New York Mets Offseason Thread

Devils Pride 26

Well apparently the Mets have signed Freddy Garcia to a heavily incentive-laden minor league deal, according to Adam Rubin of the Daily News.

I'm not sure what to think really, although it feels like a sign that the Mets aren't going to bring back Ollie or get another comparable starting pitcher, since they have their set three of Santana-Pelfrey-Maine and now Niese-Redding-Garcia, plus maybe one more low-cost signing to compete for the last two spots in the rotation. That'd be fine if they got another big RH bat, but I doubt that's coming.

Edited by Hasan4978

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what to think really, although it feels like a sign that the Mets aren't going to bring back Ollie or get another comparable starting pitcher, since they have their set three of Santana-Pelfrey-Maine and now Niese-Redding-Garcia, plus maybe one more low-cost signing to compete for the last two spots in the rotation. That'd be fine if they got another big RH bat, but I doubt that's coming.

Really? I think they are definitely looking to add another SP.. the deal to Garcia is only a minor league deal, incentives dont really mean anything unless he actually lives up to them (which he wont).. They are definitely still looking to add Perez, Sheets, or Garland.

This is a good signing for sure.. Even if he doesn't win that 5th rotation spot, I rather have him be our spot starter rather than someone like Brandon Knight.

Edited by nmigliore

This probably ends my Sheets AND Wolf/Garland hope.

I'd say so. Dodgers are interested in Wolf now anyway.. But anyway with all this depth at starting pitching, SHEETS IS WORTH THE GAMBLE.

Get it done Omar :pray:

Edited by nmigliore

Man, the longer this stuff drags on and these "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks"-type moves are being made, I can't help but feel like the Wilpons are going back to the Coupons mode. It's looking more like they're content to bank on Carlos Delgado repeating last season, Luis Castillo bouncing back, Church staying healthy, and the tandems of Schneider/Castro and Tatis/Murphy being productive. Typical Mets and typical Omar...big splashes early, then going 80% of the way but not all the way. There's still time, but I'm losing optimism by the day.

According to Jon Heyman its looking likely that Wolf is gonna go to the Dodgers and Garland will go to the Dbacks. That basically leaves the Mets with 2 good options: Oliver Perez and Ben Sheets.. It looks as if Perez is certainly the #1 choice (not mine though) and they are willing to go to 4 years with him (according to a ESPN 1050 Radio blog).. Lets hope the Mets can snag Sheets because I certainly don't want Ollie for 4 years..

Hopefully Ollie will sign.

I hope he doesn't especially if its a 4-year deal (which I speculate it might be).. Sheets is much more worth it on a shorter-term and cheaper contract

(edit: BTW anyone look at the first few pages at this thread? They were nuts.. I was totally opposed to signing Sheets and tought Murphy would be our opening day 2B.. At least I got something right so far and thats dumping Heilman/Schoeneweis :lol:)

Right now here is what I think the Mets starting spots will look like (excluding bench/bullpen):

Starting Pitchers

-Johan Santana

-Mike Pelfrey

-Oliver Perez

-John Maine

-Tim Redding

(Spot Starter: Freddy Garcia)

Position Players

C - Schneider, Castro

1B - Delgado

2B - Castillo, Cora

SS - Reyes

3B - Wright

LF - Abreu (or maybe a Dunn or something.. im expecting a 1-2 year deal to one of those guys)

CF - Beltran

LF - Church

This team needs a corner OF bat, Tatis/Murphy are not going to put up their 2008 numbers and Church is a huge question mark.

Edited by nmigliore

From the rumor I read there's only a couple million more added on to the toal base of the deal, with a fourth year option and a moderate ($4 million or so) buyout if it isn't picked up.

I do hope we re-sign him if that's the case, I don't think I can deal with Sheets after two years of having ming vases like Alou, Duque and Pedro. And for all of Ollie's idiosyncrascies you could always use another lefty starter to deal with the monster lefty bats in Philly.

Edited by Hasan4978

From the rumor I read there's only a couple million more added on to the toal base of the deal, with a fourth year option and a moderate ($4 million or so) buyout if it isn't picked up.

I do hope we re-sign him if that's the case, I don't think I can deal with Sheets after two years of having ming vases like Alou, Duque and Pedro. And for all of Ollie's idiosyncrascies you could always use another lefty starter to deal with the monster lefty bats in Philly.

If thats the case I say he signs it. I think he was originally looking for 10+ mil/year and for 4 years.. thats probably as close as it will come..

Too bad, hopefully Boras keeps him from signing it and we can dive into the Sheets market (er.. Texas?)

I hope he doesn't especially if its a 4-year deal (which I speculate it might be).. Sheets is much more worth it on a shorter-term and cheaper contract

(edit: BTW anyone look at the first few pages at this thread? They were nuts.. I was totally opposed to signing Sheets and tought Murphy would be our opening day 2B.. At least I got something right so far and thats dumping Heilman/Schoeneweis :lol:)

Right now here is what I think the Mets starting spots will look like (excluding bench/bullpen):

Starting Pitchers

-Johan Santana

-Mike Pelfrey

-Oliver Perez

-John Maine

-Tim Redding

(Spot Starter: Freddy Garcia)

Position Players

C - Schneider, Castro

1B - Delgado

2B - Castillo, Cora

SS - Reyes

3B - Wright

LF - Abreu (or maybe a Dunn or something.. im expecting a 1-2 year deal to one of those guys)

CF - Beltran

LF - Church (RF)

This team needs a corner OF bat, Tatis/Murphy are not going to put up their 2008 numbers and Church is a huge question mark.

Isn't Abreu a RF? I haven't heard his name linked to the Mets at all, although he is a pretty good player...like Mike Francesca says, he's a "columns filler". I don't like to agree with Fatso a whole lot, but I agree with him when he says Abreu's more of a complementary guy than a guy who will take a team to the next level. I have a feeling they're going to go with Murph and Tatis in LF...that's a dangerous proposition for a team looking to overtake the Phils. Ibanez could have been a nice fit, but Omar's too busy patting himself on the back for addressing the bullpen needs to notice that this team has other needs.

Anyway, this roster looks like it will be good for 85 wins or so...maybe 90 if everything breaks right.

Isn't Abreu a RF? I haven't heard his name linked to the Mets at all, although he is a pretty good player...like Mike Francesca says, he's a "columns filler". I don't like to agree with Fatso a whole lot, but I agree with him when he says Abreu's more of a complementary guy than a guy who will take a team to the next level. I have a feeling they're going to go with Murph and Tatis in LF...that's a dangerous proposition for a team looking to overtake the Phils. Ibanez could have been a nice fit, but Omar's too busy patting himself on the back for addressing the bullpen needs to notice that this team has other needs.

Anyway, this roster looks like it will be good for 85 wins or so...maybe 90 if everything breaks right.

He is but would he really mind if he had to move to LF? Or if he is then move Church there?

He is but would he really mind if he had to move to LF? Or if he is then move Church there?

You never know with players nowadays until the subject's actually broached. It all depends on how both players see themselves. Some guys just don't want to move. Anyway Abreu is an interesting name and one I thought of too, but I don't think the Mets have even considered him.

BTW have you heard Abreu's name linked with ANYONE? I haven't. That's what's been weird about this offseason...Abreu's not a perfect player, but he's pretty good and I never hear a thing about him, in terms of interest around the league. Same with other players.

You never know with players nowadays until the subject's actually broached. It all depends on how both players see themselves. Some guys just don't want to move. Anyway Abreu is an interesting name and one I thought of too, but I don't think the Mets have even considered him.

BTW have you heard Abreu's name linked with ANYONE? I haven't. That's what's been weird about this offseason...Abreu's not a perfect player, but he's pretty good and I never hear a thing about him, in terms of interest around the league. Same with other players.

Abreu's name has been linked to the Mets, but that was awhile ago.. Omar is working on finishing the rotation right now so its possible we will hear rumors about Abreu again once Ollie or Wolf or Sheets is signed.

Talk about names being non-existant, how about Adam Dunn? I haven't heard anything on him

Abreu's name has been linked to the Mets, but that was awhile ago.. Omar is working on finishing the rotation right now so its possible we will hear rumors about Abreu again once Ollie or Wolf or Sheets is signed.

Talk about names being non-existant, how about Adam Dunn? I haven't heard anything on him

Adam Dunn is one of those guys that I think is intriguing until he's actually playing for you. For one, from all accounts he's supposed to be a below-average fielder. For another, I get the feeling his HR and RBI totals look better than they actually "feel"...you'll likely see him striking out a lot more than coming through. And he's playing in an absolute launching pad at that Great American Bandbox...if he came here I could see him hitting 25-30 HRs, striking out a ton in big spots and getting booed out of the building. He does draw walks, but he seems like the kind of guy that HAS to hit 40 HRs to offset everything else.

Adam Dunn is one of those guys that I think is intriguing until he's actually playing for you. For one, from all accounts he's supposed to be a below-average fielder. For another, I get the feeling his HR and RBI totals look better than they actually "feel"...you'll likely see him striking out a lot more than coming through. And he's playing in an absolute launching pad at that Great American Bandbox...if he came here I could see him hitting 25-30 HRs, striking out a ton in big spots and getting booed out of the building. He does draw walks, but he seems like the kind of guy that HAS to hit 40 HRs to offset everything else.

Eh I'll take 1-2 years of Dunn if it means we not start Tatis (really? Does anyone truly think he will repeat '08? cmon) or Murphy (same story; he wont repeat his '08 numbers, but i would LOVE for them to move him to 2B.. He should be a starter in 2009 but sadly its looking like its in LF, not 2B.. However I could easily see him being our 1B in 2010 when Delgado's contract expires). Also 1-2 years of Dunn could mean more development for F-Mart, who I feel is being rushed quite a bit.. Hes supposedly starting '09 in AAA-Buffalo, which shocks me.. I thought he would play about half or 2/3 of the year in AA again and then the Mets brass would decide whether he should be promoted to AAA.

Oh and, plus, Dunn probably be cheaper than Abreu

Edited by nmigliore

Eh I'll take 1-2 years of Dunn if it means we not start Tatis (really? Does anyone truly think he will repeat '08? cmon) or Murphy (same story; he wont repeat his '08 numbers, but i would LOVE for them to move him to 2B.. He should be a starter in 2009 but sadly its looking like its in LF, not 2B.. However I could easily see him being our 1B in 2010 when Delgado's contract expires). Also 1-2 years of Dunn could mean more development for F-Mart, who I feel is being rushed quite a bit.. Hes supposedly starting '09 in AAA-Buffalo, which shocks me.. I thought he would play about half or 2/3 of the year in AA again and then the Mets brass would decide whether he should be promoted to AAA.

Oh and, plus, Dunn probably be cheaper than Abreu

Tatis...I'll be stunned if he repeats his numbers. I agree with you there.

Murphy...I love his approach at the plate. He may not drop off as much as you think...are you down on him? I'm getting the feeling the Mets have abandoned (at the very least postponed) the idea of him playing 2B.

I think what the Mets envision as Dunn's low end (25 HRs, 80 RBI, .240 BA and a gazillion Ks) is enough to scare them off. They seem committed to Tatis/Murphy in LF. Honestly, I'm not sure which one of those I'd take. I know Dunn's put up some good power numbers (not a lot of RBI for the amount of HRs though), but take him out of Great American and he's likely a shaky, low-average power hitter who isn't a good fielder and can probably be tamed by good pitching.

Think about it...the guy's reached 40+ HRs five straight years, has hit 278 HRs before the age of 30 and no one's going after him? What does that tell you?

I just looked this up...his numbers home and away aren't as different as I would have thought. But he's a lifetime .227 hitter in August and a lifetime .223 hitter in September. With the Mets' problems down the stretch the last thing they need is another guy who folds late:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=dunnad01

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

it tells you that things are different in baseball than they were in the past. the teams that would take dunn already have left fielders, and the teams that won't because they don't understand how baseball games are won (with OBP and SLG) aren't interested.

now the rumor is that dunn isn't the most committed guy to baseball but it's what, 4 weeks before spring training? he'll be somewhere. he's most assuredly better than tatis. and while the end of his career won't look pretty, if you could get adam dunn for 2 years, you'd be nuts not to - i guess his OPS is 'only' .871 away from the great american ballpark.

also dunn hasn't been involved in a pennant race in his career basically so how can you say he 'folds late'? he's out 10 or 20 singles in august and september. totally insignificant.

Edited by Triumph

I still don't get how people really care about people striking out so much. If a player gets on base and hits for power am I overly concerned with how he spends his outs? Not really. A strikeout is of only extremely little less value than a fly out and an even smaller less margin of worth than a ground out.

Dunn is a nice player. The Mets should take him in a heartbeat if he isn't demanding an insane amount of money. It's crazy that the Mets would feel more comfortable letting Tatis on the field than Dunn.

it tells you that things are different in baseball than they were in the past. the teams that would take dunn already have left fielders, and the teams that won't because they don't understand how baseball games are won (with OBP and SLG) aren't interested.

now the rumor is that dunn isn't the most committed guy to baseball but it's what, 4 weeks before spring training? he'll be somewhere. he's most assuredly better than tatis. and while the end of his career won't look pretty, if you could get adam dunn for 2 years, you'd be nuts not to - i guess his OPS is 'only' .871 away from the great american ballpark.

also dunn hasn't been involved in a pennant race in his career basically so how can you say he 'folds late'? he's out 10 or 20 singles in august and september. totally insignificant.

I didn't say he wasn't going to get a job...of course he will. But you have to admit that it's very surprising that a guy who could very well reach 400 home runs (probably more) and is only 29 hasn't found a home yet.

He has some things going in his favor...I noticed the OPS stat too (away from GA). Yeah, at two years it could be a good deal, although I just have a bad feeling about him wearing a Mets uniform...like it could become another Jeromy Burnitz situation. I have nothing to base it on other than a gut feeling.

Originally his asking price was 4 years at $16 million per. I haven't really been following his case (when I did a search on him I saw that the Nationals allegedly have the most interest, but not at the 4/64 mil price tag), but if he comes down from that, maybe the Mets perk up. This whole discussion is probably moot anyway, as the Mets don't appear to be suitors.

As for the "folds late", that might have been a little strong on my part. He's a .225 hitter from August 1 on, but he's not a high-average guy anyway, so that's not really that big a dropoff for him.

I still don't get how people really care about people striking out so much. If a player gets on base and hits for power am I overly concerned with how he spends his outs? Not really. A strikeout is of only extremely little less value than a fly out and an even smaller less margin of worth than a ground out.

Well when he has a lot more outs than most guys you tend to harp on the high K number. He's basically one or two steps away from being the modern-day Dave Kingman.

Plus the Mets are left-handed enough as it is anyway. I'm not as worried about the lack of defense in the corners so long as Beltran's healthy, he held the OF together defensively last year all on his own when flanked by a rookie and a converted infielder.

I do think part of the issue with Dunn and Abreu is they're waiting for Manny to set the bar and Manny's waiting out teams till the last minute to try and get every last penny. To a certain extent teams that would take Dunn and Abreu as fallbacks are also waiting on Manny. Burrell signed early for far less than he was expecting. Bradley probably got a fair deal, all things considered.

Well he was last year, and while the entire D'Backs team folded he didn't do much to help matters.

Edited by Hasan4978

Well when he has a lot more outs than most guys you tend to harp on the high K number. He's basically one or two steps away from being the modern-day Dave Kingman.

He has a career OBP of .381 so he doesn't make more outs than most guys....unless you think Derek Jeter does the same thing.(Jeter was just the first guy I picked, no slight on him, it's just known that he doesn't make a lot of outs)

Well he was last year, and while the entire D'Backs team folded he didn't do much to help matters.

I didn't look at the monthly breakdown but in his 44 games with the Dbacks Dunn was pretty good. I'd be happy having that Dunn play 150 games for the Mets.

You basically have to go back to 2003 to find a year where Dunn wasn't helpful to his team.

Edited by Devils731