Devils' late meltdown in desert proves costly

Derek21

Hasan's take on yesterday's game:

Last night's game in Phoenix just two nights after the Instant Classic at the Garden had letdown potential written all over it. Especially considering we've had a couple of bad losses to this team since the lockout when they weren't very good. Unfortunately now Phoenix is good, though they were in a slump going into last night's game (four straight home losses), that probably that meant they were due to break out of it. And our recent schedule hasn't been a picnic thanks to Lightgate.

Even given all that, the Devils outshot Phoenix 26-9 in the first two periods and were tied late in the third period until a bad three seconds from rookie Mark Fraser led to two different goals and proved to be the difference in a 4-3 loss, the Devils' second in three games - or four if you want to be technical.

Rest Of Article Here

Edited by Derek21

Meltdown was the wrong choice of words there

Meltdown was game 7 with Carolina....

the Giants in the stretch run....

the Red Wings this year....

but not one game in January... "blip on the radar" is a better choice

Actually it was my article, Derek just posted it here cause my stuff doesn't show up in the News Feeds anymore since BoNY switched servers (not that anyone reads there anyway since it got overpopulated with TG's posts).

And I said meltdown because of where they were playing more than anything else (hence the whole 'desert meltdown' thing), but it was still two goals in a very short period of time late that was the difference in the hockey game.

Geez, we really do have the touchiest fanbase in the league :P And it would be nice if people actually, you know read the article before they got all hissy over the headline, or the first line of Derek's post that said it was my piece for that matter...

Edited by Hasan4978

Except that it would have been ten if I didn't say anything, the same stuff was happening last year when Derek's stuff was getting auto-posted under my name and people jumped on me for that.

Funny, the only time I get comments on my articles are whines when people think my stuff is Derek's or his stuff is mine...and people wonder why negative journalism sells in this country :rolleyes:

Edited by Hasan4978

How dare I put up a Devil related article Hasan wrote. Look what happened with the News Feed. MSweet, thanks for illustrating my point. You talk about how this is a Devil forum but even a respected person couldn't keep their head, assuming I wrote it which was the first mistake. Even if I had, big deal. Haven't you ever read non-Devil writers before? I've done a few Devils related entries. Put up something on Elias before. What's wrong with posting it? It's Hell/Devils. It's like that speech Pacino makes in Devil's Advocate. "You can't win 'em all." Hasan covers the Devils and does an outstanding job. He once did recaps here. Everyone knows how rational he is. Personally, I had no issue with his choice of word(s). Mark Fraser kinda melted down, costing the Devs. It's real easy for fans to criticize a writer/blogger no matter what it is. But it's a lot harder to be that person who gives their all to something and knows the risks.

Sometimes, it's easy to forget that I'm not a "typical Ranger fan." What about stopping to think first? It'd be easy to pick out a few trashy Devil fans at the game a few days prior. Arrogant. Standing up. Mouthing off. Every fanbase has those. There are fans who go that I can't stand. At least they don't exist where we sit. I don't mind meeting other team's fans as long as they're knowledgeable and realize their place. I don't care for rah rah types who think their sh!t don't stink. Some of our fans know the team's a joke and will remain so until Sather is gone and Jazzy Jim goes bankrupt. Others wear pom poms and are delusional. The level headed ones know the game and see what it's become. You know. Where teams play for the shootout and programmed officials ignore blatant infractions (slash/cross check, etc) for phantom hooks. Plus an incompetent hierarchy that doesn't always discipline certain players due to double standards. It is what it is.

It would be refreshing to see all our stuff accepted as part of the News Feeds minus the circus. At the end of the day, it's not my call. So, be it.

Actually it was my article, Derek just posted it here cause my stuff doesn't show up in the News Feeds anymore since BoNY switched servers (not that anyone reads there anyway since it got overpopulated with TG's posts).

You could've said something. I didn't realize your stuff wasn't showing up anymore, and obviously DM and msweet didn't either, otherwise one of us would've taken care of it. I will go look at the settings now.

And there's a difference between the News feeds and the Twitter feeds. We'd like to get rid of the Twitter thing, but we haven't found anything that integrates those as tightly with the forum as we'd like, so it's the way it is for now. The News section continues to bring in the following blogs: 2 Man Advantage, Puck Daddy, Puck The Media, Fire and Ice (TG's blog), and your stuff at BoNY (pending fixing any problems on our end).

Except that it would have been ten if I didn't say anything, the same stuff was happening last year when Derek's stuff was getting auto-posted under my name and people jumped on me for that.

Funny, the only time I get comments on my articles are whines when people think my stuff is Derek's or his stuff is mine...and people wonder why negative journalism sells in this country :rolleyes:

Not negative journalism, poor journalism here.

"Meltdown" :wacko: Fail.

You could've said something. I didn't realize your stuff wasn't showing up anymore, and obviously DM and msweet didn't either, otherwise one of us would've taken care of it. I will go look at the settings now.

Appreciate the concern but I'd pretty much stopped caring about that, and this thread is why. Derek's posted other stuff of mine here before and there wasn't a peep from anyone in those threads, but the first little thing that reeks of being contreversial and all hell breaks loose :rolleyes:

Sometimes I do try to write a creative headline cause it gets boring just saying 'Devils give up late goals and lose or Devils come from behind (again)', that's all. I didn't exactly eviscerate the team in the article itself or the one today. You guys should have seen some of my stuff during the six game losing streak last year if this is gonna get everyone's noses all bent up :P

Edited by Hasan4978

we'll try to win every game from now on

...take it as a complement. We're the #1 team in the Conference, and there's still threads of; "Meltdown". Expectations are high, when you're the New Jersey Devils.

Melting...hot...desert...Phoenix...

These were common overused article devices when a team plays the Coyotes on the road, before the whole Hamilton thing happened, remember?

January !!! Fail.

Besides, it wasn't a collapse (aka meltdown :whistling: ) by the Devils.

The whole it's January thing doesn't hold water considering Phoenix had a high of 72 the prior two days. That's short-sleeves and shorts weather for me, ergo summer as far as I'm concerned :P

But by Southwest standards ( I live in TX) 72 is chilly :lol: