Maurice: We need to do a better job on Parise

Rock

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/04...-on-parise.html

"We need to do a better job on him," Hurricanes coach Paul Maurice said today. "I'm not so sure that necessarily means he needs a shadow. It's just that when he has the puck, he seems to be able to hold onto it a lot longer than we'd like. We'd like the players to have to move the puck once they get it, but part of that is this player is not an average hockey player in the league. He's very, very gifted offensively and he's got a great work ethic, so taking the puck from him wasn't something that other teams were able to do over the 82-game regular season and I don't think it's going to be any easier in the playoffs for us."

"He's got a good stick," Eric Staal said of Parise. "He's got two tip-in goals just from the high slot area. He comes through there and you've got to be aware of him. You've got to be aware of his stick. Guys that score that many goals during the year, they find those areas and they find the puck, so you've got to make sure you're tying up his stick and being hard on him, being physical, not making it an easy night. We've got to make sure we're a little bit more aware of him than we have been."

Now we need to be on gaurd, they'll either shadow him (regardless of what Maurice said) or they'll get heavy handed and start running/cheapshotting him.

Either way it's a win-win situation. If they over-focus on Zach, that'll free up someone else. if they run him, we'll get powerplays.

Fix the powerplay Sutter and we'll have the Canes bang to rights.

Now we need to be on gaurd, they'll either shadow him (regardless of what Maurice said) or they'll get heavy handed and start running/cheapshotting him.

Either way it's a win-win situation. If they over-focus on Zach, that'll free up someone else. if they run him, we'll get powerplays.

Fix the powerplay Sutter and we'll have the Canes bang to rights.

How is taking away our (at times) only player capable of scoring goals a win win? If they successfully shut down Parise, all we have to look forward to as a result is Elias staring at the ceiling an extra 5 times a game.

Edited by metallidevils

How is taking away our (at times) only player capable of scoring goals? If they successfully shut down Parise, all we have to look forward to as a result is Elias staring at the ceiling an extra 5 times a game.

Addition by subtraction sir. With the Canes so focused on Parise it'll leave other forwards wide open, not just Elias.

Have a little faith sir. IMO this tactic by the Canes will blow up in their face, It's a recipe for disaster aka elimination in 5 games.

Let 'em focus on Zack, while our other fowards fill their net with frozen rubber.

I can't imagine what its like to be a fan against the Devils in the playoffs. I'd be scared every time I saw Parise on the ice. His ability to find open ice and always be around rebounds is scary. He has the best instincts of any forward I've ever seen play for the Devils.

I can't imagine what its like to be a fan against the Devils in the playoffs. I'd be scared every time I saw Parise on the ice. His ability to find open ice and always be around rebounds is scary. He has the best instincts of any forward I've ever seen play for the Devils.

I'm a 'Canes fan, and honestly, Parise does scare me a good bit when he's on the ice. The problem that we're having, IMO, is that at least half of our defensive lineup each game consists of offensive defensemen, not close-checking shut-down types of guys. We have two D-men who are consistently good at that - Wallin and Gleason. The other guys were brought in primarily to be puckhandlers on the powerplay. I'm not saying they're awful at defense (though they have been at times this series), but a guy like Parise can easily exploit them. What the 'Canes need is a return to defensemen actually playing defense. I hope Coach Maurice worked with them on this during the day off.

I'm a 'Canes fan, and honestly, Parise does scare me a good bit when he's on the ice. The problem that we're having, IMO, is that at least half of our defensive lineup each game consists of offensive defensemen, not close-checking shut-down types of guys. We have two D-men who are consistently good at that - Wallin and Gleason. The other guys were brought in primarily to be puckhandlers on the powerplay. I'm not saying they're awful at defense (though they have been at times this series), but a guy like Parise can easily exploit them. What the 'Canes need is a return to defensemen actually playing defense. I hope Coach Maurice worked with them on this during the day off.

Parise is such a different player these last two years then he was in his rookie season. He reminds me a lot of Joe Sakic on how he is always moving around and finds those open pockets of space to make his plays. I think Maurice got it right by not so much shadowing him and focusing primarily on him, but rather taking away his options and giving him less time. Faster mobile defensemen are actually better suited for handling Parise then slow physical defensemen.

We got like 20, slow, mediocre, shut down defenseman. Wanna trade?

Parise is such a different player these last two years then he was in his rookie season. He reminds me a lot of Joe Sakic on how he is always moving around and finds those open pockets of space to make his plays. I think Maurice got it right by not so much shadowing him and focusing primarily on him, but rather taking away his options and giving him less time. Faster mobile defensemen are actually better suited for handling Parise then slow physical defensemen.

True, you need speed on defense. But our fast guys just are not all that physical at times. Plus, although they might have speed (Pitkanen), they don't always seem to know how to position themselves, or where the puck is going to be - can't do that against a guy like Parise. It's not so much a lack of physicality as a lack of awareness and the ability to do things like poke-check.

Edited by Duke_Hurricane