GDT: DEVILS @ FLYERS 4pm

njdevil26

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's early in the season but I feel tonight is a must win. We can't be embarresed by the flyers 2 days in a row.

I don't get that sentiment at all. This was a probable to lose with Langs out and Brookbank lol skating at wing. Once rupp got ejected we were basically rotating 9 guys. How do you win like that? Without Marty being godlike we would have lost by much more tonight.

Overall I feel like this was a worse game than last night. We never really controlled play ever, even if we gave up fewer goals in the end. They definitely played hard though.

HOW ABOUT THAT GIONTA BREAKAWAY? Guys?

We got HOSED on penalties on both games in this back-to-back. The series was poorly officiated in its entirety. I don't understand how Cote doesn't get a major for his payback hit, the first goalie interference on Zubrus, the roughing on Elias...etc whatever. A lot of fvcking nonsense.

That stinkbomb was so Philly. fvck Philly. Since the Flyers have really been the only rivals in the Atlantic worth a damn since 95 I pretty much hate them more than the Rangers, I just don't have to hear sh!t from their fans all the goddamn time, and I hate losing to them.

Hey by the way chalk up another loss within the division. We're now 2-2-1. Not great. Edit: and we gave a point to Pitt.

Edited by Cowutopia

Okay so I was at the game tonight. That was NOT A stink bomb. It was a flare of some kind.

But it was stinky right? Doc and Chico mentioned that a few times.

the officials were horrendous.

Indeed. Some of the worst calls I have seen in awhile. And not just one or two.

Unfortunetly, it was because of the lack of talent inherited from Colorado. People don't realize that it took 5 years to rebuild the team with talent through the draft to compete. NJ got a bad team with players past their prime and some that never had a prime. Too many bad personnel decisions, bad trades and bad drafting in Colorado was the culprit for the early years of the Devils. Plus, losing out on Lemieux in 1984, McMullen's reluctance to pay the salaries of the time and the drafting of legends like Rocky Trottier and Neil Brady didn't help either. It was alot of patience needed.

Unsettled ownership was also a big reason the Rockies struggled so much. That led to constant changes at the GM and coaching positions, which led to instability and constant changes in philosophy. What's sad is that the Rockies actually had some good players on their teams.

The teams from 88-93 had good talent and solid players....Poddubny, Burke, Muller, Verbeek, Driver, Daneyko, Stevens, Maclean, Fetisov, Kasatonov, Sundstrom, Lemieux, Richer, Stastny, Todd, Turgeon, Semak, Zelepukin, et. al. for whatever reason they never put it all together, especially in the playoffs. They had injuries to players they needed (Poddubny, Maclean, Sundstrom) and they had a tendency of being very Jeckyl and Hyde in terms of offense and defense. They never had a "system" to utilize the talent they had until 1993. If Lemaire coached the early 90's Devils teams, there might have been some good Cup runs.

In the above statement, part of the problem was that those players didn't all play on the same team at the same time. You're also overrating some of those guys: Todd had one decent season (his rookie year), Turgeon was a malingering underachiever, Semak was another guy who had one good year, Burke never came close to living up to his early billing, etc. I agree that Lou had assembled a nice collection of ingredients, but wasn't really sure how to cook the meal until Lemaire was brought in. That is reinforced by their GF-GA numbers...until Lemaire came in the Devils were usually middle-of-the-pack in both categories.

But, back then Lou was alot more pro-active then he is now. If the team was lacking he went out and got someone (Stastny) and did alot better job in trades, although some looked lopsided at the time (sundstrom) they were brilliant trades. Lou also dumped players that he felt were underperforming or not buying into the Devil way of things (Verbeek, Muller, Cirella, Wolanin, Turgeon).

If alot of today's fans saw how Lou operated back then, you might be more critical of why he's not the same way today. I guarantee if this was 1990, both Gionta and White would be gone. Lou made better trades back then then he has in the last 5 years. Lou stole Richer, Lemieux, Stastny, the draft day trade for the slot to pick Brodeur, and the draft slot of Toronto (Neidermayer), being staunch in recieving Stevens as compensation, Holik form Hartford along with the pick used for Pandolfo....those are just some moves.

This is revisionist history through rose-colored glasses to a certain extent. Lou did not "steal" Richer or Stastny...Lou gave up a very good player in Muller (and Rollie Melanson) to get Richer (and Chorske)...all Muller did was help Montreal win the Cup in 1993. It's not like Montreal got fleeced in that deal, and until the Devils won their Cup in 1995, with Richer playing well during that playoff run, it looked like Montreal had gotten the better end of that deal. Statsny was clearly near-finished by the time the Devils got him...he was OK for the stretch drive, but after waiting to sign him the following season the Devils got little of out him...Herb Brooks called his $700,00 contract "a heist" by the time the season was over. Lemieux was definitely a steal, and the dealing of Tom Kurvers for Toronto's first rounder was also terrific (and an indictment of how stupid Harold Ballard's Maple Leafs could be), although no one really thought Toronto was going to fall apart that much after having a solid '89-'90 season. What killed Toronto was Gary Leeman and others falling completely apart.

Actually, those are a few examples of moves this team needs now.

They're 5-2-1. It's also harder to make deals now with the salary cap...who's taking White with his eye issue and length of contract? And if Gio's going to be dealt, I'd rather it happens after he scores some goals...right now he's not going to bring back a whole lot.

When it comes to this weekend, these two games were mostly about law-of-averages. The Flyers weren't going to remain winless forever. The Devils weren't going to keep winning at a .833 clip. The Flyers were going to win a game on Devils' ice eventually. I hated seeing those two losses too, but they didn't come as a total surprise either.

Two males about 6 feet tall - one white, one black - were involved in the incident, according to Ike Richman, vice president for public relations for Comcast-Spectacor, which owns the Wachovia Center. They both were wearing Flyers jerseys and ran toward the concourse by Sections 111/112, said Richman, adding that one of the males had his face painted.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/2008...cts_sought.html

Two males about 6 feet tall - one white, one black - were involved in the incident, according to Ike Richman, vice president for public relations for Comcast-Spectacor, which owns the Wachovia Center. They both were wearing Flyers jerseys and ran toward the concourse by Sections 111/112, said Richman, adding that one of the males had his face painted.

One black, one white, one of which had their face painted :blink:

They could have been a little more specific about which one had the face painted.

Thats going to be the most confusing search ever. :rolleyes:

The incident deserves national attention, IMO. Here's an article from today's Philadelphia Daily News:

MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE the World Series is in town, but so far there hasn't been the familiar outcry about the "typical" Philadelphia fans that usually erupts after one of those all too-"typical" Philadelphia sports scenes that become legend and get listed right under "throw snowballs at Santa Claus."

In this case it was a flaming smoke bomb thrown onto the ice after a contested goal in overtime in Saturday's 3-2 Flyers win over New Jersey in the Wachovia Center. But can the noise be far behind?

It was an outrageous and dangerous act that covered the ice surface with smoke, chased the Devils' coaching staff from the bench and left the city with another fan-based black eye.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers...nst_Devils.html

Edited by 95Crash

Sorry, I don't know what happened. Something's wrong with the link. I tried pasting it here again. One second it works. The next second it does not. Luckily, I saved the part about the game. Here it is:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers...nst_Devils.html

Ed Moran: Flyers are incensed over smoke-bomb incident during game against Devils

By Ed Moran

Philadelphia Daily News

Daily News Sports Writer

MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE the World Series is in town, but so far there hasn't been the familiar outcry about the "typical" Philadelphia fans that usually erupts after one of those all too-"typical" Philadelphia sports scenes that become legend and get listed right under "throw snowballs at Santa Claus."

In this case it was a flaming smoke bomb thrown onto the ice after a contested goal in overtime in Saturday's 3-2 Flyers win over New Jersey in the Wachovia Center. But can the noise be far behind?

It was an outrageous and dangerous act that covered the ice surface with smoke, chased the Devils' coaching staff from the bench and left the city with another fan-based black eye.

"We were not happy," Comcast-Spectacor president Peter Luukko said yesterday. "That was as good a hockey game as can be played and it didn't need that. After all the talk last year about how tough our fans are to play in front of, we went to Washington in the playoffs and someone throws a beer bottle that hits Jeff Carter and in Montreal someone threw a beer into the penalty box that hit Mike Richards and nothing like that happened here. We were angry last night."

So angry, in fact, that the Flyers are conducting an investigation; there is video from security cameras showing two suspects running from the building.

The description being released is of two males about 6 feet tall. One is described as an African-American wearing a white Flyers jersey and a white male also wearing a Flyers jersey, with his face painted.

"We are working diligently to catch the culprit and hope to prosecute the person," Comcast-Spectacor president Peter Luukko said. "If we find that the person is a season ticketholder, we will permanently cancel their tickets."

[Moderators, this article goes on about other stuff. It is not the complete article. But if you feel you still need to delete it, I understand.]

Edited by 95Crash

Unsettled ownership was also a big reason the Rockies struggled so much. That led to constant changes at the GM and coaching positions, which led to instability and constant changes in philosophy. What's sad is that the Rockies actually had some good players on their teams.

Oh, the Rockies had some good players, but unfortunetly none came to NJ to start to form a solid core. Too bad the Devils didn't inherit players like McDonald and Beck to start. Not to mention the trade with the Islanders where the Islanders wound up drafting Lafontaine which would have been the Rockies spot.

This is revisionist history through rose-colored glasses to a certain extent. Lou did not "steal" Richer or Stastny...Lou gave up a very good player in Muller (and Rollie Melanson) to get Richer (and Chorske)...all Muller did was help Montreal win the Cup in 1993. It's not like Montreal got fleeced in that deal, and until the Devils won their Cup in 1995, with Richer playing well during that playoff run, it looked like Montreal had gotten the better end of that deal. Statsny was clearly near-finished by the time the Devils got him...he was OK for the stretch drive, but after waiting to sign him the following season the Devils got little of out him...Herb Brooks called his $700,00 contract "a heist" by the time the season was over. Lemieux was definitely a steal, and the dealing of Tom Kurvers for Toronto's first rounder was also terrific (and an indictment of how stupid Harold Ballard's Maple Leafs could be), although no one really thought Toronto was going to fall apart that much after having a solid '89-'90 season. What killed Toronto was Gary Leeman and others falling completely apart.

Try to trade a player like Muller who publically didn't want to be a Devil in today's NHL and you'll get back a draft pick at best or some minor leaguers as teams lose leverage something bad. It's a miracle Lou came back with Richer and Chroske. You do that deal 100% of the time no matter what Muller did in Montreal, which outside of 92-93 wasn't much to cry over losing him. In 1991-92, Muller's first year in MTL he had 77 points and Richer had 64 in 4 less games played. The 1st year of that trade nothing spectacular. The 2nd year, 92-93 Muller went nuts and had 94 points and MTL won the Cup, but his MTL career tailed off after and he was gone ain another season and a half. Richer, after the 1st Cup, suffered a similar fate with his Devils career and was gone. The only year the Devils "lost" on that trade was 1992-93 and the Devils made up for it in 1995 with the Cup, so it's a wash. Still, looking at Muller's MTL career and Richer's Devils career, i'd do that deal again. Richer played 350 games as a Devil and recorded 280 points, while Muller played in 267 games for MTL and recorded 247 points.

When Lou got Stastny, finished or not, he put up 2 solid 60+ point years and had a great playoff in 1992 vs the Rangers. His Devils career was 217 gp, 173 Pts and in 25 playoff games he recorded 24 points. If Lou could only trade for a "finished" player like that right now, Stastny provided much needed leadership and vet presence. They only gave up Wolanin, Velischek and Loiselle. That's a steal for a HOF player that was second to only Gretzky in points in the 1980's. Was Stastny done in 1992-93? Sure, that was a case of keeping a guy around just too long trying to milk blood from a stone. He gave the Devils 2 solid seasons and solid playoff performances. It was a steal of a deal.

They're 5-2-1. It's also harder to make deals now with the salary cap...who's taking White with his eye issue and length of contract? And if Gio's going to be dealt, I'd rather it happens after he scores some goals...right now he's not going to bring back a whole lot.

You know, i hate that 3rd column in the standings. It's a fvcking loss, so why don't the NHL record it as such? Oh, we know why....cosmetic purposes. The Devils are 5-3.

I never said White should be traded in my post. Most of us would be happy seeing him waived. LL would have NEVER kept a player with an injury such as White's on the roster this ineffective, nevermind in the lineup every night if this was 15-18 years ago. With the playoff series he had vs the Rangers, that would have sealed his fate, not to mention the lovely giveaways (for one, see Dallas game last week). Gionta should have been gone as far back as 06-07 when his value was alot higher and it was apparent he wasn't a 48 goal scorer for real, just like Gomez wasn't a 30 goal scorer. That brings me back to my point that if this was back in the day and Gionta scored 48 goals one year and 20 something the next, he'd be wearing another uniform that offseason such as Pat Verbeek did. Verbeek was gone after tailing off badly in 88-89, and he bitched about his contract. He wans't going to get paid like he wanted on that kind of production and he was rightfully jettisoned. Going from 46 goals to 26 and a -18 will get you a new playing address no matter how the rest of his career turned out after. So, Lou, what's the difference in trading one and not the other almost 20 years later based on production?

Brian Gionta of 05-06 isn't walking through that door as much as i beg and pray he does. Nothing would make me happier then to be worng about that. Believe me, that's my prayer, just for him to score 30.

Edited by SJP20

Try to trade a player like Muller who publically didn't want to be a Devil in today's NHL and you'll get back a draft pick at best or some minor leaguers as teams lose leverage something bad. It's a miracle Lou came back with Richer and Chroske. You do that deal 100% of the time no matter what Muller did in Montreal, which outside of 92-93 wasn't much to cry over losing him. In 1991-92, Muller's first year in MTL he had 77 points and Richer had 64 in 4 less games played. The 1st year of that trade nothing spectacular. The 2nd year, 92-93 Muller went nuts and had 94 points and MTL won the Cup, but his MTL career tailed off after and he was gone ain another season and a half. Richer, after the 1st Cup, suffered a similar fate with his Devils career and was gone. The only year the Devils "lost" on that trade was 1992-93 and the Devils made up for it in 1995 with the Cup, so it's a wash. Still, looking at Muller's MTL career and Richer's Devils career, i'd do that deal again. Richer played 350 games as a Devil and recorded 280 points, while Muller played in 267 games for MTL and recorded 247 points.

Today's NHL is much different. The salary cap controls all. Back in those days, a guy like Muller could've probably gone just about anywhere. He also could've sat out a year, as players did back then (and do less so now, though now they go to Russia). There was a much larger trade market when a legitimate 1st line center is up for trade - now, trades are all determined by who has the cap space available now and in years down the road. Your Muller/Richer comparison is off-base, though I would do the deal too, Muller and Richer's decline both have to be looked at in the larger context of the NHL dropoff in scoring. It's also fair to look at the return for both players in trade - Richer netted an overrated Lyle Odelein, whereas Muller and Schneider got Montreal a then-flagging Pierre Turgeon and Vladimir Malakhov.

I never said White should be traded in my post. Most of us would be happy seeing him waived. LL would have NEVER kept a player with an injury such as White's on the roster this ineffective, nevermind in the lineup every night if this was 15-18 years ago. With the playoff series he had vs the Rangers, that would have sealed his fate, not to mention the lovely giveaways (for one, see Dallas game last week). Gionta should have been gone as far back as 06-07 when his value was alot higher and it was apparent he wasn't a 48 goal scorer for real, just like Gomez wasn't a 30 goal scorer. That brings me back to my point that if this was back in the day and Gionta scored 48 goals one year and 20 something the next, he'd be wearing another uniform that offseason such as Pat Verbeek did. Verbeek was gone after tailing off badly in 88-89, and he bitched about his contract. He wans't going to get paid like he wanted on that kind of production and he was rightfully jettisoned. Going from 46 goals to 26 and a -18 will get you a new playing address no matter how the rest of his career turned out after. So, Lou, what's the difference in trading one and not the other almost 20 years later based on production?

What's the difference? About a million things. First of all, the salary cap and the need to have a budget. If the Devils bought out Colin White's contract, they would've been looking at 8 years where they had 1 million dollars on the cap in dead weight. So the equation becomes - is paying $12 million to a player over 4 years better than buying him out and paying him 8 million dollars to go away, or to waive him, risking the possibility that no one picks him up and that the team would be paying 3 million dollars in dead weight for the rest of the season? And what can 3 million dollars get you on the free agent market these days? Not much at all. And this is even assuming that Colin White is unfit to play defense for the Devils, which he isn't.

As for Gionta, it's difficult and somewhat pointless to trade a player who is going to be UFA - you get pennies on the dollar for what you're trading away. He's as good as gone next year - I will be utterly shocked (and outraged) if Gionta is a Devil next season, but shipping him out now is pure spite, nothing more. Everyone knows the 48 goal Gionta isn't coming back. The Devils just have to make do with him for this year, hope he can increase his production some, and move on with Bergfors or Halischuk next season.

And by the way, the Verbeek deal is one of Lou's absolute worst, and the only saving grace was that he managed to nab Claude Lemieux the next season. But that kind of trade market is gone. It still exists in baseball, but trading is no longer a paramount skill for a general manager to have - and Lou was one of the best at it - the game is now about free agency, drafting, and being able to ask questions like the one I did above. The two days where there are trades are at the draft, and at the trade deadline, and that's about it now.

I'm not a Gionta fan, and White's play since his eye injury has disappointed me. But trading them or getting rid of them would not solve any problems, it would just create new ones.

Edited by Triumph

When Lou got Stastny, finished or not, he put up 2 solid 60+ point years and had a great playoff in 1992 vs the Rangers. His Devils career was 217 gp, 173 Pts and in 25 playoff games he recorded 24 points. If Lou could only trade for a "finished" player like that right now, Stastny provided much needed leadership and vet presence. They only gave up Wolanin, Velischek and Loiselle. That's a steal for a HOF player that was second to only Gretzky in points in the 1980's. Was Stastny done in 1992-93? Sure, that was a case of keeping a guy around just too long trying to milk blood from a stone. He gave the Devils 2 solid seasons and solid playoff performances. It was a steal of a deal.

You know, i hate that 3rd column in the standings. It's a fvcking loss, so why don't the NHL record it as such? Oh, we know why....cosmetic purposes. The Devils are 5-3.

Brian Gionta of 05-06 isn't walking through that door as much as i beg and pray he does. Nothing would make me happier then to be worng about that. Believe me, that's my prayer, just for him to score 30.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful here, but be honest...were you really watching the Devils and the NHL back in the late 80s-early 90s? For one, Claude Loiselle was NOT part of the Statsny deal...Loiselle had already been dealt with Joe Cirella for Walt Poddubny. I also think what you're doing to an extent is looking up player numbers and making the mistake of comparing the stats back then to the stats of today. 60-or-so points is a pretty good total for a forward today (look how we all fawn over Zach Parise), but back when Peter Statsny was a Devil, it was absolutely nothing to crow about. He was simply a former star who was well past his prime, and his contributions to the Devils were nothing special. I'm sure there are Devil fans who look up Sylvain Turgeon's 30 goals in 72 GP in his lone season ('89-'90) and think he was pretty good. I can tell you that he was damn near invisible that year, and that 30 goal-scorers were not a big deal back then. And Tri is right...that Verbeek-for-Turgeon deal ranks as one of Lou's absolute worst. Just like Claude Lemieux for Turgeon is right up there on Montreal's worst deal list.

As for the Muller-Richer deal, in your previous post you called it a steal, then in your next called it a wash. Which is it? I think when stacked up against each other it was a wash, especially since Chorske provided more for the Devils than Melanson did for the Devils. As far as Muller and Richer, I'd say Muller was more consistent and Richer more dynamic (though more sullen and moody, although back then we didn't know about his depression issues). Muller was more productive on a point-per-game basis, but Richer's PPG numbers are hurt by his horrific last season before he was traded back to Montreal. At any rate, overall it was one of those rare deals that worked out for both teams. But it wasn't a miracle that Lou found comparable value...it was easier to pull off deals back then, and Muller definitely had trade value.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful here, but be honest...were you really watching the Devils and the NHL back in the late 80s-early 90s? For one, Claude Loiselle was NOT part of the Statsny deal...Loiselle had already been dealt with Joe Cirella for Walt Poddubny.

Sorry, i was trying to type this at work in a professional job and talk hockey. Tough combo. I guess you've never made a mistake, huh?

You were being disrespectful questioning how long i've been a Devils fan. I don't agree with you and i made a mistake, but it doesn't take a whole lot of class to do what you did. How do i know how long you've been a fan? Because you put "Colorado Rockies" in your user name and correct a trade mistake? Please. For all i know you could have become fan in 1995. How about i put Tapio Levo in my username and we'll have a pissing contest about Rocky Trottier and how big of a bust he was? I'm 34 you're 38, trust me pal, we've seen both the dark days and the good days.

You do not know me personally to make any judgments, and I'll guarantee you i've seen my fair share of games from 1984 (my 1st game)-1994 along with you or other fans who claim to be there in the dark days/pre-Cups. I quit the Devils fan club clique after 15 seasons because of people like you and your attitudes toward other fans and other general bullsh!t. You're probably one of them :wacko:

I know i jump on the teenage fan base because i know what'll happen when Marty is gone and this team struggles for a term, but some of the fellow, older Devils fans from back in the day seem to have taken an air of snobbyness and superiority towards other fans even ones that have been there as long as they have. It's like you people think you're owed a banner like in Vancouver.

So how does one prove who has been a Devils fan longer? Memorabila? Ticket stubs? Testimonies? lie detector tests?

Edited by SJP20

Sorry, i was trying to type this at work in a professional job and talk hockey. Tough combo. I guess you've never made a mistake, huh?

You were being disrespectful questioning how long i've been a Devils fan. I don't agree with you and i made a mistake, but it doesn't take a whole lot of class to do what you did. How do i know how long you've been a fan? Because you put "Colorado Rockies" in your user name and correct a trade mistake? Please. For all i know you could have become fan in 1995. How about i put Tapio Levo in my username and we'll have a pissing contest about Rocky Trottier and how big of a bust he was? I'm 34 you're 38, trust me pal, we've seen both the dark days and the good days.

You do not know me personally to make any judgments, and I'll guarantee you i've seen my fair share of games from 1984 (my 1st game)-1994 along with you or other fans who claim to be there in the dark days/pre-Cups. I quit the Devils fan club clique after 15 seasons because of people like you and your attitudes toward other fans and other general bullsh!t. You're probably one of them :wacko:

I know i jump on the teenage fan base because i know what'll happen when Marty is gone and this team struggles for a term, but some of the fellow, older Devils fans from back in the day seem to have taken an air of snobbyness and superiority towards other fans even ones that have been there as long as they have. It's like you people think you're owed a banner like in Vancouver.

So how does one prove who has been a Devils fan longer? Memorabila? Ticket stubs? Testimonies? lie detector tests?

Wow...overreact much? All I did was ask you a simple question. No reason to throw such a tantrum over it. All I did is ask if you were a fan back in the late 80s-early 90s and to be honest about it. No personal attacks on my end. But one simple little question and you have yourself a lil' thrombeau. Geez.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Wow...overreact much? All I did was ask you a simple question. No reason to throw such a tantrum over it. All I did is ask if you were a fan back in the late 80s-early 90s and to be honest about it. No personal attacks on my end. But one simple little question and you have yourself a lil' thrombeau. Geez.

"I'm not trying to be disrespectful here, but be honest...were you really watching the Devils and the NHL back in the late 80s-early 90s?"

That's how you phrase questions to fellow fans that disagree with you or have a difference of opinion? As i said, sounds like the MO of the Devils Fan Club LOL! :hah:

You're old enough to know never question how long someone's been a fan in a discussion and perhaps you won't have to worry about anyone overreacting to it.

Case closed on my end. We're all Devils fans.

Edited by SJP20