One other thing . . .

smelly

This series made it painfully clear that Colin White is nowhere near the (consistently inconsistent) player he was before his unfortunate eye injury. He was unceasingly horrible in this series, most notably (although far from exclusively) on the fourth and second Canes goals last nite, and on the first goal in Game 6. What is worse is that Lou gave him that contract right before he was injured, which means he is way overpaid for what he brings to the table these days. If I am Lou, I do everything I can to move the guy, and (remember it's not my money -- or, more specifically, since I am a STH it is only some of my money) if there are no takers I eat his contract by Matvichuking him (sending him to Lowell) and free up more cap space to solidify the horribly weak D.

colin white has a no-trade clause, he isn't going anywhere. sending him to lowell isn't happening either, the devils don't have that kind of money, and it's not worth it as colin white is clearly an nhl-level player.

one thing that's being lost in all this is just how outstanding the penalty kill was. i mean, carolina had a lethal power play coming down the stretch and new jersey stifled it, and beyond that, they quashed a 5 on 3 last night too. i thought white's play on the PK was exemplary - his play at even strength was not.

This series made it painfully clear that Colin White is nowhere near the (consistently inconsistent) player he was before his unfortunate eye injury. He was unceasingly horrible in this series, most notably (although far from exclusively) on the fourth and second Canes goals last nite, and on the first goal in Game 6. What is worse is that Lou gave him that contract right before he was injured, which means he is way overpaid for what he brings to the table these days. If I am Lou, I do everything I can to move the guy, and (remember it's not my money -- or, more specifically, since I am a STH it is only some of my money) if there are no takers I eat his contract by Matvichuking him (sending him to Lowell) and free up more cap space to solidify the horribly weak D.

Hmm, I remember typing the same thing about White last year...

colin white is clearly an nhl-level player.

But that's not the test -- the test is whether what he brings is worth what he costs given the Devils needs and cap situation going forward. Players typically consider waiving NTCs where they are told that they have no viable future with an organization, so I wouldn't rule it out. Vanderbeek decides whether Lowell is an option if White won't budge.

Fair point about the PK.

Edited by smelly

But that's not the test -- the test is whether what he brings is worth what he costs given the Devils needs and cap situation going forward. Players typically consider waiving NTCs where they are told that they have no viable future with an organization, so I wouldn't rule it out. Vanderbeek decides whether Lowell is an option if White won't budge.

no, that isn't the test either. i don't think the devils cannot afford in these economic times to let $3 million sit out.

Yea... Colin White could be a little better....

But he was no where nearly as bad as Havelid.... Havelid is Awful.... He could have stopped that 3rd goal by simply stretching his stick out in the slot and tipping that pass...

I've said it since they got him.... he has hurt them ever since being acquired.

If I saw Niclas Havelid walking down the street, I would run him over.

Everyone is hard on him, he is a decent defenseman. There is always an adjustment period when getting new guys back there on the blueline. A full training camp and a full regular season would make him alot stronger for next year's playoffs

Yea... Colin White could be a little better....

But he was no where nearly as bad as Havelid.... Havelid is Awful.... He could have stopped that 3rd goal by simply stretching his stick out in the slot and tipping that pass...

I've said it since they got him.... he has hurt them ever since being acquired.

I totally agree with you on that! :whistling:

no, that isn't the test either. i don't think the devils cannot afford in these economic times to let $3 million sit out.

that is exactly the test, since the element you claim somehow distinguishes your point (the cost of eating White's contract in Lowell) is already captured in what I wrote (i.e., "what he costs . . .")

Colin White is only a compliment player who plays well with excellent players (namely Niedermayer). He can't rely upon being a the best of the pair. IN order to make White a good bargain, we need to sign a good-caliber d-man to play along side with him (Bouwmeester and Niedermayer)

Everyone is hard on him, he is a decent defenseman. There is always an adjustment period when getting new guys back there on the blueline. A full training camp and a full regular season would make him alot stronger for next year's playoffs

Age is Problem with Havelid he's 36 ! Slow ! Whitey is 31, Slow, Salvador is 33 Slow. None of these 3 Defense have any Offensive upside. Let alone any decent puck handling or passing skills. Horrible !

What did you expect from a shot blocking defenseman in a system where you're not allowed to block shots?? :P