Devils attendance climbs for the third year in a row

DEATHtoGOMEZ

19th in the league in percentage (Eastern Conference's All-Star Game sellout doesn't count). It's a step in the right direction.

I don't see why percentage should be the measuring stick unless you are like Edmonton or Pittsburgh where you sell out every game and have a very small arena. The Devils at 24th in total attendance is an accurate representation.

I think it has more to do with the teams in our division having strong attendance. I think that might explain why the Isles have such good road attendance as well.

except that the islanders have miserable attendance and we're in their division. the devils always have very strong road attendance.

I don't see why percentage should be the measuring stick unless you are like Edmonton or Pittsburgh where you sell out every game and have a very small arena. The Devils at 24th in total attendance is an accurate representation.

Because sellouts don't bump up our total attendance numbers as much as it would for a bigger arena. Unless you're ranking attendance by arena size, percentage is the way to go.

Because sellouts don't bump up our total attendance numbers as much as it would for a bigger arena. Unless you're ranking attendance by arena size, percentage is the way to go.

especially since they're not allowed to "overage" with standing room like some buildings can.

except that the islanders have miserable attendance and we're in their division. the devils always have very strong road attendance.

Except the Devils played the Isles in Long Island 3 times and all of those games were on a Saturday. One of them was sold out, while the other two were very close. Obviously playing the Rangers, Flyers, and Penquins combining for 9 sellouts help the overall numbers. I am not saying the Devils are a bad draw but that certainly helps.

And DIG, I completely disagree with you. My point is that we both know the Devils sellouts came from Rangers games, Habs games, win records and stuff like that. This arena isn't stopping fans from getting more than 17,625. Most fans know that a lot of the sellouts aren't even real sellouts because some of those club seats are never getting sold anyway.

I don't get how percentage is the way to go. So if the Devils arena was held 16,800 like in Edmonton we could say the the the stadium is at 93% capacity. Maybe if the arena held 16,000, we could say it was at almost 99% capacity.

There is no way one can say because the Devils arena is smaller, they had more impressive attendance numbers than the Hurricanes, even though the Canes averaged almost 1000 people more a game.

You can't look totally at pure attendance numbers, but ranking based on percentage isn't the best thing either.

Edited by devilsrule33

Except the Devils played the Isles iin Long Island 3 times and all of those games were on a Saturday. One of them was sold out, while the other two were very close. Obviously playing the Rangers, Flyers, and Penquins combining for 9 sellouts help the overall numbers. I am not saying the Devils are a bad draw but that certainly helps.

that's a good point, but go back some years. the devils have been top 10 in road attendance all but twice since 2001. there are always devils jerseys in the crowd of any arena they go to - this is a result of the new jersey diaspora.

And DIG, I completely disagree with you. My point is that we both know the Devils sellouts came from Rangers games, Habs games, win records and stuff like that. This arena isn't stopping fans from getting more than 17,625. Most fans know that a lot of the sellouts aren't even real sellouts because some of those club seats are never getting sold anyway.

sure it is. if the arena were 19,040, those games sell out as well.

There is no way one can say because the Devils arena is smaller, they had more impressive attendance numbers than the Hurricanes, even though the Canes averaged almost 1000 people more a game.

absolutely they can, their revenues were undoubtedly higher than the hurricanes.

Edited by Triumph

Youre way off here. How can you say its ok for Pitt or Edmonton but not Jersey?

Percentage is the measuring stick you use. You cannot penalize the Devils for having a smaller building. They cant draw 19,000+ like a St Louis or LA, or Carolina, so their attendance will always be lower. BUT, thats not determinant of crowd support during the year. Im sure if our arena's capacity was 19-20K that we'd have a few of those crowds. Pens arena holds slightly less than ours anyway.

I don't get how percentage is the way to go. So if the Devils arena was held 16,800 like in Edmonton we could say the the the stadium is at 93% capacity. Maybe if the arena held 16,000, we could say it was at almost 99% capacity.

You can't look totally at pure attendance numbers, but ranking based on percentage isn't the best thing either.

It sounds like a basic difference in how we see the way attendance should be measured. You see it as pure numbers ... draw more people and you're on top. I think it should be relative. The Devils could sell out every home game but still not be on top if you're going by pure numbers, but if you're going by percentage they'll get their due. Teams are smart enough to build arenas with their relative fan bases' size in mind. I don't think we should be held to the same standard as Montreal, so the fact that it's impossible for us to draw 22,000 people to a game shouldn't hurt our rank IMO. Meanwhile, a team owner would probably disagree with both of us and say the only thing that matters is gate revenue (which the Devils have been doing very, very well with since moving to Newark). It's all about perspective.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

This year I hit about 12 more games because of the $65 seat discounts and the $25s. Plus any friends I brought with me. Since the $25s are $35 next year I will be at less games. The $10 difference adds up. No biggie it is what it is....I'll just look for more ticket offers.

The Devils will never avg 17k and up. I think the $ per game is their bottom line, not seats sold. They would rather sell 1 seat for $100 with an empty next to it than to sell 2 seats $50 each.

It's like the movies. More people saw Star Wars, ET, and Jaws compared to recent blockbusters, but since the recent blockbuster charged more for the ticket, a smaller crowd generates the bigger $ale$.