NJ GOV RACE

njdevil26

So I didn't see much discussion on this and the election is coming up soon..

Everyone is bashing Corzine and his corruption... I am left in a really tough position.. I have to vote for him.

My father is second in command on the NJ Real Estate Commission. Because of that, we get state health benefits for my family.

Before this happened, November, my mother was never able to get tests and such because our health insurance kept denying them. Once my father got the new job and we got the new health coverage, she got her tests and got diagnosed with stage four cancer in her lungs, liver, brain and such...

So here's what we're facing... if Corzine doesn't win... the new guy gets to appoint a new staff for everything including the Real Estate Commission.

IF that happens, my father loses his position and we no longer get state health coverage. My mother loses a lot of her options for treatments and such.

So because of this, I have to vote for him. I am all for getting the corruption out of our government, but I have to vote for Corzine for my mother's sake. I can't even listen to the issues..

What's everyone else doing? This is an interesting race.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, that's a really crappy position to be in, and my thoughts are with your family and your mother's successful kicking of the cancer.

That said, kinda like the last election, all I hear is the smear ads. I still hold to this day that Doug Forrester would have won the last election if he spent any time during the last month of his campaign doing anything but screaming "He's corrupt!" at Corzine. Now, once again, the Repubs are targeting corruption as a focal point, while the Dems point to George W Bush like he's the 800 lb gorilla in the room. I'm interested to know if anyone has a debate schedule, because it's not only insightful, it's also kind of amusing to see the third-party candidates, in most cases, make asses of themselves.

I didn't vote for Corzine last election. I think he's losing, because people are going to remember him as the guy that tried to make it so that property taxes couldn't be written off on state taxes. But that's without hearing a word of anyone else. So obviously, I need more info before I can answer, but I will definitely be posting thoughts on this if/when I have them.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

From Wikipedia, so accuracy might be in question:

Debates

Corzine, Christie, and Daggett will have debated each other at least three times by the election. Two debates are sanctioned by the state's Election Law Enforcement Commission; Christie and Daggett are required to participate in these debates, as they received public financing. Corzine did not seek public financing but is appearing in both ELEC debates. The first debate, sanctioned by the ELEC and sponsored by NJN, Gannett New Jersey, and the Philadelphia Inquirer, was held on October 1 in Trenton. It was televised on NJN.[56] The second ELEC-sanctioned debate, to be sponsored by The Star-Ledger, The Record, WWOR-TV out of Secaucus, and WTXF-TV out of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, will be held on October 16 at William Paterson University in Wayne. It will be televised on WWOR-TV and WTXF-TV.[56]

All three candidates have agreed to a third debate, which is not sanctioned by the ELEC, to be held on October 22. The debate will be broadcast on the radio on WBGO, a Newark-based jazz station, and will be simulcast on WNYC out of New York City, New York, WHYY-FM out of Philadelphia, and public radio stations throughout the state of New Jersey.[57] Christie and Daggett have agreed to participate in a fourth debate, which would be broadcast on the radio on New Jersey 101.5; Corzine has declined to participate.[58]

There will also be a debate between the three major candidates for lieutenant governor: Loretta Weinberg, Kim Guadagno, and Frank Esposito. This debate, sponsored by Leadership New Jersey, will be held at Monmouth University in West Long Branch on October 8. It will be televised on News 12 New Jersey and broadcast on the radio on New Jersey 101.5.[56]

From what I understood, Corzine refused the third debate.

Daggett is in to hurt Christie,pure and simple. He is a former Corzine appointee and will be well taken care of if Fozzy Bear buys another election.

I cannot stand Christie, and will literally hold my nose as I vote for him.

New Jersey is as stupid an electorate as there is in America. How else can you explain "Senators" Chimp One Lautenberg, and Chimp Two Menendez.

We get what we deserve.

As far as the race itself, it's despicable... it's completely run off of attack ads and hidden endorsements.

Ha! What else is new? That ad with edited footage of Christie clapping for Bush is humorous, I'll say that.

I can't vote for Corzine, and it's not because of his smear ads. It's because he's just the latest N.J. Democrat to lie to the electorate about property tax relief, and I've had enough of the BS.

Christie won't do anything either, but at least he's not feeding the people a line of BS about taxes. Yes, it's quite the decision to make. :rolleyes:

Daggett is in to hurt Christie,pure and simple. He is a former Corzine appointee and will be well taken care of if Fozzy Bear buys another election.

Christie is only losing to Corzine by 1% when Daggett is in the poll, and when he is not in the poll, Christie is only beating Corzine by 1%, so there is only a 2% difference out of Daggett's 17%. This shows that he is drawing votes from both liberals as well as conservatives, not one or the other.

I cannot stand Christie, and will literally hold my nose as I vote for him.

Off-topic but this is another of example of why we need more than two parties, or no parties at all. People feel they have no choice but to vote for someone they don't even like.

Edited by devilsfan26

Off-topic but this is another of example of why we need more than two parties, or no parties at all. People feel they have no choice but to vote for someone they don't even like.

My dislike for Christie is professional, not political.

Could you elaborate? Also wouldn't you rather vote for someone you like professionally and politically?

I cannot elaborate. I prefer to keep professional stuff out of here, andleave it at that, mysterious or not.

And I would prefer to vote for someone I liked professionally if it applied. But in this case, I would vote for Satan himself to get Corzine out of office.

I cannot elaborate. I prefer to keep professional stuff out of here, andleave it at that, mysterious or not.

And I would prefer to vote for someone I liked professionally if it applied. But in this case, I would vote for Satan himself to get Corzine out of office.

I agree with you. I've dealt with Corzine personally and professionally plenty of times... I can't stand him and his politics and his attitude and his money... which is why my predicament SUCKS to no end.

This is the same guy who raised taxes all over the board (Roads) and (Sales).

Something that has effected me personally is that my son needed early intervention for Speech. This used to be state funded but now we pay based on income/# of Kids. If i had 8 kids, I could get all the free speech i wanted! But with 1 kid and the income we make, we are paying about 40 dollars for every speech session.

While it may seem trivial, that adds up.

Oh my property taxes have gone up 20% in the last 3 yrs.

Lots of big problems in this state and Corzine has gotta go IMO.

cmon jacques i had speech therapy as a kid as well. that is a little fvcked you have to pay 40 dollars a session. when i went to new york city public schools the city covered it. but new jersey is in bad straits financial, correct? anyway, your son will be fine and will have beautiful pronunciation i am in law school right now and i always get complemented that i am such a good orator. if they only heard me speak when i was six haha.

cmon jacques i had speech therapy as a kid as well. that is a little fvcked you have to pay 40 dollars a session. when i went to new york city public schools the city covered it. but new jersey is in bad straits financial, correct? anyway, your son will be fine and will have beautiful pronunciation i am in law school right now and i always get complemented that i am such a good orator. if they only heard me speak when i was six haha.

well it's until 3 yrs old then he moves into the school system if we decide to continue. So from the time he was about 18 months til a yr from now, he gets speech therapy once a week.

He is doing well and coming a long nicely. Just sucks that 2 yrs ago this was fully funded, and now it is predicated by our income/family size.

Christie is only losing to Corzine by 1% when Daggett is in the poll, and when he is not in the poll, Christie is only beating Corzine by 1%, so there is only a 2% difference out of Daggett's 17%. This shows that he is drawing votes from both liberals as well as conservatives, not one or the other.

Really? Everything i have seen still has Corzine losing. source.

Fair enough

This is what I'm talking about. With such few choices, elections can become more about keeping someone else from winning than about getting an actual good candidate elected. I'm not criticizing you for voting that way, just pointing out a problem.

Really? Everything i have seen still has Corzine losing. source.

Most recent Fairleigh Dickinson poll

Corzine 38%

Christie 37%

Daggett 17%

I bet he stiffed you that $5 he owed you right :whistling:

The Star Ledger has endorsed Chris Dagget for governor.

Article

They claim that it's not as much a rejection of Corzine and Christie as much as a repudiation of the Democratic and Republican Parties of New Jersey.

Any chance Dagget can build some real momentum? Or is it too late for too big of an underdog?

I happen to be interning in the Gov's office right now, so I think you can tell where I stand.. I could literally walk over and high five John if he was in his office right now

My parents also both work for the state (dad is retired but still get pension and benefits) so I know where you're coming from Andy

Edited by Colin226

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.