Bettman calls Avery remarks disgusting

Biggie B

"Speaking to a luncheon crowd, Bettman said Avery’s remark offended him as a parent. “To be perfectly honest I wouldn’t want to have to explain to my 12-year-old daughter what he said,” the commissioner said."

Wait, did he just say that out loud? He is worried about explaining to his daughter what "sloppy seconds" means? Hey genius, how about the fact that your daughter is watching a sport where two guys punch each other in the face till exhaustion? I hate Avery as much as the next guy, but the NHL is making a mockery of itself. This is what you justify suspending him for? Bettman does realize that people actually read what he says, right? Just sad...

"Co-general manager Brett Hull said Sunday that Avery was in a 10-day, voluntary program that could be extended if counselors determine he needs a longer stay."

A 10-day stay? This is just the icing on the cake. That should take care of all the anger issues that don't exist. Can this look any more like a circus act?

I would just like to thank the NHL for bringing itself into the spotlight. I have heard about this Avery fiasco from what seems like the least probably sources and they are all laughing at the NHL's decision. Congrats again. Job well done!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-b...p&type=lgns

Edited by Biggie B

I should use that avatar again where it says the NHL is a circus act or a joke or whatever it said (dont remember)..Bettman actually said the same thing on WFAN radio last week about "having to explain what it mean to his daughter.." yatta yatta

Now that I think about it, I probably shouldn't even have mention the whole thing about fighting. If Bettman reads this thread, he might get the wrong idea. :evil:

I should use that avatar again where it says the NHL is a circus act or a joke or whatever it said (dont remember)..Bettman actually said the same thing on WFAN radio last week about "having to explain what it mean to his daughter.." yatta yatta

I knew what that meant when I was 8. If his daughter doesn't understand the pharase "sloppy seconds" at 12, then she needs to wake up.

I don't know why people keep focusing on this one incident/comment. It's pretty obvious that the league has become sick of having a 3rd liner spend his entire career lamely trying to create controversy to focus an undeserved spotlight on himself to the distraction of actually talented and charismatic players. And the Stars don't care that he said 'sloppy seconds', they just want to remove a locker room cancer at the earliest possible opportunity.

I don't know why people keep focusing on this one incident/comment. It's pretty obvious that the league has become sick of having a 3rd liner spend his entire career lamely trying to create controversy to focus an undeserved spotlight on himself to the distraction of actually talented and charismatic players. And the Stars don't care that he said 'sloppy seconds', they just want to remove a locker room cancer at the earliest possible opportunity.

I would agree with you, Vinnie if the NHL actually made an effort to promote its talented and charismatic players. Since they don't, Avery's antics don't take away the nonexistent spotlight from anyone.

Exactly. People can

Thats still pathetic that THAT was the final straw.. it should've been last year in the playoffs for that bullsh!t he pulled in front of Marty and his comments.

Technically, what Avery did in front of Marty was within the rules. It wasn't the most sportsmanlike thing to do, but it was technically legal. What was pathetic was that NO ONE in a Devils jersey (other than Marty throwing a few stick jabs while trying to watch the puck) did anything to stop him. His own teammate, Drury, had to skate over and tell him to knock it off.

His comments about Marty, on the record, was that he was fat. The other stuff was behind the scenes. If you look at Avery's history, this 'sloppy seconds' thing makes sense as the final straw.

He allegedly called Laraque a 'monkey', publicly berated a Kings assistant coach and Brian Heyward, injured DiPietro (not that that's difficult), publicly berated a legend in the making in Brodeur, publicly berated Jerome Iginla, who is 100 times the hockey player Avery will ever be, and then sought out a camera man to say his planned attack on Phanuef.

Those were just off the top of my head, but I think when the NHL realized this wasn't going to go away, they had to do something. When he speaks, as an NHL Player, he is a representative of the league. 'Fatso' ain't so bad. Insulting an actress who supports the league by referring to her as 'sloppy seconds' is very very bad. Bringing sex into it is a big no-no when you want to market to kids.

Technically, what Avery did in front of Marty was within the rules. It wasn't the most sportsmanlike thing to do, but it was technically legal. What was pathetic was that NO ONE in a Devils jersey (other than Marty throwing a few stick jabs while trying to watch the puck) did anything to stop him. His own teammate, Drury, had to skate over and tell him to knock it off.

His comments about Marty, on the record, was that he was fat. The other stuff was behind the scenes. If you look at Avery's history, this 'sloppy seconds' thing makes sense as the final straw.

He allegedly called Laraque a 'monkey', publicly berated a Kings assistant coach and Brian Heyward, injured DiPietro (not that that's difficult), publicly berated a legend in the making in Brodeur, publicly berated Jerome Iginla, who is 100 times the hockey player Avery will ever be, and then sought out a camera man to say his planned attack on Phanuef.

Those were just off the top of my head, but I think when the NHL realized this wasn't going to go away, they had to do something. When he speaks, as an NHL Player, he is a representative of the league. 'Fatso' ain't so bad. Insulting an actress who supports the league by referring to her as 'sloppy seconds' is very very bad. Bringing sex into it is a big no-no when you want to market to kids.

IIRC that was because the Rangers were on a powerplay or 5-on-3 at the time, so the Devils couldn't do anything. However I do agree with you that the Devils should have pummelled him once it got back to 5-on-5.

OK, not a big deal, but I believe my owner was in fact 12 when she first heard the expression - from the movie Grease. "no thanks Rizzo, Sloppy second's not my style" It's the kind of comment 12 year olds love because they feel all naughty understanding it. When grown ups hear the expression they thing "Wohp - SOMEone got dumped"

OK, not a big deal, but I believe my owner was in fact 12 when she first heard the expression - from the movie Grease. "no thanks Rizzo, Sloppy second's not my style" It's the kind of comment 12 year olds love because they feel all naughty understanding it. When grown ups hear the expression they thing "Wohp - SOMEone got dumped"

A semen joke was in Grease?

I guess what has become culturally acceptable in kids' musicals has changed over time. I don't think they would use that line today.

Or maybe the true meaning of the phrase hadn't really spread though a culture. It'd be like if High School Musical 4 had a big musical number about a Rusty Trombone. Maybe it goes over enough heads to get past censors.

The dog quoted the line for you. John travolta said it...

I just looked it up - I dont think Grease was meant for kids I pasted a few other quotes too.

Danny: You're looking good, Riz.

Rizzo: Eat your heart out.

Danny: But sloppy seconds ain't my style.

Danny: Oh, bite the weenie, Riz.

Rizzo: With relish.

Rizzo: Where are you goin'? To flog your log?

Danny: Much better then hanging around here with you dorks.