Lemaire says "other moves" will be made; Halischuk #16

msweet

Interesting item from tonight's pre-game media notes. Right wing Matt Halischuk's number has been changed from 63 to 16.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire claimed to be unaware of the change. Inthe past, such a number change signifies that a player has made theteam, but the Devils still have one more cut to make to get down to the23-man limit by 3 p.m. Wednesday.

"We're getting there," Lemaire said this afternoon. "I think the next decision will be made in the next couple of days."

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/09/lemaire-says-there-are-still-roster-decisions-to-be-made.html

an interesting quote from Chere at the Star Ledger

Pelley has won the final center spot rather than Sestito.

"We had to make a decision," Lamoriello explained. "Pelley is ahead of him, so he's going down."

I am wondering whether Lou had to keep Pelley on the roster even though Sestito was better..sort of a loyalty thing as well as Lou publicly praising Pelley

I would love to see Halischuk only if he's given a chance to play with talent. It would be pointless to keep him on a line with pando and pelley for the whole year. As I said before spliting time with Shanny on the 3rd line with Zubs and Bergfors/Clarkson would be freakin sweet

I kinda like the idea of our fourth line being Pando-Pelley-Halischuk for certain games and Peters-Pelley-P3L for others. A physical fourth line for certain matchups, and ... um ... a fourth line that gives us a reason to keep paying Pandolfo and gives Halischuk some ice time. Damn. This sounded a lot better before I tried to reason it out.

I kinda like the idea of our fourth line being Pando-Pelley-Halischuk for certain games and Peters-Pelley-P3L for others. A physical fourth line for certain matchups, and ... um ... a fourth line that gives us a reason to keep paying Pandolfo and gives Halischuk some ice time. Damn. This sounded a lot better before I tried to reason it out.

I see what you're saying and that does sound good, but keep in mind that the fourth line isn't going to be a lot of minutes game in and game out, and switching a fourth line around that much seems kinda silly, considering the small amount of ice time they're going to be getting anyway. I think Lou's looking to trade Halischuk, but I could be wrong.

I am wondering whether Lou had to keep Pelley on the roster even though Sestito was better..sort of a loyalty thing as well as Lou publicly praising Pelley

Keeping him on the big team, so he can maybe trade him -- in a package deal or something -- later on?

also lou should claim cal o'reilly from nashville and give him a shot.

Yeah he seems like a descent pick up, 3rd line center/ able to fill in on the 2nd line from time to time. It would be a welcomed addition in my opinion.

Also good for Halischuk, I've been a fan of his and hope to see what he is all about.

I'd like to see him grow his offensive game in the minors if he's not going to get a top 9 shot this year. Playing with pando and pelley would do more harm than good imo. I think this kid has a serious future with the team.

I see what you're saying and that does sound good, but keep in mind that the fourth line isn't going to be a lot of minutes game in and game out, and switching a fourth line around that much seems kinda silly, considering the small amount of ice time they're going to be getting anyway. I think Lou's looking to trade Halischuk, but I could be wrong.

I doubt he trades Halischuk, if anything I think Lou will trade someone on the current roster.