool (not sure where you get 6 from, Turris and maybe Yandle are the only two who superceed Wheeler) > #1 in the New Jersey prospect pool.

He would basically jump to #1.

Lou is obsessed with obtaining high first round talent - since 2001-02 he's acquired Zyuzin, Tverdovsky, Rasmussen, and Vishnevski, all picked #6 or higher. Other former middling first round picks he acquired are Sean Brown, Jeff Friesen, Jamie Langenbrunner, and Dainius Zubrus.

I don't think there's a team that's acquired 4 guys picked that high in this span.

He would basically jump to #1.

Lou is obsessed with obtaining high first round talent - since 2001-02 he's acquired Zyuzin, Tverdovsky, Rasmussen, and Vishnevski, all picked #6 or higher. Other former middling first round picks he acquired are Sean Brown, Jeff Friesen, Jamie Langenbrunner, and Dainius Zubrus.

I don't think there's a team that's acquired 4 guys picked that high in this span.

Kozlov was picked #6 too, and Matvichuk was picked 8th. I don't see why anyone would object to adding Wheeler, unless Lou promises him playing time in New Jersey. Adding a prospect like him would compensate for giving away our first rounder last year.

Boston is rumored to be a finalist...

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articl..._murray/?page=2

"The Bruins will find out in the next two or three days whether they will add college free agent Blake Wheeler to their stable of forwards. According to his agent, Matt Keator, Wheeler has narrowed his list to four teams, and Boston is one of them."

----------

So first there is a rumor that there were two teams left, possibly the Rangers and Devils, now his agent claims there are four teams left, with the Bruins being one of them. Hopefully the Devils are among that final four list.