World Junior Championships U20 Thread 2010

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Just figured I'd update this. In case anyone missed, your prospect Patrice Cormier went 2-2-4 in Canada's 16-0 drubbing of Latvia. He's their captain. Oddly enough, Derek Stepan captains USA and they improved to 2-0 with a 3-0 shutout of Swiss. He assisted on Chris Kreider's PPG. The story though was the Swiss goalie Benjamin Conz, who stopped 46 shots. He was great. I'm covering it over at Battle and recapped. If anyone's interested, I'll be doing more updates between the local stuff. Canada plays Switzerland later today at 4 PM on NHL Network. Not sure I'll catch it but perhaps a replay. Also, Finland rallied from 3 down to beat Cze 4-3.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just figured I'd update this. In case anyone missed, your prospect Patrice Cormier went 2-2-4 in Canada's 16-0 drubbing of Latvia. He's their captain. Oddly enough, Derek Stepan captains USA and they improved to 2-0 with a 3-0 shutout of Swiss. He assisted on Chris Kreider's PPG. The story though was the Swiss goalie Benjamin Conz, who stopped 46 shots. He was great.

The Swiss always seem to have better goalies than skaters.

I'm very happy that Rogers is having a free preview of TSN-HD during the tournament. :)

The Swiss always seem to have better goalies than skaters.

I'm very happy that Rogers is having a free preview of TSN-HD during the tournament. :)

Agreed. They do have good skaters and made some nice transition seam passes. But they're not as offensively developed. Those power plays were abominable. Especially the 5-on-3.

Canada looked really, really, really bad in a 6-0 win over the Swiss. There were a lot of odd-man rushes, some glorious chances against (2 shots rang off the post that could well have gone in), and the whole game they seemed to want to get too fancy - blind drop passes, dipsy-doodles, one-too-many passes, etc.. Against the weak Swiss team that kind of behaviour doesn't hurt too much, but if they pull that crap against the USA, we're gonna have a short tournament.

USA gets a gimmee tomorrow. Latvia needs to be sent down to the B pool.

Cormier got benched tonight for taking an utterly stupid, idiotic, selfish penalty . Don't expect him to be up with the Devils next year. He has some growing up to do.

Adam Henrique took a stupid one as well... you don't facewash someone in international hockey.... you might get away with that in the CHL, but not at the World Juniors. They know that. The coaches tell them that. And yet....

Edited by Don

I dont think that with this insident Patrice Cormier is NOT going to be on the devils roster next year.

It wasn't just last night. He just isn't smart with his physicality. He reminds me of Steve Downie that way. The incident against Sweden.. the incident last night against Slovakia... the evidence is just piling up against him. The Devils are a team that pride themselves on their discipline. I think Lou is smart enough to keep this guy in the AHL until he smartens up.

It wasn't just last night. He just isn't smart with his physicality. He reminds me of Steve Downie that way. The incident against Sweden.. the incident last night against Slovakia... the evidence is just piling up against him. The Devils are a team that pride themselves on their discipline. I think Lou is smart enough to keep this guy in the AHL until he smartens up.

True, but I don't think that cormier would do thyis in the NHL.

Look I live in Quebec and he never does that in the QMJHL.

I don't know why he acts like this.

but you have a good point.

1-1 US/CAN already only 4 minutes in.

i love the juniors.

USA was the better team last night. Canada was lucky. Shoot-out sucks at the juniors.... I know it is a short tournament and they don't want to tire out the guys any more than they already would be, but would 5 more minutes of OT kill them? In the NHL, a few points over an 82 game schedule doesn't change the world, but in this kind of tournament is rough having so much riding on a skills competition.

oh oh ohhhh anybody saw Tedenby's goal tnight? holy sweet baby jesus... what a goal!

I dont think the Finns knew what to do, he just has amazing hands and the finnish was excellent as well back hand top shelf.

Both Matti and JJ had excellent games last night it was a good game to watch.

As with last year i hope Sweden can get to the final, but as long as all the devils prospects have a good showing i will be happy.

I felt really bad for the US,they didnt really deserve that, the shootout is still the most crappy way to end any game.

http://www.iihf.com/channels0910/wm20/videos.html

click on the sweden v. finland game. its about 20 seconds in.

Edit: so i just watched that swedish youtube one and noticed they pronounced it Tee-uh-den-BEE, normally i hear it pronounced TED-en-bee, but i also heard a Canadian announcer pronounce it Tee-EH-den-bee when the Swedish juniors played an exhibition game against a Canadian college team.

Edited by funetiklee

USA was the better team last night. Canada was lucky. Shoot-out sucks at the juniors.... I know it is a short tournament and they don't want to tire out the guys any more than they already would be, but would 5 more minutes of OT kill them? In the NHL, a few points over an 82 game schedule doesn't change the world, but in this kind of tournament is rough having so much riding on a skills competition.

It was a classic game. Did you see what Schroeder said? They were the better team. They had it and let it go. You can't have a team like Canada on the ropes and tense up. Other than Stepan trying to make it 5-2, they backed off. Most glaring example was on the PP up one, begging to get scored on by Pietrangelo. Eberle is tremendous. Cruddy way to decide the Group but it was prelims. If our team is as good as they looked, they'll do what they got to do against Finland and then upset Sweden.

http://www.iihf.com/channels0910/wm20/videos.html

click on the sweden v. finland game. its about 20 seconds in.

Edit: so i just watched that swedish youtube one and noticed they pronounced it Tee-uh-den-BEE, normally i hear it pronounced TED-en-bee, but i also heard a Canadian announcer pronounce it Tee-EH-den-bee when the Swedish juniors played an exhibition game against a Canadian college team.

He has such good hands.

Where is the thread about the Swiss beating Russia? Not even a single post? Come on guys.....

"This is the Swiss Al Michael's moment" - Pierre McGuire

What a crazy game. Conz stopped 52 shots as the Russians just peppered him with shots and the Swiss were in defend mode most of the game. They had no break-out plan... they were just playing "let's get the puck out of our zone any way we know how". I swear 50 of the first 60 minutes were played in the Swiss zone. And to further make it a miracle, the Swiss were playing without their TWO star defencemen (both of whom were named to the Swiss Olympic team, but are questionable due to the injuries incurred during this World Juniors).

Oh, and in other news, the U.S. easily handles the Fins in the other match. So the US plays Sweden and Canada plays SWITZERLAND?!?!

Where is the thread about the Swiss beating Russia? Not even a single post? Come on guys.....

"This is the Swiss Al Michael's moment" - Pierre McGuire

What a crazy game. Conz stopped 52 shots as the Russians just peppered him with shots and the Swiss were in defend mode most of the game. They had no break-out plan... they were just playing "let's get the puck out of our zone any way we know how". I swear 50 of the first 60 minutes were played in the Swiss zone. And to further make it a miracle, the Swiss were playing without their TWO star defencemen (both of whom were named to the Swiss Olympic team, but are questionable due to the injuries incurred during this World Juniors).

Oh, and in other news, the U.S. easily handles the Fins in the other match. So the US plays Sweden and Canada plays SWITZERLAND?!?!

I read that the Swiss pulled it off, but I missed the game unfortunately. US-Sweden should be a real tough one. I think Canada is set... I can't see the Swiss managing a second straight miracle.