Bettman casts doubt on NHLers in future Olympics

nyrsuck26

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=16865.html?cid=rsstsn

Gary Bettman likes the Olympic hockey tournament but the NHL commissioner isn't sure if it's worth halting the season when the Games are held outside of North America...

Some NHL owners question the value in shutting down the season for two weeks at a relatively quiet time on the sports calendar and just when the playoff races are heating up. There are also competition issues because some teams will have as many as 10 players go to the Games while others might not send any.

Those complaints will be magnified as the Olympics head to Sochi, Russia in 2014. Bettman thinks the league would get less value from having its players competing there because games will be televised outside of prime time in North America - likely betwen 4 a.m. and 2 p.m. Eastern...

When Bettman first entered into discussions with the International Olympic Committee, he inquired about having hockey moved to the Summer Games - which are typically held before NHL training camps even open. Then-IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch quickly dismissed his proposal...

Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin have both said that they'll play for Russia on home soil in 2014 no matter what the NHL decides. While the commissioner has taken note of those comments, he's not concerned about a player revolt in a few years time.

I don't mind stopping the season for the Olympics. It's important to many players who want to play for their country, and I personally love watching the Olympics and am excited to watch players like Parise play for USA.

What do you guys think?

I think this might stop a handful of players from signing in the NHL during Olympic years. They might sign 1 year deals back home or in the KHL just to get the chance to play for their country. If Bettman makes this happen, it will just add to the mile long list of negative things he has done for the game.

I think this might stop a handful of players from signing in the NHL during Olympic years. They might sign 1 year deals back home or in the KHL just to get the chance to play for their country. If Bettman makes this happen, it will just add to the mile long list of negative things he has done for the game.

never mind that professional players were let into the olympics under bettman's tenure, which includes a totally unprecedented in any sport 2 week long halt to the season - nah let's not give him credit for that, bettman's evil, he hates hockey and puppies

nhl involvement in the olympics sucks for the league, and the owners are just getting wise to that fact. the players will probably get to go, but they'll have to give something up in the CBA negotiation.

Edited by Triumph

It may be bad for the league but the exposure is good for hockey overall. Also the quality of play in some Olympic games is higher than the NHLs.

Think back to how terrific the 2002 Olympics were, the NHL at that point was clutch and grab rugby garbage, those olympics showcased to the world how exciting hockey can be when you have greater talent concentrated on fewer teams.

never mind that professional players were let into the olympics under bettman's tenure, which includes a totally unprecedented in any sport 2 week long halt to the season - nah let's not give him credit for that, bettman's evil, he hates hockey and puppies

nhl involvement in the olympics sucks for the league, and the owners are just getting wise to that fact. the players will probably get to go, but they'll have to give something up in the CBA negotiation.

Yeah I 100% agree.. I mean the Olympics are great, don't get me wrong, but the NHL is professional hockey and it's the job of the players (and their real commitment) to play for their teams and stay healthy for them.. Baseball adopted the same policy but I don't see anyone complaining about Bud for it..

If I'm an owner I dread every fourth year just thinking my players are spending a month away from the team being coached and managed by someone else.. It's not good for the NHL, yet the haters will still attack Gary for it even though it's his job to protect the interests of the NHL and NOT all hockey functions worldwide..

It may be bad for the league but the exposure is good for hockey overall

You're 100% right, but like I said it's not Gary's job to do what is best for hockey. It's his job to do what is best for the NHL and this is definitely better for the League.. That's all we should be expecting of him

It may be bad for the league but the exposure is good for hockey overall. Also the quality of play in some Olympic games is higher than the NHLs.

hockey would get exposure at the olympics regardless of whether or not professional players play in it.

Think back to how terrific the 2002 Olympics were, the NHL at that point was clutch and grab rugby garbage, those olympics showcased to the world how exciting hockey can be when you have greater talent concentrated on fewer teams.

and this resulted in higher ratings and exposure for hockey how?

look i'm not going to cry crocodile tears for the owners, obviously they were hoping this would spiral into higher profits for the NHL and it very obviously hasn't. the nhl doesn't need to be sold in russia. and stopping the season during the 2 week sports graveyard that is february (besides the olympics) is bad business.

Edited by Triumph

hockey would get exposure at the olympics regardless of whether or not professional players play in it.

and this resulted in higher ratings and exposure for hockey how?

look i'm not going to cry crocodile tears for the owners, obviously they were hoping this would spiral into higher profits for the NHL and it very obviously hasn't. the nhl doesn't need to be sold in russia. and stopping the season during the 2 week sports graveyard that is february (besides the olympics) is bad business.

Not really, the only time amateur bums got any real attention was 1980, and such a moment can't happen again. Hockey will continue to fly under the radar if NHLers are not allowed to participate in the Olympics...but when they do, hockey gets top billing as an Olympic sport. That's the only thing people are watching at that time, so you want them to be shown to the most skilled players the sport has to offer.

The gold medal game for 02 was the highest rated Olympic event in history to that point. That kind of exposure for your players cannot be passed up.

Edited by '7'

Not really, the only time amateur bums got any real attention was 1980, and such a moment can't happen again. Hockey will continue to fly under the radar if NHLers are not allowed to participate in the Olympics...but when they do, hockey gets top billing as an Olympic sport. That's the only thing people are watching at that time, so you want them to be shown to the most skilled players the sport has to offer.

The gold medal game for 02 was the highest rated Olympic event in history to that point. That kind of exposure for your players cannot be passed up.

sure it can, that's bettman's whole point. the gold medal game will occur at 6 am or some ungodly hour when no one will be watching. and if it's not live, it's not going to be highly rated in the US.

You honestly mean to tell us that the NHL can go up against the Olympics in this day and age and not be flat-out ignored?

Would you watch a Devils game or a team USA game? Without the NHL superstars I think the NHL would do just fine

------------------

My general thoughts:

It's great for hockey but as an owner you'd be an idiot to support it.. Think about it, you've got a couple hundred millions of dollars invested in a team and your players who you're paying big bucks for (remember, only your best will be going) take off a month to go play for some other guy who cares more about his gold medal than your team's/player's future.. It's also a distraction for the players, and a risk, that only impedes the players from doing what they get paid to do which is win NHL games and championships

The NHL is a business first.. As much as we love the Devils, they wouldn't be here if they didn't make enough money.. So everyone needs to stop thinking with their hearts and start thinking like business people.. You can't honestly deny that it's in the owner's and League's best interest to keep the players only playing NHL games

but it was also in a NA time zone, which gave them a good time slot. NHL Olympics should die a slow death, but let's be honest, this is CBA posturing. the players will give up something and they will go to Sochi.

sure it can, that's bettman's whole point. the gold medal game will occur at 6 am or some ungodly hour when no one will be watching. and if it's not live, it's not going to be highly rated in the US.

I am not sure about most people, but I went to sleep early just so I could watch the 08 Gold Medal Match between Spain and the USA in Basketball which was between 2:00-5:00 am in the morning. Would be even more apt to do the same if USA is in the finals.

You honestly mean to tell us that the NHL can go up against the Olympics in this day and age and not be flat-out ignored?

first of all i don't think the olympics does that great these days, second, who cares if it's ignored, the point is that people buy tickets in february, they don't in october and november.

When Bettman first entered into discussions with the International Olympic Committee, he inquired about having hockey moved to the Summer Games - which are typically held before NHL training camps even open. Then-IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch quickly dismissed his proposal...

I'm surprised nobody commented on this part of it yet - talk about moronic. First of all the visual of Olympic hockey being played in 110 degree weather in Rio makes me :rofl: More importantly, you'd have some players play in a Summer Olympics who haven't played in two months and others that have played nine months straight. At least doing it during the season everyone's on the same level.

I'm surprised nobody commented on this part of it yet - talk about moronic. First of all the visual of Olympic hockey being played in 110 degree weather in Rio makes me :rofl: More importantly, you'd have some players play in a Summer Olympics who haven't played in two months and others that have played nine months straight. At least doing it during the season everyone's on the same level.

that's crazy! ridiculous! except that basketball does it.

that's crazy! ridiculous! except that basketball does it.

You do realize climate control isn't an issue inside a basketball arena? You'd literally have to play games in a freezer when the weather's that hot out to get good ice.

And yes there are similar issues with some players having played and others having rested, but it's a completely different sport. Basketball isn't a terribly physical game in terms of injuries, bumps and bruises - not on the level of hockey anyway. More fatigue than anything else but you can still pick up and play at a moment's notice.

Not that I really care one way or the other what the NBA does with the Olympics since I'm not an NBA fan anymore.

Edited by Hasan4978

I have lost my respect for Bettman ever since the lock out and it was validated by him not accepting Jim Balsillie as an owner. But they need to go to Sochi 2014, its a must. I know its hostile territory due to the rivalry between KHL and NHL, but they need to be there. I still support the Cap, but Bettman needs to go as Commissioner.

Maybe if they were high school players.. These guys play and train year round..

I mean Olympic camps are already held during the summer.. I find it hard to believe they'd try to play ice hockey in the 110 degree weather.. Me thinks they'd build one of those arena-things ;) .. With technology these days and the money that is dropped at the Olympics they could make it happen I guarantee it... I think this was his way of trying to give the Olympic committee an option to still have his players out there and shouldn't be read into much..

Obviously the Winter Olympics will always include hockey, but I'd rather my top players be thinking 100% NJ Devils and let the young guys get the experience of a big stage in the Olympics

Edited by Colin226

Maybe if they were high school players.. These guys play and train year round..

High school players don't play 85-110 games a year. Everyone trains year-round these days, but it's a lot different playing a college schedule of 30 or so games and a pro schedule.

Obviously the Winter Olympics will always include hockey, but I'd rather my top players be thinking 100% NJ Devils and let the young guys get the experience of a big stage in the Olympics

My atitude's basically if everyone else's guys have to do it, then the Devils should too. Besides, every other event in the Olympics the best goes against the best. The only reason it didn't happen in the major sports until recently is because all the players were supposed to be amateurs, but clearly that went out the window with the Dream Team in 1992.

Edited by Hasan4978

High school players don't play 85-110 games a year. Everyone trains year-round these days, but it's a lot different playing a college schedule of 30 or so games and a pro schedule.

But your point was they'd be 2 months away from the game.. I'd bet most NHL players don't go more than 2 weeks in the off-season without hitting the ice

But your point was they'd be 2 months away from the game.. I'd bet most NHL players don't go more than 2 weeks in the off-season without hitting the ice

My point was it's not a level playing field and that none of the players would really be 100% ready. Some would be tired and (in many cases) nursing injuries from a long playoff run, others whose teams got knocked off sooner would be rested though still rusty from not having played. There is a difference between training and actually playing in games at the highest level of intensity, having timing down at game speed.

Edited by Hasan4978

My point was it's not a level playing field and that none of the players would really be 100% ready. Some would be tired and (in many cases) nursing injuries from a long playoff run, others whose teams got knocked off sooner would be rested though still rusty from not having played. There is a difference between training and actually playing in games, having timing down at game speed.

Olympics are 1.5 - 2 months from the end of hockey season (and that's if you're team makes it to the SCF).. I feel like that's enough time to heal and hold a proper training camp as a team.. The way they do it now leaves them more unprepared because they have a mini camp in the summer and don't meet again until the Olympics.. at least if it was in the summer they could hold a full camp that goes right into the Olympics

It's all a moot point because it simply can't happen

Olympics are 1.5 - 2 months from the end of hockey season (and that's if you're team makes it to the SCF).. I feel like that's enough time to heal and hold a proper training camp as a team.. The way they do it now leaves them more unprepared because they have a mini camp in the summer and don't meet again until the Olympics.. at least if it was in the summer they could hold a full camp that goes right into the Olympics

It's all a moot point because it simply can't happen

Fair enough (for some reason I thought the summer Olympics were the end of June - beginning of July not August), but in a way that makes it worse.

In an Olympic year the season'd really begin for everyone from late July or whenever they'd begin camps straight through to late May-early June for the final few teams since you'd end the Olympics in late August and camps begin like mid-September, no real break there.

Edited by Hasan4978