Parade! Who Is Going And Where Do

DevilMinder

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm already making a half a dozen copies or so, so why not one more!

thanks---I may have deleted your info from my emails. my phone is 631-342-2168 and my email is joshua.derienzis@ca.com please contact me when its ready.

Crickies.LI I would be careful about posting your personal stuff like this on the internet.

You should IM it.

The internet is a scary place...........

They gave out some nice stuff too, I got at least 50 of those Stevens/Brodeur 8x10s.

Anyone who didn't attend want one? They're actually VERY nice...on one side it's Stevens kissing the Cup, on the other it's Brodeur hoisting the Cup with a few players in the background. It also has 2003 Stanley Cup Champions and Devils Hockey: Live it Eat it Breathe it on it.

I have a bunch, so just let me know if anyone wants one :)

Thanks IAC; I was just about to ask about that! I was at the parade and gambled and taped the Channel 7 one since you all said News12 did repeats.

Sue I sincerely hope 'some' of us found you; I've never been to one of these things before and I got there like 10:30 so I did want to take some time soak up the atmosphere and get a good spot reasonably close to the stage. I did look for your car a little but it was hard without knowing which lot it'd be in even with your distinctive flag. Sorry I couldn't find you. I guess these gettogethers have become the achilles heel of our board :P

We got 110 days to get our act together I suppose (according to Doc that's when the banner raising will be) :lol:

As for the parking lot gettogether:

You know when we had the first one of these parking lot parades in '95 I wasn't too keen on it, since nobody else did it and everyone laughed at us for doing such a thing. I kind of warmed up to it a little by the 2000 win, but to be honest I couldn't appreciate it as much until I finally got here for one of these things today. Especially since they can't/don't show everything on TV. From here on in to anyone who disses the parking lot parade I'll say, 'You ever been to one?' It was well worth the trip and I'm just so glad I was feeling good enough to go.

Parade isn't the right word for it really it's a combined picnic/celebration/party. Getting in for nothing, getting all those little free souvenirs, getting to see the team up close, a little mini-concert beforehand, a decent view of the Cup and all the players; I'll take that anyday. Especially with the nice (though a little hot) weather today. That Lou-led passing around the microphone thing near the end was a nice touch; very symbolic of the togetherness of the team. :clap:

Yeah RD...I would like one...I will forfeit and give to my Godson...he really wanted me to take him today...he will get over it...he is so used to me dewing the hockey stuff...this year is an aberration...told him will take him to banner raising :D

It really was a blast, a great party. My family and I didn't get there till almost 12:30 but got a pretty good side view. The audio was bad though, if you didn't get close. From one spot couldn't hear Doc at all. Lou's nice touch of passing the mic around was great. I couldn't see Sue's flag in the sea of people though. :(

I got the pic of Steven's lifting the cup, didn't see the Marty one.

I'm glad we went, but I did prefer the 2000 party better, in the evening and cooler. I think there were less people this time because it was during the day.

I can't wait until the next party! :evil:

Sheeps, Dirty Jerzy, and I were there today. First of all, we were bummed that there was no way to get near the players' entrance/exit that we could see... we were really hoping to get some autographs and close-up photos. We even brought Sheeps' dad's Cornell "Nieuwendyk" jersey, hoping to get Joe to sign it! Oh well.

Secondly, I must say there were some fans there that need to go root for another team. We had some guy behind us who, whenever Marty was mentioned or shown on the big screen, asked, "Is Marty going to bring Melanie?" or "I wonder if Marty brought his sister!" etc. Yeesh.

Thirdly, those "Rangers Suck" chants really get on my nerves now. We won the cup... they didn't make playoffs. We've been the better team in recent years, clearly. We've got a team, they have a collection of players. We're on the cusp of being a dynasty, they're already one of the laughingstocks of the NHL. WHY is it necessary to CONSITENTLY take focus off of the DEVILS success by chanting about how much the Rangers suck?!?!

Heh, and an interesting note from Dirty Jerzy today at the gathering -- when the "Let's Go Devils" chant started up when we first got there, he looked at me and asked, "Go where? We're here! This is where we wanted to GO all year! There's nowhere else to go -- we're there!!" :D

That Lou-led passing around the microphone thing near the end was a nice touch; very symbolic of the togetherness of the team. :clap:

What was that about?

You know how only a few immediate team members (i.e. players/coaches/GM) usually speak at the parade/rallies? It was gonna be just Burns, Stevens and Lou in that particular order apparently (after the governor and a couple of the YankeeNet owners). Stevens, for starters, after he spoke gave it to Dano :clap: . Then after Dano, Lou got it and after his little speech he said (paraphrasing) 'similar to Scotty I'm gonna do something not expected; I want each player to say a few words', and every player did, from Nieds and Elias to bit players like Smehlik and Bicek.

I read the 20,000 figure too; somehow I doubt it's that few but Saturday middle of a holiday weekend is kind of a sticky time to have the parade. Quite a few people here from this rabid board couldn't make it unfortunately so that might have been somewhat telling. Another excuse for outsiders to bash us I suppose, oh well :P

I'm as permissive about the 'Rangers suck' chants as almost anyone (i.e. not usually an active participant but I don't usually get bummed by others doing it) but it did get a little old even for me today.

BTW where was Carps? He wasn't introduced so I'm assuming he wasn't there. If memory serves, he wasn't there for the '95 one either :P

Those of you who looked for the banner & couldn't find it, the reason was that at the time I was supposed to be there I was standing by the wreck of my car watching the cop fill out an accident report. I was stopped at a red light near my home and some idiotic teenager wasn't watching what he was doing and slammed into me from behind with enough force to send my car into the car in front of me. The back & front of my car are ugly, I think it's a goner.

Worse, not only did I miss the celebration, but I have a lovely black eye & air bag burn from where I hit the bag as it expanded. So I look about as bad as my car. The amazing thing is I walked away unharmed other than that, the cops wanted to send me to the hospital but I refused to go and sit there for several hours while the staff 'observed' me for no good reason. It appears that none of the other drivers/passengers involved were hurt seriously either, which is what is important. The kid's parents have called me twice in the last day to try and find out if I'm going to sue. I swear if they call me again I'm going to sue them for harassment.

Anyway, it sounds like it was fun for those who made it there unharmed, I'm po'd that I missed it. RD, I'd like to get one of those pics, I'll send you a PM.