Tortorella on the Rangers

Neb00rs

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=525777&navid=DL|NHL|home

Break 'em up -- John Tortorella gave new meaning to the term "breakup day" this week when he spoke about the 2009-10 New York Rangers.

Tortorella was blunt in what went well and what didn't for the Rangers, who were denied a playoff berth on the final day of the season when they lost in a shootout to the Flyers.

"I wasn't crazy about the room," Tortorella said Tuesday. "That isn't an indictment of Chris Drury or Ryan Callahan or our leadership group. I think some people need to be weeded out of there. It's certainly not our core people.

"I think that room doesn't sustain itself. I don't think the room's a strong room.

"I think some guys need to be bumped out."

That is a pretty damning indictment of the team that finished 38-33-11 and was 7-1-2 down the stretch. But he called the efforts of his team's star forwards "despicable" in the season finale.

"We played a (gutsy) game against Philly in our building and we had zero top guys show up in Philly, which was despicable," Tortorella said. "I think (Marian) Gaborik's a legitimate star but I don't like the way he has played in big games. I think he needs to cross the line there, but we've got some pieces here.

"We need to add to it. Then when you get an opportunity -- hey, I might not even be here -- but when you get there and you're not fighting ninth and eighth every year you might be a legitimately good team for a while."

What the guy says may be right, may not be. My issue is making it public. Nothing like this ever gains respect from a locker room or in an office. Treat adults like adults.

This guy is a plain and simple a-hole.

Gaborik is the only reason why they were even in the position to be fighting for the playoffs. Maybe the rest of the team should scored some goals. 222 goals, Gaborik had 86 points (42 goals in 76 games). That's a pretty high percentage for one guy. Considering the next highest was Prospal with 58 (20 goals in 75 games).

Say what you want, but he's right to an extent here. The comment about Gaborik, well, he can't do it himself. He's not quite that kind of player. Few are. Torts also seems to forget he had Erik Christensen as his center for a good amount of time this year. Yeah, Erik Christensen.

The problem here is this is stuff you don't say in in papers. People have a difficult time hearing the truth nowadays.

Edited by SJP20

If Gaborik did not score those goals in October, November and December and January, the Rangers would probably be fighting for the #1 overall pick. Gaborik is the Rangers MVP this season, I mean howbout Drury, a $7 million dollar mistake, Callahan, and Dubinsky.

I dont know,guys. Scoring doesn't mean playing well all the time. Rolston just scored 2 goals in game 3 of the playoffs. Does anyone think he's playing well?

No, but he deserves a thank you for finally hitting the net. At least, he doesn't deserve to be singled out for the loss right?