Official: River Rats sold, will move to Charlotte

thelastonealive

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=892117

Reports today out of Raleigh, N.C., indicate that the Albany River Rats have been sold and will move to Charlotte, though the top executive of the local American Hockey League team said this morning that he is unaware of any transaction.

Garen Szablewski, president and CEO of the River Rats, said that owner Walter Robb is "looking at number of different options in terms of affiliations and future of the franchise," but he is unaware that any deal has been struck.

There had been talk that since this was the last year of the agreement and that the Hurricanes wanted their prospects closer to the big club, that they'd find another team to come to an agreement with. Owner of the River Rats had said he would sell but only to someone willing to keep the team in Albany. Looks like that's pretty much out the window now.

Edit: Szablewski now contends that it's not a done deal, according to WNYT's Twitter feed:

WNYT River Rats Pres. & CEO Garen Szablewski says the team isn't going anywhere. Says they're exploring options, but no plans to move now.
Edited by thelastonealive

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish we would move Lowell to NJ somewhere... not sure why that can't be Newark

It'll happen eventually. Lou's probably just waiting for the right opportunity to come along.

And this was a surprise to David Andrews?

Does this mean the Devils can move their franchise to Albany?

In theory, but would they want to?

rowdy?

Le sigh. I wanna go home. There's beer there. And there will be pizza and wings when I pick them up. Ironically, there's a home game tonight.

Yeah, but as a market, Lowell is a disaster that's already happened. There's no excess demand for pro hockey here either.

Seriously I don't know how long they can keep a team there. Attendance is so bad. THere are how many minor league teams in MA? 4? THen Providence isn't that far away either.

Yeah, but as a market, Lowell is a disaster that's already happened. There's no excess demand for pro hockey here either.

well, i agree, i think the team is going to move soon. i just don't think that new jersey is any better of a market than lowell, and may even be worse.

lowell in NJ seems like a disaster waiting to happen. there's no excess demand for professional hockey in this area.

That, in my opinion, is the biggest reason why it hasn't happened yet. Where, exactly, would you put this team? The only real option that comes to mind is Trenton with the ECHL franchise moving elsewhere. I don't see Izod or Newark as options; Atlantic City might be a destination for the ECHL but not the AHL; anything else in the state would require building a new arena.

As a side note, people have been saying for years that the Devils want their AHL team in New Jersey, but as far as I know, the Devils themselves have never actually said this. Is there something to this or are people just reading between the lines?

I think putting the minor league team too close to the arena is only gonna hurt attendance (think I'm mad about $29 seats, wait till you give people an alternate brand at 1/3 the price)....they want them close but not TOO close ya know???

Albany would be nice... i miss going up there and seeing them get shut out, least you guys don't have the "it was all Lou's fault cause he didn't care about the team" comments at us anymore (yes I am sad to see them go)

As a side note, people have been saying for years that the Devils want their AHL team in New Jersey, but as far as I know, the Devils themselves have never actually said this. Is there something to this or are people just reading between the lines?

Lou has said this a couple of times. Just before the Rock opened he said they wanted to have all their teams in Jersey, and it was around that time that they were trying to get an arena built in Lakewood, but that fell through. My guess is move Lowell to Trenton, and just stick Trenton anywhere at this point. Of the few Trenton fans left, how many would be upset that they're losing an ECHL team and getting an AHL team?

lowell in NJ seems like a disaster waiting to happen. there's no excess demand for professional hockey in this area.

you know its funny, when I made the suggestion I didn't even consider that "Lowell" actually has to sell seats and have a fan base... I missed that

I was 100% thinking of the advantages to the big club and the incredible expense savings of using the Devils' owned Rock

'S OK. There are a few consistent arguments, really. Lowell has a good location for the AHL, better than Trenton because there's not a lot of overnight travel. Counter that with the lack of income due to no fanbase, and the distance from Newark if there's a call-up. The rumor mill is just starting, this is going to be fun, bring popcorn and beer. Springfield, Binghamton, Hartford, Albany, probably not Portland although that affiliation is up in the air too. So lots of places to move, just a question of the balance sheet -- and woe to the fans who find Mickey Mouse the Devils in their backyard.

Updated the main post. According to WNYT, the team's exploring options but don't plan to move.

Yeah. The original report out of Raleigh seemed to waver between "we're looking into it" and "almost done deal", then the Rats' beat writer at the Times Union was a little too eager to hang his hat on the "almost done deal" portion, then the people who write the headlines at the TU were a little too eager to cry doom and gloom, and from there it blew up. The Rats had to call an emergency press conference at 2:30 to set the record straight. I still think it's pretty much over, they just need to finalize everything.

'S OK. There are a few consistent arguments, really. Lowell has a good location for the AHL, better than Trenton because there's not a lot of overnight travel. Counter that with the lack of income due to no fanbase, and the distance from Newark if there's a call-up. The rumor mill is just starting, this is going to be fun, bring popcorn and beer. Springfield, Binghamton, Hartford, Albany, probably not Portland although that affiliation is up in the air too. So lots of places to move, just a question of the balance sheet -- and woe to the fans who find Mickey Mouse the Devils in their backyard.

This will be a fun offseason. I think Syracuse is up in the air too, we still don't know whether Iowa's going to be sold, the temporary franchise in Austin will not be renewed for next season so they need to buy someone out... strap in, it's gonna be a hell of a ride.

Just before the Rock opened he said they wanted to have all their teams in Jersey, and it was around that time that they were trying to get an arena built in Lakewood, but that fell through.

I still wake up every day and curse Lakewood for letting that fall through. That woulda been AWESOME!

I still wake up every day and curse Lakewood for letting that fall through. That woulda been AWESOME!

yeah it def would of been, having the Blueclaws and the AHL team there would be great. i also think attendence would be 5x as good as lowell...the blueclaws are constantly in the top of MiLB in attendence.

Edited by Mike441

Trenton is okay. if they moved them into the Rock or down the shore, they'd have to their heads examined, because they'd be siphoning business away from themselves

Trenton is okay. if they moved them into the Rock or down the shore, they'd have to their heads examined, because they'd be siphoning business away from themselves

I can only speak for myself, but in my own case I'd have to disagree. I can't afford to go to too many Devils games in Newark anymore, be it because of the ticket prices or the travel demands or whatever. But if you put a team in Lakewood with minor-league ticket prices, I'd be able to get my fix on the cheap more regularly while still making my every-now-and-then trips to The Rock. If anything, the Devils would be making more money off of me, not losing my Newark dollars while taking more of my money in Lakewood.

Besides, this particular area of the Shore is kinda up for grabs in terms of team loyalty. It's not like Trenton where it's Flyers country. This area is probably 45% Devils, 45% Rangers, 10% Flyers. Putting a Devils team here could definitely help swing those numbers in their favor.

But, it's a moot discussion anyway. It ain't gonna happen.