Renney OUT!

Colorado Rockies 1976

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1. I just hope they don't hire Tortorella- that would be the guy that makes the most sense.

IMO Torts isn't that good of a coach, knows nothing of defense and forget about goaltending.

It would be fitting if they did hire him though, it's not like I don't hate the Rangers enough as it is, but if he gets hired it would increase it tenfold. I utterly detest Torts, he's a total R-sole.

It's rarely the coach. And for that matter, it's rarely a coach who makes a difference.

But it does happen. I don't think we win the Cup in 2000 without Larry.

As for Renney, it was time. No, the Rangers are not that good but getting the team to give their best effort every night is the coaches job and the Rangers weren't doing that on a consistent basis.

Even it doesn't work, Renney's time was up. He has been there a long time as far as coaches go.

from TSN: "Renney was named as a finalist for the Jack Adams award as the league's top coach in his first year as New York finished sixth in the Eastern Conference and a first round playoff sweep of the Atlanta Thrashers. "

lol no. they got swept by New Jersey that year. then did that pathetic raising sticks after a win thing even though they'd just lost embarrassingly.

one thing that's pretty amazing about the rangers season is that they are terrible and they've had almost no injuries.

Edited by Triumph

This was the problem with this year's Ranger group: no true @ssholes. I mean this team has always had some of the most detestable players on it for ages now, such as Messier, Barnaby, Tikkanen, Samuelson, Beukegoon, Fleury, Hollweg, Avery, and others that I'm probably forgetting. This year's team has Voros. Woo. An injection of Avery and Tortorella will be more than enough to hate and could get them into the playoffs on ego alone.

Not now obviously but maybe next season.

IMO Renney should get another shot in the NHL, and soon. He took a team full of primadonas and got them to buy into a team-first system (the fact that once those primadonas left and new ones came in the system collapsed is beside the point ... he was asked to squeeze blood from two different stones, so to speak, and Sather should be publicly flogged for asking him to do so). Smart hockey people should know that this mess is Sather's fault, not Renney's, and he should get a big league job next season.

If he doesn't, however, I still don't see him in Lowell. Going from Broadway to Hockey Purgatory, Mass., is not a flattering career path.

ESPN Radio is also listing Schonfeld along with Torts as possible replacements. I like Schonfeld as a coach.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=268369&amp...s=topStory_main

That took long....

Sources say the New York Rangers and John Tortorella have an agreement in place that would make him the next head coach of the NHL team, but that the Tampa Bay Lightning have not yet been contacted for permission.

A current NHL on TSN analyst, Tortorella remains under contract to the Lightning for the balance of this season. In order for him to become head coach of the Rangers, he requires the blessing of the Lightning.

IMO Renney should get another shot in the NHL, and soon. He took a team full of primadonas and got them to buy into a team-first system (the fact that once those primadonas left and new ones came in the system collapsed is beside the point ... he was asked to squeeze blood from two different stones, so to speak, and Sather should be publicly flogged for asking him to do so). Smart hockey people should know that this mess is Sather's fault, not Renney's, and he should get a big league job next season.

If he doesn't, however, I still don't see him in Lowell. Going from Broadway to Hockey Purgatory, Mass., is not a flattering career path.

He'll get another chance. It fell apart this year in New York, but he did take his team to the playoffs three straight seasons that hadn't made the playoffs in seven years. That's an impressive enough resume that someone will give him a shot.

ESPN Radio is also listing Schonfeld along with Torts as possible replacements. I like Schonfeld as a coach.

Schoenfeld has been a guy who's been a good short-term turn-it-around type in the past...looks like Torts is going to be the guy in New York.

I don't know why, but for some reason I could see the Fonz doing a good job for them short-term.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

LaGreca just tried to rationalize that the Rangers have a perfectly legit chance to win the East if they make the playoffs since they'd be the only team without a goaltending question mark...that must have been so hard for LaGreca to say that with a straight face, I would guess he doesn't really think that. :lol: The Rangers would obviously have some chance if they made the playoffs, just like any team does, but it wouldn't be a great chance based on their play so far this year.

Why do they need the lightnings permission, didn't they fire him?

When you fire someone with a guaranteed contract they're still your teams. So Torts could be sitting at home, doing nothing and getting paid, or he could be scouting for their team and things like that. Either way Torts is still under control as long as he's getting paid.