GDT: NJ Devils @ TB Lightning

Colin226

They almost stole defeat from the jaws of victory, even if they won the skills competition. Clarkson pulled that move out, didn't he?

Something needs to be done with Rolston. He's killing them on the ice and on the cap. He's so bad, it defies logic. Age? Speed gone since the injury? No confidence? I'm shocked he hasn't been benched and since he's JL's Boy, it isn't happening.

Peters and Pikkarainen are utter wastes. Nothing will make these guys better. I have no idea what LL and Lemaire sees in these two players other then 1) cheap contracts and 2) cheap contracts. I'm still of the opinion that as long as these two players are in the lineup every game, they are playing 2 players short.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They almost stole defeat from the jaws of victory, even if they won the skills competition. Clarkson pulled that move out, didn't he?

Something needs to be done with Rolston. He's killing them on the ice and on the cap. He's so bad, it defies logic. Age? Speed gone since the injury? No confidence? I'm shocked he hasn't been benched and since he's JL's Boy, it isn't happening.

Peters and Pikkarainen are utter wastes. Nothing will make these guys better. I have no idea what LL and Lemaire sees in these two players other then 1) cheap contracts and 2) cheap contracts. I'm still of the opinion that as long as these two players are in the lineup every game, they are playing 2 players short.

I find it hard to disagree with anything in this post.

Probably should have won that one easier than we did, we outshot them by a huge margin. But a good showing considering we were missing our #1 and #2 Defensemen, our #2 LW/C and Pandolfo as well.

Pikkarainen and Peters have to go though, can't wait till we get Elias and Pandolfo back, Jay was playing pretty well before he went down. Good job scrapping out the victory today though, hopefully we will have Oduya back next game, not sure what the current ETA is on Elias's return, but i hope it is soon, he generates alot of offense for us.

Who can you bench him for??

Halischuk?

Peters??? :lol:

PL^3 :rofl:

We're stuck with him too..... the only thing you can do is try to put him in a position to succeed..... so you look back... when was he best last year?? That was on the 3rd line with Madden and Clarkson.... since you can't do that... throw some more sh!t to the wall... try Niedermommy and Clarkson .... just let Rolston shoot the lights out and hope the other two can pick up the garbage???

Hang onto them for a couple more games. You wouldn't be any happier if you had to pick 2 players from Low Hell to replace them (and neither would the 300 fans in Lowell), and Lou hasn't found anybody better in the UFA pool yet.

I thought that this might be shutout #103 the way the Lightning were playing until that 3rd period. Devil's played a very solid game tonight, especially considering they were down two top D-men. Niittymaki and the crossbar really kept the Bolts in it, I thought we could have had 3 goals in this goal relatively easily. Clarkson sealed the deal with a nice shootout goal :dance: And to expand on what someone else was saying, there usually is a nice amount of Devils fans attending either Cats or Bolts games. However today seemed like even more than usual which is always nice to see. Hopefully we can rest up and get back at it against the Caps on Wednesday.

I just cannot believe how many scoring chances Rolston has had this season so far, he just can't finish on any of them, that game against the Rangers at MSG he had at least 3 or 4 brilliant opportunities to bury it home but he simply just can't do it. Today he cancelled out his own breakaway which is something I've not seen a player do in well.....FOREVER! The guys big slapshot from the point can't hit the net for sh!t. My lord this guy is nothing but a bum a disappointment to every Devil fan right now. His foot getting screwed up is no longer an excuse, he is just flat out horrendous of a hockey player now, hell give this guy an empty net and he will shoot it 50 feet over the net! :argh:

just let Rolston shoot the lights out and hope the other two can pick up the garbage???

Rolston isn't even doing that. He's not even creating anything for his linemates because when he shoots the puck it's going a) over the net b) miss the net and around and out c) right into the goalie's crest and d) come down the wing, against a defender and shoot and have it blocked or deflected in the corner. When was the last time anyone saw Rolston shoot a nice low shot towrds the net for tips or a low shot into the pads and have a rebound come out for garbage? You don't need to wind and shoot 95 MPH to do that every time.

He's lost. It's get puck, wind and shoot puck as hard as i can. There's no patience in trying to pick corners or even good shot selection towrds the net to create garbage. Ever see Rolston get off a good wrist shot or snap shot? Maybe just throw the puck at the net have it bounce around? No. Everything is a wind up and let it go.

Edited by SJP20

He's lost. It's get puck, wind and shoot puck as hard as i can. There's no patience in trying to pick corners or even good shot selection towrds the net to create garbage. Ever see Rolston get off a good wrist shot or snap shot? Maybe just throw the puck at the net have it bounce around? No. Everything is a wind up and let it go.

He did have a nice wrist shot on the 3 on 2, Nitty just got a piece of it and the rebound went where the far Devils could have been but he had been ridden off by one of the defenders.

He did have a nice wrist shot on the 3 on 2, Nitty just got a piece of it and the rebound went where the far Devils could have been but he had been ridden off by one of the defenders.

It didn't create a scoring chance off of it, though. There are many times where that shot slection would have come in handy instead of loading and firing. However, if that happens on a consistant level more then just winding up and firing, that will come. Too many times Rolston just fires away.

Edited by SJP20

But, it didn't create a scoring chance off of it. If that happens on a consistant level more then just winding up and firing, that will come. Too many times Rolston just fires away.

Well the shot itself was a high scoring chance and the rebound was a good opportunity if the other winger had been in the right spot. I'm not saying Rolston is playing well but you asked if he ever gets off a good wrist shot and he definitely got at least that one off today.

Edit: I think this link should work Rolston Wrister

Edited by Devils731

lemaire keeps yo-yoing rolston from line to line. i'm not saying that's the cause of rolston's troubles, but niedermayer and clarkson and rolston - there's not a player who has any idea what to do in the offensive zone (besides the very simplest play) among the bunch. and of course there's no reason at all to sit rolston, that's just a laughable suggestion. yeah let's sit the guy who has 3 and a half shots per game.

greene played an excellent game. i don't know how he's doing this - i think there was some sort of young frankenstein switch between he and oduya in their rookie seasons, and now there's been a switch back.

don't know why all the pikkarainen hate today.

devils should've easily scored more than 1 and most games they will.

and of course there's no reason at all to sit rolston, that's just a laughable suggestion. yeah let's sit the guy who has 3 and a half shots per game.

Yeah, maybe one of those 3 and a half shots a game will actually create something, someday. If you're reaching for shot totals to defend Rolston, that's more laughable then anything. Shot totals mean sh!t when you're always shooting low percentage shots or from low percentage areas and unloading from the point in no traffic. It leads to nothing other then padding shot totals so stat freaks overlook how poor the actual play of said player really is. SOG is an overrated stat just like +/-

He's playing poorly to put it lightly. The one play where he came down and had a semi step (maybe even a step) on the D-man but instead turned and did a spin o rama, was beyond poor play.

Edited by SJP20

Yeah, maybe one of those 3 and a half shots a game will actually create something, nevermind that they end up in the goalie's crest or steered into the corner. If you're reaching for shot totals to defend Rolston, that's more laughable then anything. Shot totals mean sh!t when you're always shooting low percentage shots or unloading from the point in no traffic which lead to nothing other then padding shot totals so stat freaks overlook how poor the actual play of said player really is.

did i say anywhere that rolston was playing well? no, i didn't. what i did say was that it was a laughable suggestion to sit him, which it still very much is.

He's playing poorly to put it lightly. The one play where he came down and had a semi step (maybe even a step) on the D-man but instead turned and did a spin o rama, was beyond poor play.

but he didn't blast it into the goalie's crest on that one, either, so no stat-padding there! nah that was abysmal. still doesn't mean that rolston is playing so bad he needs to be benched. he's not playing well. when elias gets back, i think his play will pick up some. and some of these shots will start going in, it's real hard for a forward to shoot 5% for a season.

did i say anywhere that rolston was playing well? no, i didn't. what i did say was that it was a laughable suggestion to sit him, which it still very much is.

Why is it so laughable? Because he's got 3 and a half low percentage or poor shot selection SOG and that's more then enough to keep him out there doing nothing?

Sorry, but it going to take more then a SOG stat to justify him not taking a game up in the press box to send a message. Something with him is wrong and it needs to be solved quick. Has his skills eroded as scorer now that he's 36? No more legs? Or has he just "lost" it? Pretty soon, this needs to be addressed because if it's clear to us something is off with him, it's clear to them.

But, overall, this can not go on this season or for the remainder of his contract. I never liked this contract to begin with and the only way it looks somewhat "good" is if he nets 30 and given his age and his play this season, he won't come near that.

Edited by SJP20

I'm surprised everyone is bagging on Pikk when he actually played a pretty good game today. Was involved in some chances, was putting pressure in on the forecheck, and didn't make any real bad plays.

i agree. he did play well today. i'd like to give hm a little more time playing at this level to see how effective he can be getting 4th line time when elias and pando return.

i'm not as down on him as most people are. he's not lighting the scoreboard up but i thought he's been ok as a 4th liner. and it seemed early on that he was always paired on a line with peters. i think pik and pelley have been ok as our 4th line guys.

halischuk seems to be getting a break from everbody when he's been invisible this whole season.

Greene has been stupid impressive, wtf happened?

I wonder if we signed Murphy just to get Greene to play.

He's stepped up his game for sure.

Of course, just after Chico mentioned that, he had trouble moving the puck.

i'm not as down on him as most people are. he's not lighting the scoreboard up but i thought he's been ok as a 4th liner. and it seemed early on that he was always paired on a line with peters. i think pik and pelley have been ok as our 4th line guys.

halischuk seems to be getting a break from everbody when he's been invisible this whole season.

He's a rookie, he's in and out of the line up, and he can't establish chemistry that way. I think he's got more upside, and I see him getting better, while I think we're seeing all we're getting from Pikka, which is not good enough.

To be fair to Pikka, I was expecting him to be a 4th liner, and he's being asked to do more. He's dragging skill guys like Bergfors down when he's on a line with them, but when Elias and Pando get back, he's never going to be asked to play with the skill guys again. I'm not impressed, but he's not hopeless.

A win is a win, yes... but anyone happy with today's game is pure crazy.

Yes, I understand we were without Martin, Oduya, Pando, and Elias (who hasn't played anyway),

But this team cannot score goals! We outshot them 40-19 but Nitty was hardly tested. Zach flat out missed open nets and half of the team makes ridiculously weak shots. Zubrus is playing really well but needs a scoring winger to help him out. I think Elias should get that job. The second scoring line should be Elias-Zubrus-Bergfors... then Rolston-Niedermayer-Clarkson as the third line.

The Devils coasted today... against a decent team who was playing flat out AWFUL.

Better days ahead... seems like Martin, Elias, and Pando have similar return dates... The Caps at home on Wednesday could be ugly.