Met kovalchuk last night

NYCdevil

In a somewhat related story - running into Devils players - my fiancee ran into Patrik Elias on Friday at Garden State Plaza. He was with his wife (she described her, I was able to confirm from seeing photos previously - though apparently she's had some "enhancements" since the photos I've seen), and apparently just looked completely spaced out. She saw him, hesitated, and asked as they walked near each, "Are you Patrik Elias?" He said, "Yes," and the only thing she could think to say was, "...I'm sad about the game last night." Elias' response was typical Elias, apparently he kinda shrugged and said, "Sorry," then continued on his way.

Elias doesn't like dealing with people in general (quite the introvert, it seems), and I'm sure he was still super-bummed about being eliminated.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a somewhat related story - running into Devils players - my fiancee ran into Patrik Elias on Friday at Garden State Plaza. He was with his wife (she described her, I was able to confirm from seeing photos previously - though apparently she's had some "enhancements" since the photos I've seen), and apparently just looked completely spaced out. She saw him, hesitated, and asked as they walked near each, "Are you Patrik Elias?" He said, "Yes," and the only thing she could think to say was, "...I'm sad about the game last night." Elias' response was typical Elias, apparently he kinda shrugged and said, "Sorry," then continued on his way.

Elias doesn't like dealing with people in general (quite the introvert, it seems), and I'm sure he was still super-bummed about being eliminated.

i've met elias a couple times - he is VERY quiet around people. even at team events, he usually gives a polite nod and a brief word. i never took any meaning out of it. some players are just guarded like that.

Met kovalchuk last night at a russian restaurant in manhattan. wasn't exactly tooo friendly but i did tell him i was a huge devils fan and i like what he did on the team. he said thank you and kind of brushed it off and as he was walking away i yelled please stay in jersey and he yelled back "this is the place to be".. take it for what it is

Hey...what restaurant was he at?

I can't help but wonder if the coachign change will make a difference or if this will strickly be about the money. It seems as if Kovy has wanted to keep himself distant from the issue but on the other hand turned down a great deal with Atlanta so I must admit a bit of confusion. I hear Kovy saying all the right things about his love of NJ and the organization but is he really willing to take less for NJ?

Every time I meet Elias he is the same. Really shy and quiet. Sometimes he's cranky.

At the team BBQ he was refusing to take pictures with people. He said to one woman "sorry, we're not allowed." His security guy had to tell him that he was allowed to take pictures. And he said "guess I have to. okay let's go." I thought that was mean.

I did like seeing him hold up his line at the meet and greet during the Lowell game so he could make himself a cup of tea. That was funny.

Met kovalchuk last night at a russian restaurant in manhattan. wasn't exactly tooo friendly but i did tell him i was a huge devils fan and i like what he did on the team. he said thank you and kind of brushed it off and as he was walking away i yelled please stay in jersey and he yelled back "this is the place to be".. take it for what it is

Which Russian Restaurant? FIrebird???

Every time I meet Elias he is the same. Really shy and quiet. Sometimes he's cranky.

At the team BBQ he was refusing to take pictures with people. He said to one woman "sorry, we're not allowed." His security guy had to tell him that he was allowed to take pictures. And he said "guess I have to. okay let's go." I thought that was mean.

I did like seeing him hold up his line at the meet and greet during the Lowell game so he could make himself a cup of tea. That was funny.

Yeah I heard stuff like that about Patrik too, and that he is a little bit of a recluse. I also heard that Sykora back in the day in his last year with the team was not liked by the rest of the team and that his friendship with Sykora kinda cooled, but that was just rumors.

I really hope the Devils will not sit on their butts when picking a new coach because that is a big factor of where the Free Agents decide to play. They need to figure this out by at least a week before the draft.

As far as playing in Russia. I'm going to compare Kovalchuk with Ovechkin.

I think Ovie would go to Russia and Kovalchuk would NOT. Why? KIDS!

Ovie is a young kid that is already a rockstar in his country. For a young Russian it would be fun to be a rich guy doing whatever the hell he wants in one of the most expensive cities in the world (Moscow).

Kovalchuk has three kids and a wife. His mother also lives here. But let me ask this. If you were a father of three kids, would you want to take your kids out of America to go to Russia? The kids are all American citizens and have the opportunity to go to American private schools and colleges with health care. He has the chance to live in or around NYC, Chicago, LA, or any city he wants to go to.

I think that is a huge factor and if Kovie is mature about it, I think he'll realize that this is the place to be.

As far as playing in Russia. I'm going to compare Kovalchuk with Ovechkin.

I think Ovie would go to Russia and Kovalchuk would NOT. Why? KIDS!

Ovie is a young kid that is already a rockstar in his country. For a young Russian it would be fun to be a rich guy doing whatever the hell he wants in one of the most expensive cities in the world (Moscow).

Kovalchuk has three kids and a wife. His mother also lives here. But let me ask this. If you were a father of three kids, would you want to take your kids out of America to go to Russia? The kids are all American citizens and have the opportunity to go to American private schools and colleges with health care. He has the chance to live in or around NYC, Chicago, LA, or any city he wants to go to.

I think that is a huge factor and if Kovie is mature about it, I think he'll realize that this is the place to be.

What????

Its probably just the opposite. Ovie is a rockstar in Russia because of his success in America.

To have a wife and three kids your more likely to go back home (Russia) for your extended family.

Doesn't really matter since Kovy is not coming back.

What????

Its probably just the opposite. Ovie is a rockstar in Russia because of his success in America.

To have a wife and three kids your more likely to go back home (Russia) for your extended family.

Doesn't really matter since Kovy is not coming back.

I don't see Kovy's kids as being much of a factor for him. Brylin said his kids were able to make the transition into the Russian school system with a little effort. Fame and being a rockstar is of little importance too, these guys are used to the spotlight and are not all about vanity. However, Kovy might be all about money and if that's true he's going to Russia. I don't think this is going to happen though because I think Kovy wants to prove he can be a winner in the NHL and win a Cup. If the Devils had taken the Cup this year, I think he'd go back to Russia.

Edited by ben00rs